Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some beginner CNC uses

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I'm very happy with my OneFinity CNC. It's not a CAMaster but it only costs a fraction. For a hobbyist it's a very capable machine.

If I didn't already have an Avid 4x4, I would give the OneFinity CNC some serious consideration. I like the fact that it is "semi-portable" and could be stowed away when not in use.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    If I didn't already have an Avid 4x4, I would give the OneFinity CNC some serious consideration. I like the fact that it is "semi-portable" and could be stowed away when not in use.
    David
    It's actually possible to mount it on a wall and use it.

Thanks for sharing that video. Very versatile indeed!
    David

Gotta wonder about the extras strain on the stepper motors in that orientation for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Continuing on with my learning I made a little piece of curved molding yesterday, just because. VCarve Pro is pretty amazing; you can start with nothing more that the outer shape you want and a separate cross sectional view of the molding profile.

You can turn that into a toolpath with just a few clicks and verify it's what you want with the simulation view.

And then machine the molding.

The finish straight off the machine was pretty amazing, as you can see above. It won't take much sanding to make it finish ready.

This little piece took almost 30 minutes to cut so you wouldn't want to have to make a lot of molding this way, but for special projects like the gooseneck moldings on a grandfather clock or armoire, or an oval picture frame, or some crown molding for a cabinet it looks like a much easier option than doing it by hand. And compared to a molding machine the tooling costs are essentially zero as you use the bits you already have. Amazing what you can with this thing.

John

The molding tool path is a really neat "problem solver" beyond just the obvious use. I've been employing it for relief cuts on guitar bodies, for example, to avoid the 3D dance which takes a lot more time to cut.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...