Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phones

I use an Otterbox Defender case and charging mats don't work with it. Google Pixel 4XL. Wife has a iPhone 13 Pro and her case while not an Otterbox doesn't reliably work with a mat either. I haven't had any trouble with USB C ports and charge my phone nightly. I heard the other day that the current iPhone SE works poorly on 5g because it doesn't use all the bands it has. I think that was Kim Komando that said that.

I have a Samsung S21 Ultra 5G with the Otterbox Defender and wirelessly charge with no issue. Some of the new phones need higher power chargers and older wireless chargers may not work.

My home security system had to be upgraded to the new cell requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I use the largest one that fits comfortably in my pocket. My fingers have a hard time with the touch screen keyboard on the small ones. I don't feel put out by using a cord for charging. Out of habit, when I take my pants off at night, the phone gets plugged in, and goes back in a pocket in the morning.
    I use an XL horizontal belt holster 'cause it fits the big iPhone 13 Pro Max as well as my previous iPhone XS Max, provides additional protection and keeps my phone always in the exact same place no matter what I'm wearing...or not wearing. I charge wirelessly on a pad on my nightstand. I like the larger phone for many reasons, but one of them is it's easier to see what's on the screen.

Ron, I use Spigen thin cases and have no charging issues with wireless chargers. I can do those cases because as noted, I also carry my phone in a holster which provides further protection when it's not in my hand.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    My home security system had to be upgraded to the new cell requirements.
    Sorry, what? Was the 5g interfering with it, or it couldn't call home?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Sorry, what? Was the 5g interfering with it, or it couldn't call home?
    The cellular backup or cellular regular connections were pegged to 3G on many alarm systems that had wireless support. Same with many other devices like whole house generators, etc. To retain cellular connectivity from them, they either had to be upgraded with a new communications "module" (whatever that entailed for the device) or the system had to be replaced if it was not upgradable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    You can get a new flip phone that will still work with Verizon.

A heck of a lot better than that, get a Tracphone. My flip phone was $19.99 + $20 a month for unlimited talk, and a GB of data. With government fees, and sales taxes, works out to a little over $22 a month. Was paying Verizon over $35 a month, with only 750 minutes, which I never used up. Verizon also wanted over $100 for a new phone, despite the fact that my contract said a new phone every two years - FREE! FYI, customer service at Verizon is CUSTOMER NO SERVICE Spent over four hours to tell them to drop dead. Now they are hounding me for a sum of money for which I have the receipt. Told them that for $40 an hour and ten bucks a page, I would send them a copy of receipt. That's the same rate local clerk of court charges, so it's not unreasonable. Verizon now owns Tracphone
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 03-14-2022 at 9:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I use an XL horizontal belt holster 'cause it fits the big iPhone 13 Pro Max as well as my previous iPhone XS Max, provides additional protection and keeps my phone always in the exact same place no matter what I'm wearing...or not wearing. I charge wirelessly on a pad on my nightstand. I like the larger phone for many reasons, but one of them is it's easier to see what's on the screen.

Ron, I use Spigen thin cases and have no charging issues with wireless chargers. I can do those cases because as noted, I also carry my phone in a holster which provides further protection when it's not in my hand.
    I use a holster also. Even though I rarely drop my phone I like the protection of the Otter Box. I'm basing my experience on two different wireless charging locations. One in a Toyota Avalon and one on the nightstand. It might make a difference in the base but that's only speculation. The USB C is extremely reliable however. Never an issue in 6 years but sometimes cables fail but not often. Maybe Apple will bring the iPhone up to date eventually. I will wait until the Pixel 7 comes out before I upgrade again. I should clarify the wife has an iPhone 13 Pro Max. Our bill dropped to under a $100 for 2 phones and unlimited data. Her new iPhone was only just over $300 because of an $800 credit. This is with Verizon.

I have purchased 8 used cell phones off of https://swappa.com/mobile/verizon and only had problems with one of them, it was locked out. I got my money back on the bad phone the next day as soon as FedEx showed the prepaid package was received at their store front. Swappa acts as a intermediary between used phone sellers and used phone buyers to ensure the buyer gets what the seller says they are getting.

I generally stay a model or two behind the latest flagship phones which works out well for me and I pay about 1/4 the original prices. Every phone I have purchased thru swappa has been in excellent condition... except the ones advertised as "Mint condition" which arrived looking brand new. A half dozen family/friends have also purchased phones there due to my recommendation and they all have been very happy.

I purchased an used LG V60 about 6 months ago thru swappa for $185 and love it; being an android guy. The V60 was about $1000 when it first came out. I went with the LG because it still has a headphone port which I REALLY appreciate (Samsung followed Apple and dropped headphone ports). 5G data speed is REALLY nice! I will never buy a new phone again and I will certainly never buy a new phone from a cellular company!

P.S. I also dumped Verizon and went to Mint (buy a T-Mobile phone if you do). My cell bill went from $80/month for 2 phones with 2gb of data shared between my daughter and myself to $185 for 6 months of service with 10gb data each (20gb data a month total) for my daughter and I (I actually paid $120 for 6 months of service on 2 phones because they were running a sale... $185 for 6 months looks like the current going rate). That is over a 60% savings with much better service and 5G in my remote neck of the woods which Verizon isn't near to offering in my area. I kept my old Verizon phone number of course. We moved my daughters Note 9 from Verizon to Mint and it just took an extra call to Verizon to get the unlock code for her phone, which took all of 5 minutes. If there is no amount due on your Verizon phone they are required by law to give you the unlock code on request.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 03-15-2022 at 4:34 PM.

I have been looking at the Tracfone Samsung A02 with 1500 minutes of talk 1500 text and 1.5GB of data for $59.96 plus tax free shipping or the Moto G Pure with the same plan for $89.98 plus free shipping from QVC. Both have a 6.5 screen. I know my Tracfone is on the Verizon network and I don't have to deal with them for CS. I have had Tracfones now for 7 years and the plans work for me. My wife is on a Page Plus plan that works for her because she doesn't use many minutes. We do have a land line for most of our calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    I have purchased 8 used cell phones off of https://swappa.com/mobile/verizon and only had problems with one of them, it was locked out. I got my money back on the bad phone the next day as soon as FedEx showed the prepaid package was received at their store front. Swappa acts as a intermediary between used phone sellers and used phone buyers to ensure the buyer gets what the seller says they are getting.

I generally stay a model or two behind the latest flagship phones which works out well for me and I pay about 1/4 the original prices. Every phone I have purchased thru swappa has been in excellent condition... except the ones advertised as "Mint condition" which arrived looking brand new. A half dozen family/friends have also purchased phones there due to my recommendation and they all have been very happy.

I purchased an used LG V60 about 6 months ago thru swappa for $185 and love it being an android guy. The V60 was about $1000 when it first came out. I went with the LG because it still has a headphone port which I REALLY appreciate (Samsung followed Apple and dropped headphone ports). 5G data speed is REALLY nice! I will never buy a new phone again and I will certainly never buy a new phone from a cellular company!

P.S. I also dumped Verizon and went to Mint (buy a T-Mobile phone if you do). My cell bill went from $80/month for 2 phones with 2gb of data shared between my daughter and myself to $185 for 6 months of service with 10gb data each (20gb data a month total) for my daughter and I (I actually paid $120 for 6 months of service on 2 phones because they were running a sale... $185 for 6 months looks like the current going rate). That is over a 60% savings with much better service and 5G in my remote neck of the woods which Verizon isn't near to offering in my area. I kept my old Verizon phone number of course. We moved my daughters Note 9 from Verizon to Mint and it just took an extra call to Verizon to get the unlock code for her phone, which took all of 5 minutes. If there is no amount due on your Verizon phone they are required by law to give you the unlock code on request.
    +1 on Mint, it seems like the best deal going for larger monthly allotments of data. One thing I did read about T mobile phones - be sure a new phone supports band 71. Band 71 supposedly helps a lot in areas with marginal coverage. I'm using an unlocked from the factory Nokia made by I think TCL. It's 4G not 5G but so far so good with coverage.

Went through that particular kabuki dance last year with Consumer Cellular, which uses the T-Mobile network.

My 2016-model Samsung J3 would no longer be able to do voice calls because it did not support voice over LTE...texts and data would still be available. Bad timing, I guess: GF's one-year-newer J3 would still work, but of course she was the one who wanted a new phone anyway.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    ATT&T sent my entire family free phones to replace those we had that didn't comply with something or other. Granted they were flip phones but none of us are really big phone people. They spent a lot of time over the last year or so telling us our phones wouldn't work when 5g came out. We waited them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    The other thing I'd pay attention to is battery life. You don't want it to die on you in the middle of the day, and if you're like me, you might occasionally forget to plug it in at night. A large battery is very helpful, but you really need to pay attention to the battery life, because a more demanding phone will discharge even a large battery quickly.

Personally preference - If you want a bargain, stay away from Apple. We've been buying my wife bargain Android phones for a while, and can usually find her something decent in the $200 range, brand new.
    I guess it depends on your usage. I turn data off when I'm home unless I have time sensitive email going on. Check email on the PC a few times a day. Turning data off helps with battery life quite a lot. An Apple phone for $429 isn't bad. I'm not a fan of walled gardens but Apple supports their phones longer than Android so cost/year may not be that much different from the mid range and better Android phones.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Looks like I need a new phone by Dec. Verizon sent me a letter that my old cell phone will not be usable any more. They will not support 3G or 4G phones that do not support HD voice. Let me first say I have no idea what that means and even if you explain it I probably will not understand it. So it looks like I will have to finally get rid of my flip phone and step up to one of these flat screen phones. Thanks in advance.

OK with that said here is what I am asking. A few things I want is
    not expensive
    Ease of use( have big hands)
    good camera
    not too large
    good quality
    be able to view in daylight

Now things you think I should have and hould ask about.

Thanks

There are so many choices. You mentioned not expensive. Do you have a figure in mind? Most modern phones with large screens will fit your requirements.

2 options:

$450: Pixel 5a. Good camera, medium-large screen, bright, no nonsense interface, wireless charging etc.

$300-350: Samsung A42/52/53. Good phones. If you have not used smartphone before you won't miss anything.

I would suggest going with lower priced options. Eventually, you will use more features of the phone than you have listed and will know requirements better. Then in few years, if needed, upgrade to higher end phones.

My parents started with Samsung A series. They outgrew it in 2-3 years. Then they switched to Pixel 3a. This year I will move them to Pixel 6a. Personally, I moved from Pixel 3 to 6 this year 'cause it was too old w.r.t. updates for accessing company emails. Otherwise, I would have used it till it died. Point being, for normal usage, 2-3 years back, phones already had everything one would need.

So much is determined by how you use the phone.

I wanted a phone with the best camera as one feature. I mentioned earlier that I had the Samsung S21 Ultra. The camera is really good and takes clear sharp pictures in all conditions. I take pics of birds on the back porch sitting in my recliner or close ups of things I am working on. The camera is much better than any other phone camera I have owned.

I read books on my phone, listen to audiobooks, listen to SiriusXM or many other things. While expensive, it really is worth it to me.