Thread: So how does a program still run after it's un-installed?

So how does a program still run after it's un-installed?

Computers truly hate me, I swear--

I'm clueless about this one- Been having trouble with my computer connecting to my IS400 engraver, just out of the blue, which is run from Gravostyle7 (I also have Gravo5 installed) so I uninstalled Gravostyle7 so as to re-install it... But G7 still runs...

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Maybe part of the application installation installed a component as a service. How did you uninstall it? Many applications uninstall feature is incomplete. Windows uninstall feature is even worse. I’ve used Revo UnInstaller for years. I’m sure there’s others out there. There’s a lot better geeks on here than me. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Gravostyle doesn't have an uninstall option, so I used Windows. I normally use CCleaner's uninstall, but I've recently rebuilt 3 computers and haven't put CCleaner back on them yet.

Funny thing is, G7 is flagged by several AV's as a virus...

Anyway, that was all a secondary issue, the main issue was the machine not making connection, to ANY of the 3 computers-! I finally spied the controller on the machine was displaying "MACHINE????"-- which in Gravograph language means I'm trying send into to a 'wrong machine'. I finally figured out the problem: My "IS-400 Point N Shoot", after a decade plus of faithful service, decided it was no longer a 'point n shoot' version, but just simply an "IS-400". How the hell did that happen? No power outages, power spikes, circuit breakers to my machines get turned off every night-- but this morning its configuration changed. Once I re-configured it to a PNS, it's now working fine...
    I swear....banghead.gifpullinghair.giforelse.gifdrinking.gif
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I feel your pain. I blame the countless updates which are about 99% harmless, with that 1% which causes all the frustration. I'm guessing something like that, either windows, or who knows what.

Blog Entries
    I think it was probably running G5 if that was installed. Programs will pick up text and ini files hidden that have internal text which might not really be related to version the program you are running. RD works is like that.
    But even more fun is trying to print through an 2001 HP laserjet with only a network connection and a parallel port. I have to use a parallel to USB cable which usually works 50% of the time. If I use thumb drive it stops the printer..... go figure. I usually have to restart the computer to rid itself of offline issue. Even when the computer recognizes that I am plugging and unplugging the USB cable. I'm too cheap for my own good. If it didn't print really well I'd chunk it. But I can get 10,000 pages off of one toner cartridge which costs less than the black in my new inkjet.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

G5 and G7, aside from the operational basics, are very different visually and use different dongles. I even have 2 different dongles for G7 as one is a full-on version but is laser only (runs my LS100), the other is a 'discovery' version (not much editing power) and can run both lasers or rotary machines. If I try to run any of them without a dongle I get a "hasp not found" error. If I open G7 with only the G5 dongle plugged in (or vice versa), the program will load but displays an 'activation screen' wanting a code.

Another pisser is that I have 2 Gravograph lasers, but they're years apart, the newer LS100 requires a much newer "L-Solution" driver than my older LS900, and years ago I actually corrupted the firmware in the 900's controller when I ran the machine with the G7 software-- the new driver allows for up to 3600 dpi settings, which I tried on the 900, which was only configured for up to 1200 dpi, and the machine went nuts. And ever since, I can't even run the 900 from Gravostyle without the driver crashing, I can only run it from Corel. And you can't load both drivers on the same computer because any L-solution driver that's loaded when trying to install a second one gets deleted-- which means I can't send jobs to both lasers from the same computer, even if the machines are connected different computers. So ever since I've owned the LS100 I've needed a different computer just for IT. PIA but oh well

And after getting my first rebuilt Win7 Ultimate 64 all set up, I put it in the garage shop just crazy happy knowing I'm finally going to have a fast computer upstairs! -right up until I couldn't get the GCC to run. Spent a whole day trying to figure out what the hell the problem was when I finally got to the part in the setup manual that reminded me of what I totally forgot: The GCC driver is ONLY compatible with a 32 bit computer... AGGHH!!

Hate computers, but they make me money, what a conundrum
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm glad you are having so much fun with them.. I do too. I had my second fiber on same network as my co2 and my first fiber, they both run off my main desktop. Added a laptop to run 2nd fiber. Finally got it to where I could see files on both and easily transfer to the laptop. I recently bought new desktop for my wife as the 10 year old one had just about died, HDD was giving me failures and so I decided to change out the drive to a SSD and move it to replace the laptop. Still haven't been able to get the two desktops to see files on each other. Win 10 and different ages. Both supposedly running same 'updates', but with windows, that doesn't mean anything. Just won't share files.... And the old updated pc fails to read USB thumb drives about 20% of the time. Never did that in the past.... just about want to chunk it.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

There's so many ways filesharing can get screwed up - What I do that seems to work:

--go into control panel/networks and sharing center, then hit "change advanced sharing settings"...
    Then, in both public AND private settings:
    network discovery ON
    file & print sharing ON
    ...anyone with network access... ON
    Media streaming OFF (don't know if it matters, I don't stream!)
    enable 40-56 bit computer sharing
    password sharing OFF
    use USER ACCOUNTS (not windows) to manage....

THEN:

right click on your C drive, the click PROPERTIES-
    click the SHARING tab, then click ADVANCED SHARING,
    then click PERMISSIONS
    make sure "everyone" is in the group list, then make sure all 3 boxes, Full Control, Change, and Read, are checked-
    then hit OK, and OK again, you'll be back to the C drive properties-

THEN

click on the SECURITY tab, then make sure all users/groups have FULL controls checked--

THEN click on ADVANCED, in there is another list of users and permissions, all permissions should be "full control"

===============
    all this works for me! But that's just for your C drive, any other drives your using, thumb drives, partitioned drives, backup drives, full sharing of those means repeating the steps done with the C drive...

Note this is what works for win 7 and 8 --however, I do have my pokey win10 set up for sharing and it seems to work okay too (but I hardly ever use it so I'm not sure how WELL sharing works)

As to your thumb drives not reading, that is likely the USB port your using is going bad, or the contacts need cleaning. If the port you're using is connected to the motherboard, do all others do it? Me, only thing I hate worse than computers proper is anything USB. USB stuff fails more than anything around here. Just this morning, I fired up the 50w fiber, started EzCad, and immediately got a 'dongle not found' error. AGGHH!! I played with the cable a bit, after about 3 re-plugs EzCad started. But I'm not optimistic about full jobs running now! Hopefully it's just the cable and not one of the ports...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

It sounds like you all got it all but if you need any help with file sharing I can probably lend some advice... I personally love the Synology units as a NAS. Kev, I believe there is a way to on-load your dongle to where you can copy it over to the computer and use it, so you dont have to rely on USB (I think its called Donglify). I've found that the nicer USB cables are worth the expense, especially braided USB cables as they are meant to bend without snapping the internal wire, some use thicker AWG wire too, plus theres solid copper vs braided (applying some ethernet knowledge but pretty sure a lot applies to USB). I can't say that I have had any issues using USB with any of our equipment, however I have found that some equipment/software is sensitive to computer sleep settings, especially our new Keyence; if my laptop goes into sleep mode I have to force close the program as it freezes, reopen and it takes forever to reload and if your file wasn't saved, kiss it goodbye. Usually we just put a dedicated computer with sleep settings disabled, but network connections are just so convenient.