Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to 220v Laguna Bandsaw Light?

I have an 18BX and also passed on the $200 Laguna light. Right now I use a $29 rechargeable LED light with a magnetic base. It works ok for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    While that will work, it is not safe. The ground conductor should never carry current (except in a fault condition). What you describe is the reason "neutral" exists separate from "ground".
    Dan, I understand what you are saying, but there all kinds of devices that use polarized 2 prong plugs sold today. For example, our iron, our cable box, and our box fan, all purchased within the last 5 years, have 2 prong polarized plugs. How would my idea be any different than these? I hope this doesn’t sound like I’m being short or disrespectful, because I’m not. I just want to understand the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Pfenning View Post
    Dan, I understand what you are saying, but there all kinds of devices that use polarized 2 prong plugs sold today. For example, our iron, our cable box, and our box fan, all purchased within the last 5 years, have 2 prong polarized plugs. How would my idea be any different than these? I hope this doesn’t sound like I’m being short or disrespectful, because I’m not. I just want to understand the difference.
    They all return current though the neutral not the ground as I believe you suggested earlier. The ground is only used if there is a fault. If you connect one side of the light to the ground and there is a fault (open circuit) in the ground return you can end up energizing the ground wire which is an obvious safety hazard.

i have a 14bx and grabbed 2 LED llghts from Amazon. I have 110 outlet for the lights and 220 for the bandsaw. Works great, and $17.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

It's a nice looking light that Laguna is very proud of. But $200 is a little too much for me. I got a light very similar to this LIGHT for my Grizzly. My grizzly has a key switch so I tied it to that. I got the one that screws onto the saw vs a magnetic base. I have it screwed to the top of the saw above the upper door. I ran the power cord along the top of the saw so I could run the wire inside the spline down to the contactor. Some of these lights have a transformer at the end of the cord that's also the plug. This one doesn't, which is why I got it. I got a surface mounted receptacle that dropped into a hole I drilled above the spline to plug it into. I tied it to one leg of the 240v and the neutral. When I turn the key switch off the light shuts off. The light has a switch on it too but I just leave it switched on.

As Dan indicated using an Edison base lamp on 240 volts in North America will pose a safety hazard due to the lamp shell being at line potential.

On my bandsaw I use an IKEA LED desk lamp that has a 120 to 250 volt driver and 12 volt wire to the lamp.

The lamp is a flexible gooseneck type that I clip to a magnet to mount it on the saw….Regards, Rod

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Another choice is two 120 volt bulbs in series from a 240 volt supply.
    Bill D.
    Thats where my mind went. I know it works with incandescent. I am curious about that for LEDs. Wont the capacitors in the LED bulbs become part of the circuit? Would the diodes act as a rectifier creating DC between the two LEDs?
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-14-2022 at 8:57 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Thanks for all the help guys. Decided to go with this LED lamp that claims to be able to handle 110 to 250V. I've still got questions about where the power goes, but I think it will be fine with a plug adapter, which will run it down the other line. It's about 1/3 the price of the Laguna model, and seems oddly similar...... If it doesn't work, I can use it somewhere else, and if it melts down, at least it wasn't a ton of money at risk.

That should work. FYI, unless you linked the wrong plug adapter, the polarity is wrong - I think you need the 120V female.

As to where the power goes - it's the same as for the 240V motor on the saw, right?

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    I have an 18BX and also passed on the $200 Laguna light. Right now I use a $29 rechargeable LED light with a magnetic base. It works ok for my needs.
    This ^^^

I bought a gooseneck LED lamp on amazon for about $40. Magnetic base, dimming feature. Runs off AA’s but runs forever if you use lithiums. Lots of simple options to solve this issue. Hope this helps.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    That should work. FYI, unless you linked the wrong plug adapter, the polarity is wrong - I think you need the 120V female.
    Doh! Good catch.

I seem to remember another thread on this exact subject not all that long ago...but maybe I'm wrong.

I know that you've already decided on a solution, Andrew, but I'll also mention that there are some pretty good, battery powered, LED lamp solutions available that could easily be stuck onto something like a bandsaw. No cord and still bright, LED light.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I seem to remember another thread on this exact subject not all that long ago...but maybe I'm wrong.
    Before I posted I did find one other thread from 2018 with this subject, which is where I got the idea for the Lee Valley battery powered, magnetic base model I also ordered. However, I feel like that thread was as inconclusive as this one has been so far, with the final outcome being a decision to avoid the problem by ordering a light that wasn't tied to the plug on the bandsaw, which is why I tried to focus this thread on that solution.

FWIW, I plan to report back on my success (or pics of the burnt out shop) so that other can follow (or avoid following) in my footsteps. I should get the light tomorrow, and the adapter plug on Friday.

Blog Entries
    I make a point of detensioning my bandsaw after use. That comes with some inconvenience. If i turn on the saw when it’s not under tension, the blade comes off the wheels. And I sometimes forget to detention when I leave.

So…I have two gooseneck led lights that are hooked up to a micro switch. The lights are on when the blade is under tension. That has been just enough of a reminder. I don’t turn the saw on without the lights. And when I turn off the lights, it’s easy to see if I need to detention.

I have the same scheme on my Sawstop. Any time the saw is on, a light above the saw is on. This is mostly a reminder to me to turn off the saw.

How long is the 18bx's extension cord? I ordered one and will be picking it up this weekend.

Too bad the machine isn't wired for a four wire feed. Then it would be pretty easy to convert the light outlet for 110v. And if your shop receptacle has a neutral in the box, swapping the three wire to a four wire is a piece of cake.

Now that I'm thinking about this, I believe I will wire my receptacle for a four wire feed and convert the saw's 220 receptacle to 110.