Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternatives to 220v Laguna Bandsaw Light?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I have the same scheme on my Sawstop. Any time the saw is on, a light above the saw is on. This is mostly a reminder to me to turn off the saw.
    Sorry, why would you turn off your SawStop? Or does the light turn out when the blade is not running?

Do not follow my advice on using only one leg of the 220vac with the ground. I spoke to my electrician this morning, and he set me straight. As mentioned by several others here, the ground should not complete the circuit. On a 2 prong device, the hot and neutral carry the electrical load, with no safety ground. I think the best solution is an aftermarket LED light that will accept multi voltage inputs. Many of these are rated for 100-240vac with automatically adjusting transformers.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Sorry, why would you turn off your SawStop? Or does the light turn out when the blade is not running?
    The SS has a master on/off power switch that's easy to forget...the paddle is used to turn the blade on/off beyond that. So forgetting to fully turn it off means someone could bump the blade into action.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The SS has a master on/off power switch that's easy to forget...the paddle is used to turn the blade on/off beyond that. So forgetting to fully turn it off means someone could bump the blade into action.
    Yes, I'm aware of that switch, I was just struggling to find a reason to turn it off completely, since the power drain is likely very low. However you raise a very good safety concern, particularly with kids, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Pfenning View Post
    I think the best solution is an aftermarket LED light that will accept multi voltage inputs. Many of these are rated for 100-240vac with automatically adjusting transformers.
    I found some photos showing the transformer I used for my drill press light. The transformer was $15 for a 2-pack from Amazon. Requires a suitable LED light, obviously. I did need to add a resistor to drop the current slightly.

It's stuck to the bottom of the enclosure in this photo, wired directly to the 240VAC terminals on the VFD.

20220113_0009.jpg

20220112_0002.jpg

For what it's worth, I have one of these on my bandsaw: https://woodturnerswonders.com/produ...ose-lathe-lamp

It's very bright and very small.

So I was able to successfully use this LED from Amazon. The bulb claims to be rated for both 110v and 220v, but the cord is setup for 110v, requiring this adapter plug. I plugged it into 220V, and no escaping magic smoke, flicker, or fires.

I also have the Lee Valley battery operated task light, which is also great. The magnet is surprisingly strong, and the goose neck stays where you put it.

The Amazon lite looks a lot like Laguna’s.

The Lee Valley one looks exactly like the Rikon lite I linked to back in post #12.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    So I was able to successfully use this LED from Amazon. The bulb claims to be rated for both 110v and 220v, but the cord is setup for 110v, requiring this adapter plug. I plugged it into 220V, and no escaping magic smoke, flicker, or fires.
    I bought this light as well. I was about to mount it in the same location the Laguna light mounts, but the base dimension is smaller and the mounting holes do not line up..... How did you go about mounting it? I was thinking about making a wood adapter plate of sorts, but am lacking motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    I bought this light as well. I was about to mount it in the same location the Laguna light mounts, but the base dimension is smaller and the mounting holes do not line up..... How did you go about mounting it? I was thinking about making a wood adapter plate of sorts, but am lacking motivation.
    That's a good question. Scrap piece of 2x4 cleaned up, and spray painted black. Mounted using the Laguna pre-drilled holes.

Is that light you got on amazon significantly brighter than the one that Laguna makes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Schmidt View Post
    Is that light you got on amazon significantly brighter than the one that Laguna makes?

I don't know, and I don't know how I could compare the two, since I don't have the Laguna light. I believe the spec are there for both lights, but you know, they're specs.

FWIW, here is the light installed with the block for an adapter.PXL_20220410_043031513.jpg