Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another bandsaw? - Agazzani Model 600 vs. SCMI 24"

Yikes! Good thing I asked about the transport. By laying it down on the spine do you mean laying it down on the operator side of the saw? That would make the motor side facing up. I'll have to check if a 5'x9' trailer is long enough. I hauled a Bridgeport mill standing upright on a trailer a few years back and was on pins and needles the entire trip.

The spine is the column at the back of the saw...it's a flat surface. The wheels would be perpendicular to the floor as they are in normal use, but horizontal rather than vertical.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    What are the details on that disc/belt sander behind it? It looks to be a beast. That mill table to the right also looks massive.
    The 48" belt/ 12" disc sander is an old Delta/Rockwell machine that had once belonged to a school district, then a second life with Sydney Sabots (which was long ago sold to Catalina Yachts), at which time I bought it, decades ago, rebuilding it. It is my mainstay for metal and wood working.

The mill table belongs to an even more ancient Index "Super 55" manual mill on which I taught myself milling. Attached is a photo of that machine and also photos of the very first part I ever made on a mill--a boom end fitting, of my own design, for a 4" diameter boom on a 30' sailboat. That part also required the use of a rotary table, again, the first time I ever used an RT.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    The 48" belt/ 12" disc sander is an old Delta/Rockwell machine that had once belonged to a school district, then a second life with Sydney Sabots (which was long ago sold to Catalina Yachts), at which time I bought it, decades ago, rebuilding it. It is my mainstay for metal and wood working.

The mill table belongs to an even more ancient Index "Super 55" manual mill on which I taught myself milling. Attached is a photo of that machine and also photos of the very first part I ever made on a mill--a boom end fitting, of my own design, for a 4" diameter boom on a 30' sailboat. That part also required the use of a rotary table, again, the first time I ever used an RT.

Nice metal work area and machining on the boom end fitting. I so want a Monarch 10EE or a Rivett 1020S.

Thank you Steve.

Place bandsaw on spine like this ...
    bandsaw move.jpg

7. Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post

Impressive work for a manual mill. Is that a Monarch EE lathe???

Thank you. Yes, Monarch 10EE built in 1971.

While looking for specs on the SCMI 24" bandsaw I came across the photo shown below showing a move of the same saw. Laying it down on the trailer on the side opposite the motor is what I first had in mind. Seems like it would more stable than on the spine. Any idea why on the spine is preferable?
    bandsawmove.jpg

On the spine presents the lease chance of damaging anything from twisting or bouncing. I would never lay a bandsaw down like shown in that photo!! On the spine is also easier to load/unload with appropriate help, whether using a trailer or a pick-em-up truck.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    On the spine presents the lease chance of damaging anything from twisting or bouncing. I would never lay a bandsaw down like shown in that photo!! On the spine is also easier to load/unload with appropriate help, whether using a trailer or a pick-em-up truck.

Makes sense Jim. I'll go with that on my pickup manana.

As a followup to Andy's photos here's one of mine showing the metal working corner of my shop. However, it's missing proper American iron like Andy's 10EE.
    Shop Photo 001.jpg

Well, you have the Bridgeport.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Well, you have the Bridgeport.
    Yes, one of the last ones made in the US. I missed out on a basket case Rivett a few weeks past. That would've been a nice replacement for my Taiwanese made lathe. I'm looking for another one or a 10EE or Hardinge. They're all getting harder to find at a price I can afford. Did you replace the electricals on your 10EE or is it all original?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    ...10EE... Did you replace the electricals on your 10EE or is it all original?
    Mine is all original with the exception that it was originally wired for 460-volt 3-phase only operation and I converted it, using factory parts, to operate on 230-volts single phase, a simple enough modification.

Picked up the 24" SCMI bandsaw yesterday and made it home safely. All I have to do now is get it off the trailer, stand it upright and put the table, etc. back on. The saw is more robust than expected but not the cast iron frame from bygone days that I originally wanted. Nonetheless it should serve me well, especially for resawing. It came with about a half dozen extra blades of various pitches including the original fence and miter gauge. It seems to be in good shape, basically needing nothing but some cleaning. The brake even works.
    SCMI Bandsaw 001.jpg