Thread: Approach/bit selection for routing recessed pull

Approach/bit selection for routing recessed pull

I’m needing to route (6) half oval, recessed pulls in 3/4” maple fronts and trying to figure the most efficient way to go about it. I did a two step trial run using a straight bit and bushing on the semi oval template, then placed the stock on edge and 1/4” straight bit incrementally plunged to depth. It worked alright but looking for other ideas to make it a cleaner and quicker process.
    I’d like the pull to be pocketed rather than a complete cutout. The number of finger pull bits is a tad overwhelming. Looking for help to narrow down what I need to achieve the look on 3/4” stock. Any and all advice is welcome!
    Below are shots of the trial run and the design inspiration.

IMG_9293 3.jpg IMG_9294 3.jpgIMG_9295 3.jpgScreen Shot 2022-03-12 at 8.07.25 PM.jpg

It is rather straightforward to first make the opening using a straight bit, either pattern-following or with a template bushing and template. Then a second operation using either a drawer-pull bit or cove bit with guide bushing and template.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thanks, I gathered that much. It's more the bit selection that throws me off.

Searching "finger pull bits" on Freud, Whiteside and Amazon for example, yields many results of varying sizes and profiles. I'm not overly savvy with router bits beyond the most commonly used (straight, flush, rabbeting, roundover, chamfer, etc). I have a huge brain fart when I see these options and shapes I'm unfamiliar with and selecting the appropriate one. In this case, a bit that'll give a sleek pull in 3/4" fronts and leave enough material for a comfortably grip.

https://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/...l&type=product

https://www.freudtools.com/search?h=1
    Last edited by Torrey Cazalas; 03-13-2022 at 3:07 PM.

The arc is what’s complicating it. The Whiteside bit would work but the issue is no guide bearing on them. They are designed to be used with a router fence or edge guide. With the arc cut out, you can’t get the depth.

I would cut the arc first to the desired depth, then use a slot cutting bit with a bearing to create the gap of desired depth and width.

I suppose you could use a guide bushing with the template, but the bit isn’t the right profile.

A narrower rabbeting bit with an appropriate guide bearing that can ride on the top edge of the arc (I'd pattern route that for consistency) would work...it's the same idea as the slot cutting bit that RObert mentions. Some of them may be stackable to provide an appropriately dimensioned groove or you could start with it deeper (let's assume it does a quarter inch groove) and then do a second pass with the tooling repositioned to widen the cut to about a half-inch.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Slot bit is a great idea I hadn't considered.

This morning a light bulb went off in my head and figured my Domino could get me some clean plunges so I gave it a shot. I used the 10mm bit and plunged several mortises 25mm deep the length of the arc. After that, ran my router over the template and it worked like a charm!

Hmm...I completely overlooked the idea of using the Domino for the deep slot and just pattern routing the radius. Great solution!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Follow up: Here's the route I went. I abandoned the pocketed arc idea and opted for a small finger pull bit. I did think to use my Domino for the slot on the arc but my overall results were inconsistent and I'm under time constraints.

The finger pull bit worked great and I think the recesses play into the piece nicely. The client's bathroom will be "fun" and colorful so let's hope they like it! It'll get primed and sprayed this weekend w/ a terra-cotta like color and get a black quartz/granite counter. Ready to wrap this one up.

IMG_9315.jpg

So that bottom shelf gets a couple of towels and a cat. That'll be fun.

Nice work Correy.
    Mark McFarlane