Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gassed up today

Blog Entries
    Not trying to pick a fight here but I am amazed at the amount of people that drive (?) miles and sit in line for twenty minutes to save $6 on a tank full. Between driving several miles and idling for a half hour the savings are probably closer to $3.
    Most intelligent people do not idle while waiting in line for gas.

Todays prices in Longview, WA:

Fuel Price 3•13•22 Fred Meyer.png

Fred Meyer has a reward card. The fuel reward for every $100 in groceries or other items is 10˘/gallon up to $1.00/gallon. They do not distinguish between cash or CC. Many stations do.

If a retailer has to pay the bank a fee for accepting CCs, they either have to make up for it with higher prices for the users of CCs or raise prices for those paying cash.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I still remember one afternoon sitting with some friends at Denny's drinking coffee, all of us totally incredulous at the thought of only getting TWO gallons of gas for a buck!

We all swore that if that ever happened, we'd sell our cars and ride horses...

What I wouldn't give for 2 gallons of ANYTHING for buck these days...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    When I was a 16 year old $5 bucks got me a significant amount of gas. As I recall it was 34 cents a gallon. I never benefited because I was to young but recall late 60's "gas wars" and 18 or 19 cents a gallon. I guess the positive thing is I still remember those prices. I recall a few places doing a higher price for CC payers but it wasn't all stations. Yes I love pay at the pump for the reason you mentioned.
    The least I ever paid for gas was in 1998 when the oil industry had issues. I filled up my dual-tank F150 (usually about 36-37 gallons) for $28—$0.799/gal. The lowest price I ever remember seeing was in about 1988, and my dad filled the family van for $0.699/gal in Milton, KY (acroos the Ohio from Madison, IN, where we lived then).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I topped off yesterday at Costco and it was down ten cents over my previous top-off at the end of the previous week. $4.29
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    It $4.29 in Falls Church VA (DC suburb). But we have a grocery store loyalty card that pays off in gas discount. I just got $1.00 off.

when I was a kid in the '60's I remember gas was almost always 31 to 33 cents a gallon, didn't vary much. Right after I got my drivers license a place called USA opened up on State Street in Murray by someone pretty smart; the place was huge for the day, lots of pumps, regular was 25.9c, they had Coke/Pepsi machines and 35c a pack cigarette vending machines. Gas, soft drinks and cigarettes were all they sold, and they were the cheapest place to buy them. Open 24 hours and always busy...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev, I remember 25 cent gas from the same time period which was prior to when I started driving. When I got my first vehicle as a 21st birthday present (a used 1969 Dodge Dart with a straight 6), the price was in the 45-50 cent range when I was driving back and forth to Penn State's campus in the middle of the state on some weekends.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Kev, I remember 25 cent gas from the same time period which was prior to when I started driving. When I got my first vehicle as a 21st birthday present (a used 1969 Dodge Dart with a straight 6), the price was in the 45-50 cent range when I was driving back and forth to Penn State's campus in the middle of the state on some weekends.
    Memories, I remember gas at 45 cents an Imperial gallon…..Not like that now…….Rod.

I drove 240 miles today and put $40 in the tank at $4.17 at a non-name brand gas station in Carthage NY. That was the cheapest I saw on the trip by more than a dime.

The lowest I saw during the gas wars was .17 but most stations were 18-19. A buddy had a Covair and for a quarter's worth of gas we were good for cruising around town that night.

Wish I could remember what a 6-pack went for. A couple bucks back then could entertain 3 guys on a Friday night. Saturday night (date night) was a different story.

Yea, those "back in the day" prices are fun to think about...until you convert them to "present value". Sometimes that can be eye opening!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, those "back in the day" prices are fun to think about...until you convert them to "present value". Sometimes that can be eye opening!

So true. But sometimes we would find the evening's gas quarter on the floor of the Covair. Not as likely today!

One thing that is true tho- life was much simpler then.

Just after everything hit the fan two weeks ago I filled up as usual at Costco. The lines were six or seven deep with the full size trucks and SUVs so common in central Texas. The weather was great, my windows were down, and I noticed just about everyone was else sitting there with their cars idling.

Years ago couple of guys were selling tablets that when dissolved in water worked like gasoline ! People didn’t believe it was possible,
    until they saw it work ! Sadly the guys who formulated it ….did it by demonstrating the car was out of gas…but the car had a little gas…..
    they put a big rubber bladder in the tank ,so when they added the water …and the pills (I almost forgot the pills!) it brought the gas up to
    where it could be slurped up by the thirsty engine !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    So true. But sometimes we would find the evening's gas quarter on the floor of the Covair. Not as likely today!

One thing that is true tho- life was much simpler then.
    Yes, it is really hard to find a Corvair these days.....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute