Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Gassed up today

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I think it is interesting to see that premium is still exactly 20 cents a gallon more then regular. With gas double or triple in in price you would think the differential would change at least one percent.
    Bill D
    I just got back from a quick trip to Santa Barbara, and noted much the same thing. Relative to regular grades, premium looks like quite the bargain in CA!

I spend a bit of time on the road between Carlsbad NM and N.TX (I-20). This is certainly not a statistically accurate survey, but regular<>premium differential seems to run in the $0.80 to $1.00/gal range. Last tank of premium I bought was $5.79/gal in Sweetwater TX - - and I noted this was about $1.10/gal less than regular in Santa Barbara (2-days apart).

Not to be repetitious, but again, prices are set by the retail station owners, not the O&G companies - - and highly dependent on local competition and taxing authority.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-02-2022 at 11:02 AM. Reason: removed political content

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I spend a bit of time on the road between Carlsbad NM and N.TX (I-20). This is certainly not a statistically accurate survey, but regular<>premium differential seems to run in the $0.80 to $1.00/gal range. Last tank of premium I bought was $5.79/gal in Sweetwater TX - - and I noted this was about $1.10/gal less than regular in Santa Barbara (2-days apart).
    So, $6.89 in SB? Ouch. You should have stopped sooner: we're only about $6.10 or so 150mi south...I suspect Ventura would have been about the same.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    So, $6.89 in SB? Ouch. You should have stopped sooner: we're only about $6.10 or so 150mi south...I suspect Ventura would have been about the same.
    Didn't have to purchase - riding in Uber - so I could just gasp and point.

How many have had the pump shut off automatically at $100

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    How many have had the pump shut off automatically at $100
    I believe that is a credit card 'thing' - limits CC company's liability, since fuel charge gets 'pre-authorized'. Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I think it is interesting to see that premium is still exactly 20 cents a gallon more then regular. With gas double or triple in in price you would think the differential would change at least one percent.
    Bill D
    That's not the case at the Costco I buy from. When I filled up on Tuesday Reg was $4.29 and Premium was 70 cents higher at $4.99. I don't remember ever seeing a spread that wide before.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

In case anyone likes anecdotes, here's a fresh one...

Just got off a production planning call and we're trying to bring 3 new oil wells into production, with flow to an existing tank battery (where oil/gas/water separation is handled). They are drilled and frac'd - - ready to open the valves. Reservoir folks expect 2-3 days to recycle the frac water as it is returned to the surface, then figure 7.5-10k barrels of crude per day from each well for the first 2-2.5 months. They are all on BLM land.

We cannot flare the additional gas, so the site needs a larger compressor to handle the larger gas volumes - - and get the gas into the existing sales pipeline. Already a compressor there - running. Larger compressor is sitting in our equipment yard. EPA says 'no new compressor.' No explanation.

So the wells sit. And this is becoming routine.

I'm guessing the US pump price of gas won't go down anytime soon. I'll let you speculate on why.
    "no new compressor.' No explanation."

-- the EPA just got their wings clipped, could that be part of it?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I believe that is a credit card 'thing' - limits CC company's liability, since fuel charge gets 'pre-authorized'. Or something like that.
    My point isn't what causes it but that it's $100 for (less than) a fill up

I have just read that some are starting to raise the cut off limit they have, gee thanks

--same thing happened when gas prices went thru the roof in '08, pumps shut off at $100, some at $75 and $50- and yes it's a credit card thing, in case you go over your credit limit, each card swipe verifies your limit. It's a pain but if you need more gas, run your card again- at least that's how worked back then.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

be thankful you dont have 50 Ferraris to fill like those saudi oil guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Three words: Jay. Leno's. Garage.
    Taking that collection out for "exercise" and refills would be a pretty sweet retirement gig.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    I'm guessing that someone fills them for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    --same thing happened when gas prices went thru the roof in '08, pumps shut off at $100, some at $75 and $50- and yes it's a credit card thing, in case you go over your credit limit, each card swipe verifies your limit. It's a pain but if you need more gas, run your card again- at least that's how worked back then.
    When I was still working from time to time I would encounter a place that shut the diesel pump off at 50 gallons. That was frustrating because then I had to enter the mileage and pin number again and do the process over. Learned which places to avoid after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    "no new compressor.' No explanation."

-- the EPA just got their wings clipped, could that be part of it?
    Permitting is not my responsibility, so can’t recall specifics, but I think this is 3rd time for denial in last ~2 months? This out of maybe 10-12 requests (60-70% approved?), this latest just struck me as fitting the narrative here.

This type permit application should lead the start of flow back by ~1mo, so this submittal predates ‘clipping’ by some weeks. I could wildly speculate about any connections, but I’m sure readers can be equally as wild, or mild, as they see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    My point isn't what causes it but that it's $100 for (less than) a fill up

I have just read that some are starting to raise the cut off limit they have, gee thanks
    My mother never uttered 10 curse words in her life, so I still remember her reaction when she pulled up to a gas pump charging $0.50/gal. She used almost her lifetime quota in 1 sentence.