Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Gassed up today

yeah, one of the body guards. Life is different at those levels.

Jays a real car guy, off the map really. Plus he has done tons of wrenching in his life. Learned lots from him, history on many rare and interesting cars. Two friends got to met him and he spent good time with them and he sounds like a joy.

Diesel pumps at truck stops in 2008 could often only go up to $999.99. Truck stops were rushing to get their pumps reprogrammed to handle a higher amount.

It's about $6.99 a gallon in my local station not sure what it is at the truck stops.

Ours went down to 4.59. Switzerland is almost 9. Crazy world right now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Three words: Jay. Leno's. Garage.
    Taking that collection out for "exercise" and refills would be a pretty sweet retirement gig.
    I just found the Briggs and Stratton Hybrid car episode.

Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Ours went down to 4.59. Switzerland is almost 9. Crazy world right now.
    Europe's Petrol prices have always been way higher than the U.S. Mostly because of one tax or another. We're about $4.89, in part because Pennsylvania's gas tax is one of the highest (top 3?) in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    be thankful you dont have 50 Ferraris to fill like those saudi oil guys.
    I drove a Lamborghini once, and you could literally see the gas gauge going down as you drove.

I'm trying to remember the car (maybe a Bugatti) that at top speed the gas tank is empty in 11 minutes. Of course at greater than 250mph, you've gone a significant distance in 11 minutes, but still...

I have a friend who just told me about the $800 fill-up of his RV. OMG!!!

Which country has the highest prices in the world?
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 07-04-2022 at 8:22 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    I used to ride around with local buddys, they had a driving game that started at the Snoddy's store gas pump where every one filled up, followed by a 60 mile loop through 3 small towns, then back to the pump and another fill up. He who burned the most gas won. The looser picked up the tab for "refreshments" Our kids were not enamored with cars, I am glad.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Gas at marinas is always significantly higher than at gas stations. Marine gas is different from highway gas. It is typically 91 octane with no ethanol. The locations are hard to get a tanker truck into. The result this year is that we are paying $7.25/gal versus $5.29/gal locally for premium at the gas station. Not unreasonable when you think about it. My usage is around 6 gal/hr. We have cut the hours back a good bit. I suppose that is the idea.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 07-05-2022 at 9:50 AM.

It's fine talking about it, but it's hurting a lot of people.

If electric is what the future holds, this is not the way to get there!

Blog Entries
    $121.00 to fill my Honda the other day

$4.75 at Costco on Sunday...down about a quarter since last visit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    "no new compressor.' ... could that be part of it?
    Just passed the Facilities Engineer in the hall - - they wanted to pull the existing 20hp compressor and drop in a 60hp. All electric. Still, "No".

This keeps 475,000 gallons of gasoline per day (~refined / not counting additional diesel/Jet-A) in the ground; waiting for other wells at this site to tail off. ...Guessing retail prices are not coming down soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I drove a Lamborghini once, and you could literally see the gas gauge going down as you drove.

I'm trying to remember the car (maybe a Bugatti) that at top speed the gas tank is empty in 11 minutes. Of course at greater than 250mph, you've gone a significant distance in 11 minutes, but still...

I have a friend who just told me about the $800 fill-up of his RV. OMG!!!

Which country has the highest prices in the world?
    If I had to fill our houseboat today at the $5.29 price I see, with all tanks empty (and essentially they are), it would run me $1455...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

This is my understanding of the situation. I just looked it up, and in Feb 2022, 61% of the price of a gallon of gas in the US was the cost of crude oil which is based on world prices. World prices for crude oil are based on worldwide supply vs demand. The oil companies cost to get that barrel of oil out of the ground doesn't matter, their cost could go down and they would still get a price increase because they charge world pricing. The local supply vs demand doesn't matter, world price sets the price of that barrel of crude oil. Unless the US could flood the world market with crude oil, or convince OPEC to increase supply which they probably can but don't because the higher prices benefit them, it can't impact the world price of crude oil. Seems to me getting off oil is the answer. There is no world price for electricity generated by renewables, it is set by your local utility and local taxes. Your local utility producing electricity from non fossil fuels isn't impacted by anything beyond your local or perhaps national forces. Obviously we can't just wake up tomorrow and eliminate this situation but the direction we need to go is obvious. The only other way I can see is to nationalize the oil and gas companies so they aren't tied to world prices.
    I'm by no means an expert so I don't know how this could be accomplished but it seems to me the way to go. Just imagine if tomorrow there was a catastrophic event in Saudi Arabia that wiped out their oil production (around 13% of world production), your cost at the pumps would go up again even if the US was self sufficient and didn't have to import one barrel of oil because the oil companies would charge world prices.