Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gassed up today

Gassed up today

While we were on a trip last week a war started and gas prices went crazy everywhere. Got back Monday night. Today, Friday, we decided to gas up two cars. The cheapest gas we saw while driving around was $5.47 for reg unleaded at an Arco station. That was cash, credit was $5.67. We pulled into Costco where we usually get it, and got in line not knowing what the price would be.

We guessed that it would be $5.25 or so, but when we got to the pump 24 minutes later (yup...long line) we found it was $5.05. Went home, had dinner and took another car back and filled it up.

We saved over $6 on each car fill up by going there, compared to the lowest price anywhere else.

This is California. How about your area?

Pleeze..no politics.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Our gas is around $3.79. Missouri has the lowest state gas tax and people are astounded that the roads and bridges are so bad. I am surprised CA has different prices cash v credit.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Our gas is around $3.79. Missouri has the lowest state gas tax and people are astounded that the roads and bridges are so bad. I am surprised CA has different prices cash v credit.
    New Jersey has cash/credit pricing. It's usually 6 to 10 cents per gallon. Convenience store/gas stations don't usually have the split, it seems many gas station only places do. Pennsylvania and Delaware don't usually do the dual pricing.

Blog Entries
    Gas in NW Pennsylvania is about $4.39, some places give a discount with direct pay cards, loyalty cards or cash from 5 to 20 cents per gallon. NE Ohio is about 1 cent per gallon cheaper than PA.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It’s around $4.5-5/gallon here in Indiana. So a fill up is about $15 more than it was a couple weeks ago. I feel lucky that we aren’t hurt for money and $15 is no big deal.

Merchant credit card fees are typically 1 1/2% for most cards and up to 3% or so for AMEX. While not a huge deal, 20 cents a gallon for using a credit card (which is what it is around me in Michigan) is twice what it takes to cover a cc fee. Seems fees have become another profit center (albeit, small). The cost of connivence, I guess.

$1.80 per litre here Rick, gasoline is cheap where you are…….Regards, Rod

Stations around me in Akron/Cleveland Ohio area are at $4.09 today according to gas buddy, which is actually a dime or so less than when I filled up a few days ago.

Have any of you signed up for any station's direct pay program? I haven't because I assumed to avoid CC fee they must directly debit your bank account and I don't particularly want my account info anywhere else....But I don't really know if that's how they work.... Some stations offer significant savings for using those programs...way more than the CC fees would be. My cynical side says once enough folks are doing it, the price advantage will slowly go away??
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Not trying to pick a fight here but I am amazed at the amount of people that drive (?) miles and sit in line for twenty minutes to save $6 on a tank full. Between driving several miles and idling for a half hour the savings are probably closer to $3. I do try to avoid any locations that are near interstates or airports that are always high priced but but pretty much just go to the local pups that are on my route and close my eyes. On that same note I also have started filling up at the half tank level. I am not sure when or if the supply will get limited.

Have any of you signed up for any station's direct pay program? I haven't because I assumed to avoid CC fee they must directly debit your bank account and I don't particularly want my account info anywhere else....But I don't really know if that's how they work.... Some stations offer significant savings for using those programs...way more than the CC fees would be
    Yes - that's exactly how those direct pay cards work. You link the card to your bank account and they take the money directly out.
    We have them linked to one of our lesser accounts so if it gets hacked and/or broken into, there's only a few hundred dollars.
    We have one for Get-Go (Giant Eagle) and one for Circle K.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Here in the wilderness and jungles of western Arkansas it’s around $3.60 plus or minus. We live in town, drive little and have a 12 year old hybrid and 20 year old Tacoma so I’m fortunate in that respect.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

That 20 cents extra for credit is a new thing. It was 10 cents for several years at some stations, and doubled when we got back.

Scott, both cars are plug in hybrids, no gas was used in our outing. We almost always get it at the Costco which is about 5 miles from home. We did it, because gas is going up at least a dime a day for the last 10 days, some days double that.

We normally gas up every 3 to 4 months.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    $1.80 per litre here Rick, gasoline is cheap where you are…….Regards, Rod
    That works out to $5.35 US per gallon, no I didn't do the math myself, I literally googled "convert $1.80 Canadian per litre to US $ per gallon". In the Vancouver area, Gas Buddy reports a range of $2.179 to $2.509 CND per litre, ouch that's $6.47 to $7.46 US per gallon.

$5.31 the other day here. The interesting thing to me is the cost of premium gas. Regardless of the cost of regular it is +ten cents for mid grade and +20 cents for premium. You would think when gas doubles in price the premium differential would change. Everything else has gone up in price why not that extra bit?
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-12-2022 at 7:54 PM.

I noticed one station was at $4.05 here yesterday.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....