Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Related to SawStop

Blog Entries

Related to SawStop

There has been a bit of commotion on another SawStop thread that has since been deleted. I saw this today and it's related. I don't want to mess up the thread that's going now, so here it is.

The same who don't know the difference between then and than. 😋

Related to the other thread, has Stumpy Nubs come out with a video defending saw stop yet? Similar to the Harvey miter gauge video?

Study up on Physics/Inertia concepts & then ask yourself how your finger would look with very high RPM's of a table saw, even with super fast shutdown. So it did not get completely cut off, it just got torn up & will require surgery and will never be the same. All around us, marketing sales are pounded towards us, using the State of Fear. Watch these television ads for "safety" products. If you are unable to focus on a particular day, wait to use power tools until you are able to focus. Do not let fear control your life good people of SMC.

I've known too many people missing parts of digits, mostly in the trades. But hey, being afraid of fear seems to be a thing the days.

I also know a couple people who have used their sawstop.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Sawstops are silly. As long as you always pay attention you have nothing to fear. Same reason I never wear my seatbelt, it's just fearmongering. As long as I'm a safe driver I'm totally fine. Same with shoes- don't want to hurt your feet? Try not stepping on sharp things! Bike helmets? Easy, just don't fall off your bike.

Sawstops absolutely don't leave your finger mangled and needing surgery. They save fingers, pure and simple. They stop crazy fast. "Look up inertia" doesn't begin to describe what's going on. It's a tool to prevent accidents, just like a push stick, safety glasses, GFCI outlets, crumple zones in cars, etc. Your assertion that they aren't very helpful in saving a finger is extremely ignorant of how the Sawstop works. Nobody is forcing you to get a Sawstop or even trying to convince you to buy one. You don't have to try to slam people on the internet that want to be extra safe. Let people buy what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I've known too many people missing parts of digits, mostly in the trades. But hey, being afraid of fear seems to be a thing the days.

I also know a couple people who have used their sawstop.
    Most power tools can cause damage if someone is not careful. Saw a guy cut his top part of finger off on a bandsaw in high school woodshop, pick it up & laugh. He got it re-attached. Moral of story ? Do not use LSD while using the band saw lol or any other power tool. With the blade guards,etc on most modern power saws, someone would really have to be creative to cut their finger off. Push blocks/sticks, use safety = no problem. Wish everyone safety, be responsible.

I have been considering buying a new table saw this spring and never really considered the Sawstop because of the price jump from other comparable saws. I have always been careful with all my saws and after 30 years of using them didn't see the need for the brake tech. Recently I was cutting a return for small panel molding on my chop saw and after the cut reached over to grab the piece. Then I saw drops of blood on the saw and realized my left index finger had just skimmed the blade as I was raising it up. I never even felt it. It just needed a band-aid but that made me rethink how easily something can go wrong. I don't think I was tired or distracted, I just reached for the piece a quarter second sooner than I normally did. So, while it still burns my backside to have to pay double the price from a Harvey Alpha to get a PCS with the brake tech I probably will.

It’s a awful lot of money for tablesaw that only spins a 10 inch blade. How much are they now 4 or 5 thousand dollars
    Aj

I can see a reasonable argument either way. I will never buy a SawStop myself, but I can see that there are situations in which they are better. I don't use a table saw all the time, so chances are if I get injured it will be by another tool. If I could pay double and protect myself from all risk of serious injury in the shop it would be worth it, but I don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Jarchow View Post
    I have been considering buying a new table saw this spring and never really considered the Sawstop because of the price jump from other comparable saws. I have always been careful with all my saws and after 30 years of using them didn't see the need for the brake tech. Recently I was cutting a return for small panel molding on my chop saw and after the cut reached over to grab the piece. Then I saw drops of blood on the saw and realized my left index finger had just skimmed the blade as I was raising it up. I never even felt it. It just needed a band-aid but that made me rethink how easily something can go wrong. I don't think I was tired or distracted, I just reached for the piece a quarter second sooner than I normally did. So, while it still burns my backside to have to pay double the price from a Harvey Alpha to get a PCS with the brake tech I probably will.

Hello Dennis, A Saw Stop saw would have not prevented what happened to you - you would have been out the cost of your blade & $90 brake, plus time & labor re-installing both. For marginally a little more $, you can buy a real saw, not made in China, a Hammer K3 Winner. Look into that, I believe you will be very satisfied with your decision if you go with a Hammer K3.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    Sawstops are silly. As long as you always pay attention you have nothing to fear. Same reason I never wear my seatbelt, it's just fearmongering. As long as I'm a safe driver I'm totally fine. Same with shoes- don't want to hurt your feet? Try not stepping on sharp things! Bike helmets? Easy, just don't fall off your bike.

Sawstops absolutely don't leave your finger mangled and needing surgery. They save fingers, pure and simple. They stop crazy fast. "Look up inertia" doesn't begin to describe what's going on. It's a tool to prevent accidents, just like a push stick, safety glasses, GFCI outlets, crumple zones in cars, etc. Your assertion that they aren't very helpful in saving a finger is extremely ignorant of how the Sawstop works. Nobody is forcing you to get a Sawstop or even trying to convince you to buy one. You don't have to try to slam people on the internet that want to be extra safe. Let people buy what they want.

Hello Bert, You are simply incorrect - I slammed nobody - if you or others chose to buy one, no problem - it is your $. But I have read peoples comments who have got their finger in there = it does not "prevent" any accident, it limits damage somewhat. A table saw blade is typically very sharp & at that RPM, damage will occur, even with so-called "instant stop". I personally do not see the value there at all on price of Saw Stop, a much superior Hammer K3 winner sliding saw could be had for not much more. Even with a Saw Stop, recommending absolute complete focus & care at all times when saw is on, is not "slamming".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roock View Post
    Hello Dennis, A Saw Stop saw would have not prevented what happened to you - you would have been out the cost of your blade & $90 brake, plus time & labor re-installing both. For marginally a little more $, you can buy a real saw, not made in China, a Hammer K3 Winner. Look into that, I believe you will be very satisfied with your decision if you go with a Hammer K3.
    Given the same situation when using the TS, the Sawstop would most certainly have come into play. My Sawstop was made in Taiwan, not China, so significant difference there. Since TTS Holdings of Germany bought it out in 2017, I don't know where they are currently manufactured. I have no regrets about my SS purchase. I triggered the cartridge once when the blade contacted the miter gauge fence: I had to spend a lot of time and use a magnifying glass to see where the contact occurred. It is an amazing piece of technology and in my opinion is well worth the investment. It is an excellent saw and is every bit as good as some Minimax equipment in my shop. Not sure why a number of folks are "anti-sawstop"?
    Last edited by Phil Gaudio; 03-11-2022 at 5:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    It’s a awful lot of money for tablesaw that only spins a 10 inch blade. How much are they now 4 or 5 thousand dollars
    The PCS with 3HP motor and 52" fence is $3500. With shorter fence and smaller motor (but still a proper cabinet saw) it can be had for $2700.

Considering that a new Unisaw is $4300, or a new Powermatic is $4900, or even a Grizzly is $3k, the SS seems like quite the value. (*comparing 3HP, 52" models)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roock View Post
    Study up on Physics/Inertia concepts & then ask yourself how your finger would look with very high RPM's of a table saw, even with super fast shutdown. So it did not get completely cut off, it just got torn up & will require surgery and will never be the same. All around us, marketing sales are pounded towards us, using the State of Fear. Watch these television ads for "safety" products. If you are unable to focus on a particular day, wait to use power tools until you are able to focus. Do not let fear control your life good people of SMC.
    Not in my case. Didn't even draw blood. Doing this stuff for a living, I don't have the luxury of waiting...
    JR