Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Related to SawStop

Blog Entries
    This was not intended as a thread to bring out the flat earther. It was for a laugh about a common spelling mistake. We all make spelling mistakes so let's have some fun with it. Mods, how about we just close this one down.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-12-2022 at 4:08 PM.

I’ve noticed a few different topics that are impossible. Chisels sharpening , tablesaws and even table saw blades.
    Let the record show Frank inadvertently stirred the pot. I don’t mind a spritted discussion on all subjects woodworking.
    I bet this kind of back and forth has been going on since the beginning of time.
    Here is some good humor. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5adk_8...ist=WL&index=2
    Good Luck everyone
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 03-12-2022 at 1:31 PM.
    Aj

Buy a Sawstop or don't. I am sure over 99% of the people will never have an accident and those who did not get one will wish they have and those who did are thankful they did buy one when the figure touches the blade. I have a buddy who runs a cabinet shop who has a couple Sawstops for 5 or 6 years. He said his employees have set it them off 4 times and he, his employees and his insurance are thankful they had them in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    This was not intended as a thread to bring out the flat earther. It was for a laugh about a common spelling mistake. We all make spelling mistakes so let's have some fun with it. Mods, how about we just close this one down.
    I think this is what you had in mind Frank. Italics added in case someone thinks this is continuation of the actual arguments in the post and not me having fun and taking excessive liberties with diction

Yes, this topic certainly effects quite the affect on people. You need to lay down rules on the topic, as this is something where people's passion lie, even as it's a debate with its own merits. Then you can keep the discussion from becoming one of those "My view is better than your view", as it is an illusion that people will look past the allusion of their personal values being reflected in their choice of saw. People tend to lose their emotions when a flurry of posts are let loose challenging their tools. Anyway, any way we can keep the discussion civil is to all our betterment. Posts that just show the honest advantages and disadvantages of a tool are those which help the user community. There are many different approaches to doing things, for what works for one person in their shop; they're going to be the best judge. Too many times we forget to take into account someones specific situation, remember no two people and environments are the same.

OK. I think I have elicited enough illicit wordplay

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cothern View Post
    Buy a Sawstop or don't. I am sure over 99% of the people will never have an accident and those who did not get one will wish they have and those who did are thankful they did buy one when the figure touches the blade. I have a buddy who runs a cabinet shop who has a couple Sawstops for 5 or 6 years. He said his employees have set it them off 4 times and he, his employees and his insurance are thankful they had them in the shop.
    So going against my better judgement here I have decided to post. Before I say anything else I do not care what saw people use, there are good reasons either way. My question is ,I just have to wonder how many TS "accidents" happened in this comercial shop in the 5-6 period before this buddy of yours purchased Sawstop machines ? I have my own business and have experienced one employee in particular who came through a school shop system with a Sawstop. He was very careless and not at all cognizant of where his hands were around a TS. Now this was a sample size of one young man. I get schools endorsing and using them because of liability issues. But I have to wonder if basic human nature means as soon as one has protection that safe practices become more of a mute point. I have also looked at kickbacks having the potential to be far more life threatening than cutting a finger. (Not saying I want to cut a finger.) Anyhow could we please find other topics to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    So going against my better judgement here I have decided to post. Before I say anything else I do not care what saw people use, there are good reasons either way. My question is ,I just have to wonder how many TS "accidents" happened in this comercial shop in the 5-6 period before this buddy of yours purchased Sawstop machines ? I have my own business and have experienced one employee in particular who came through a school shop system with a Sawstop. He was very careless and not at all cognizant of where his hands were around a TS. Now this was a sample size of one young man. I get schools endorsing and using them because of liability issues. But I have to wonder if basic human nature means as soon as one has protection that safe practices become more of a mute point. I have also looked at kickbacks having the potential to be far more life threatening than cutting a finger. (Not saying I want to cut a finger.) Anyhow could we please find other topics to discuss.
    I agree with you the only accident that I needed stiches for was a kick back that hit my palm and I needed 9 stiches. I have been using table saws for 60 years I just always think bout getting hurt.

Just thought I'd do this here. https://youtu.be/SYLAi4jwXcs

That is a very good video showing high speed brake activation. It is amazing that the Sawstop is rigged and well built to withstand the brake firing with a dado blade. It was interesting seeing him run the hot dog into the blade as fast as he could.

I have never considered being less safe because I have a Sawstop. That 10" blade running is a bit scary.

I had used a table saw for about 50 years with no injuries but then I got stupid one day and held a piece of 2x3 over a new throat plate as I raised a 3/4 dado through it. I raised the 2x3 piece, a little one, to check on progress. It caught and the third finger on my left hand hit the blade. I got a broken bone and 6 stitches but I still have the finger and only have a little nerve damage and missing tissue. I am pretty sure I'd be missing at least the end of that finger if I had not been using a PCS. I bought it a couple years before the incident. I thought I was pretty careful and had a pretty long track record to support that but it only takes one stupid decision...

I do not like how SawStop technology was marketed at first but I do like my hands. It is absolutely correct to say if you are careful and don't make any bad decisions you don't need one. But it only takes one mistake to wish you had one. I also do not like SawStop saying they prevent serious injury. I think broken bones and stitches are pretty significant. But it was a lot less than it would have been if the blade had not stopped quickly and dropped. Absent something like kickback, I think you are likely to avoid stitches but I do not plan on finding out.

It also is a nice saw. The technology is a bit of a pain the the backside requiring a cartridge change to put in a dado stack and pretty much preventing you from using sharpened blades but it's still worth it in my opinion. So far, we all still get to have our own opinions, at least on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    ….It also is a nice saw. The technology is a bit of a pain the the backside requiring a cartridge change to put in a dado stack and pretty much preventing you from using sharpened blades but it's still worth it in my opinion. So far, we all still get to have our own opinions, at least on this.
    I hadn’t heard about this and was wondering if you might elaborate. Are we to avoid blades that have been resharpened?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mich View Post
    I hadn’t heard about this and was wondering if you might elaborate. Are we to avoid blades that have been resharpened?
    Not true. You can use sharpened blade. If needed you can adjust the brake distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roock View Post
    ……….. I will not ever need one anytime soon.
    Hopefully not, I never needed one until after 45 years of woodworking I cut off the ends of two fingers saving my daughter’s cat from the tablesaw.

Active safety systems are no substitute for training and safe work practices including using appropriate passive safety devices.

Passive safety systems haven’t changed since 1904 when Altendorf introduced the riving knife, a testament to their effectiveness, however active safety systems are the new additional layer that increases operator safety.

Regards, Rod