Thread: SawStop (Break) Failure $$$ pt. 4

SawStop (Break) Failure $$$ pt. 4

I agree with this assessment of the original post. I was/am definitely frustrated and combative. I'll wait until the dust clears to share if that is the way and share I will. Regardless, I know my experience, and my confidence in my own knowledge of exactly what happened has led me to feel like I've made a horrible investment in my saw and I'm $600 lighter because of it with no recourse in sight. Thank you for your honest response, Fredrick

Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#333333
    I like to hear peoples' experiences and usually appreciate them taking the time to inform us all. In this case, I feel you jumped the gun - you havent finished working the problem with them. Give them a chance to work the problem to completion Sir. [/COLOR]Then tell us how it went.

You said you're posting about your "customer service experience". I'm sorry to be blunt, but I interpreted that as just "spin". I've read your original post twice. It strikes me as a not-too-veiled attack on Sawstop, using the internet as your weapon of choice. I disagree with that behavior because your reaction may be premature and unjustly cause them unwarranted harm.

I hope they figure it out and take good care of you
    -Fredrick Skelly

I tripped a few brakes in short order. It can be maddening. In the end, i found there were reasonable explanations related to my setup and not a SawStop problem per say. If I was loosing production time i would ship that brake to SS as fast as possible to try and find a resolution.

it is interesting that the same wood tripped both times. Perhaps sit that aside until you get an answer.
    Last edited by derek labian; 03-11-2022 at 8:56 AM. Reason: Fixed iphone typos

This is what I missed:

"The original issue isn't about who is to blame, it's about documenting my customer service experience, which I will continue to do as it develops. I was concerned by my experience with sawstop Tech support, not with who's fault it was."

I mistakenly took the approach of trying to help trouble shoot and solve the problem. That was not the OP intent. The intent of the OP was to share his experience to date with SS customer service, and set up a thread to continue sharing what he believes is going to be a negative overall outcome/experience with SS.

Those of us trying to understand failure mode and trying to help solve the actual problem no doubt are off the mark and the OP is not feeling listened to or heard.

Best I can understand. So it does turn into invalidation and a sense of combative dialog if the OP original intent is not addressed.

I hope you get it sorted out. I still would be interested in the SawStop technical mechanism physics, and how to trouble shoot.

Leaving this open for now

Let's keep this thread specifically to reporting the Customer Service response to the OP's brake firing issue.

There is enough speculation of the cause (and criticisms of each other) on the previous, closed thread.

Let's not repeat that moot discussion here.

My 2 Cents on SS CS in general: There isn't anything SS customer service can do other than answer the phone, be polite and request the brake to do an analysis, which is what it sounds like they did. The OP is just understandably frustrated because no matter what the answer is, he's out ~$560; I was too when I tripped three brakes in short order. I'm confident that SS gets calls from many customers who are upset about tripped brakes and ruined blades. I wonder how many are the fault of SS? Hard to imagine many after ~20 years of the tech being in production it's a high percentage (Occam's razor); the point is: the reality of the causation (of brake trips in general) is going to shape how their CS reacts/responds to individual incidents.

IMHO, If a company answers the phone and you can speak to a somewhat knowledgable human quickly, thats pretty good customer service in this day and age.
    Last edited by derek labian; 03-11-2022 at 9:15 AM. Reason: clarification

Back so soon? LOL Poor Prashun.

I'm surprised that SS doesn't ask for the piece of wood (or what ever) that was being cut when the brake fired. Most people wouldn't have the equipment to test a piece of wood to see if it has similar properties that the controller will pick up and think is skin. I think SS system could evolve (maybe it has) to identify problematic wood. Since the system is monitoring an electrical signal SS must have set a limits on how low the signal drops for a specified amount of time. With a sample of the wood it would be much easier to see if there was a problem with the saw (maybe the settings in the customers saw are off causing it to trip) or if it was a problem with the wood. Even if SS couldn't find a way to upgrade their system maybe they could find a way to identify when the system should be disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I'm surprised that SS doesn't ask for the piece of wood (or what ever) that was being cut when the brake fired. Most people wouldn't have the equipment to test a piece of wood to see if it has similar properties that the controller will pick up and think is skin. I think SS system could evolve (maybe it has) to identify problematic wood. Since the system is monitoring an electrical signal SS must have set a limits on how low the signal drops for a specified amount of time. With a sample of the wood it would be much easier to see if there was a problem with the saw (maybe the settings in the customers saw are off causing it to trip) or if it was a problem with the wood. Even if SS couldn't find a way to upgrade their system maybe they could find a way to identify when the system should be disabled.
    I agree, if someone fires multiple cartridges I would if SS ask fore a sample of the cut edge of the wood. Something is going on and I will bet SS wants to get to the bottom of it. They will probably replace the cartridges too, we'll see.

The original thread is deleted, so I don't know what kind of wood the OP was using, but if it had any MDF or other fillers in it there could be some metal in there. See this earlier thread: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....artridge-Trips

(I believe this is appropriate for this thread as it may help the OP and the Sawstop tech, if not, please delete it.)

When.my Sawstop deployed a few cartridges in a row cutting MFD the tech had me put the saw in bypass mode and test the conductivity of the MDF. Every piece of scrap showed conductivity.