Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 phase? What is this symbol?

2 phase? What is this symbol?

Looking at a mid 2000s scmi saw and it says 2 under the ~ block on the name plate... is phase? And what does the 2 signify? Is this a 2 phase machine and if so what does that mean? I've seen this as a 3 on many machines too... not my area of expertise.... thanks
    Last edited by Kurt Wyberanec; 03-10-2022 at 10:40 PM.

You might post a picture of the plate to get a quick/accurate answer if you have it.

No motor is going to be labeled 2 phase. It is either 1 phase 120v, 1 phase 240v or 3 phase. So, no, definitely not.

Well....there was/is 2 phase power still in certain, shall we call them “historical” locations - Philadelphia, for example, if I’m not mistaken. From my limited reading on the subject it seems like a problem I would not want to wrestle with and I have many 3 phase machines.

I cannot, however, see any logic behind an SCMI machine having a factory stamped 2 phase motor, but maybe someone else out there has experience.

A few photos would help.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Wyberanec View Post
    Looking at a mid 2000s scmi saw and it says 2 under the ~ block on the name plate... is phase? And what does the 2 signify? Is this a 2 phase machine and if so what does that mean? I've seen this as a 3 on many machines too... not my area of expertise.... thanks
    No, it wouldn’t be 2 phase power, 2 phase is a three wire system with a 90 degree phase displacement.

I’ve only seen it in aviation applications…… Regards, Rod.

Are you sure it isnt a poorly/incomplete stamp of the number "3"? You can do some backwards engineering if you have the KW/HP rating, full load amps, and voltage of the motor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Well....there was/is 2 phase power still in certain, shall we call them “historical” locations - Philadelphia, for example, if I’m not mistaken. From my limited reading on the subject it seems like a problem I would not want to wrestle with and I have many 3 phase machines.

I cannot, however, see any logic behind an SCMI machine having a factory stamped 2 phase motor, but maybe someone else out there has experience.

A few photos would help.
    Philadelphia seems to be the most common place to find OWWM with 2 phase motors.

Some of the early Italian machines showed 2-phase on the motor plates. Every one of those I ever saw was a 1-phase machine.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    2 phase is something we learned about in electrician school, but it's little more than a curiosity and was never used in mainstream power distribution.

Some old school electricians and EEs referred to 240 volt as two phase. That is not the same as true two phase since it only requires two hot wires not three or four.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Some old school electricians and EEs referred to 240 volt as two phase. That is not the same as true two phase since it only requires two hot wires not three or four.
    Bill D
    I personally don't know any who do that, but if they did, they'd be dead wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I personally don't know any who do that, but if they did, they'd be dead wrong.
    Technically, in North America, a neutral and two hots is two phases 180 degrees apart. In some parts of the world they will supply a residence with 2 out of the three phases from a conventional 3-phase distribution system. In that case you have a neutral and two hots 120 degrees apart. Doesn't make much sense in the context of a motor though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    2 phase is something we learned about in electrician school, but it's little more than a curiosity and was never used in mainstream power distribution.
    In the early days of electricity, 2Ø was the original polyphase power, it's largely disappeared but there are a few hangers on still in existence in Philadelphia, PA, & Hartford, CT.

Photo I took of a CU300 Smart ID plate, circa 2006. Look closely at the motor phasing designation. This is a 1-phase/230V machine.

Erik

A1DF5DFB-38E3-4675-A640-E65E5A006556.jpg
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    I suspect regional terminology variations.