Thread: Wood Body / Krenov Planes, Build or Buy?

Wood Body / Krenov Planes, Build or Buy?

What are your thoughts on wood / Krenov planes? If you like them would you tend to make your own or would you consider purchasing one that is ready to use if the cost was reasonable? The reason for this question is I'm trying to gauge if their is a market for ready to use wood planes. I enjoy making and using them and I'm considering making some that would be available for sale in different sizes etc. Just not sure if there is a market for these since I know there are a number of makers out there already. I'm tempted to order a number of Hock blades and give this a go but looking for some honest feedback first.

Thanks!
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

Dale, the essence of Krenov-style planes is that they represent entry skills to plane-making, and handtoolers are encouraged to make their own. This would be the case if you went to the Krenov School.

There is a similarity with building benches, Moxon vises, etc. They are a Rite of Passage.

The only Krenov plane I have which I did not make is one that was made for me by Jim Krenov. I have made and sold a few of this style in the past, but that was for a specific cause only (raising funds for a club). No doubt there will be buyers if the planes are made well. However, I suspect that their presentation suggests they are cheaply made ... and therefore will not command the type of price reflected by their performance.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    What are your thoughts on wood / Krenov planes? If you like them would you tend to make your own or would you consider purchasing one that is ready to use if the cost was reasonable?
    My tendency would be to make my own. My purchase of wood bodied planes has been mostly molding planes. Usually those are purchased when it seems like they are at a relatively good price compared to the retail market. Consider me not a typical consumer in regard to useable tools.

You can likely answer your own question with the answer to these two questions, did all of your apron planes sell? Are there people on a waiting list if you make more?

There are some who will purchase a plane for its unique beauty. There are others who will want it for its utility. Then a few will insist on both.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My tendency would be to make my own. My purchase of wood bodied planes has been mostly molding planes. Usually those are purchased when it seems like they are at a relatively good price compared to the retail market. Consider me not a typical consumer in regard to useable tools.

You can likely answer your own question with the answer to these two questions, did all of your apron planes sell? Are there people on a waiting list if you make more?

There are some who will purchase a plane for its unique beauty. There are others who will want it for its utility. Then a few will insist on both.

jtk

The 4 that I'm finishing up this weekend are spoken for so I think I'll make more of those for sure. I'm just on the fence about if making larger, more expensive planes is worth while. Perhaps I will here and there but still keep my focus on furniture. These planes are enjoyable to make and use but most likely a very small market for them.
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

I think the markets probably slightly wider now with so many manufacturers out of stock. Not saying wide, just a bit more people looking. Make what you want and have fun doing. Scott Meeks seems to do ok with his $800 Krenov planes.

I would tend to make them, but I have bought and do occasionally buy wooden planes.

I'm curious if Krenov style planes might potentially be popular here in Japan. I myself have wanted to make one for a long time and just haven't gotten around to it. I have considered buying one at times.

I'm curious how your market research goes and how you advertise them or find potential buyers. I had similar thoughts as I was making my bow saws and bow saw blades: perhaps people would be interested in buying these? But I have no idea how to gauge that market or find potential buyers, or if they'd be willing to pay anywhere near what it costs in time and materials to make them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I think the markets probably slightly wider now with so many manufacturers out of stock. Not saying wide, just a bit more people looking. Make what you want and have fun doing. Scott Meeks seems to do ok with his $800 Krenov planes.
    The trouble is that Krenov planes are easy to make badly and more difficult to make well. Scott does a good job, from what I can gather. But I am not his target audience. His target audience is likely those who cannot make one, and may not be able to discern good from bad. His prices are more than double LN or Veritas, which tends to support this.

Regards from Perth

Derek

As my skills improve I would like to make a plane to test and improve my skill as a woodworker. Buying a new wood plane no so much, an older wooden plane maybe but ebay is too inflated now. If I spot one of those "old wooden planes that nobody wants" at an estate sale I will grab it.

Interesting. I went down this road 20 years ago (2001-2). At the time I thought there would be a burgeoning market for Krenov style wood-bodies hand planes. So researched, designed and made a few early ones and perfected my techniques to create them in small batches. This worked for a while, I had orders. Ordered many Hock irons, still have some left in packaging This was on the cusp on the hand tool revival so the market was small. I did this for the better part of 1.5 years and then dropped the project after fulfilling my last orders. Getting orders was not the issue, I simply became bored with making planes. That's just me. Moved on to fine furniture studies as I much preferred the variety in furniture making. I have kept a few of those original planes in attached image and use them very regularly. Have even thought of creating a few more for my workshop, but not for sale. Hats off to the hand plane makers out there.

WoodPlanes-1 (2).jpg

If needed Hock sells several plans for Krenov planes. Four bucks each.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    If needed Hock sells several plans for Krenov planes. Four bucks each.
    Nice, Thank you!