Thread: Cyclone Chip Bin

Cyclone Chip Bin

I have a hybrid Grizzly dust collector. Motor hooked directly on top of a Super Dust Deputy. Enlarged ducting to 6" and it works very well.
    I have a 20 gallon Eagle salvage drum as my chip bin and of course it fills up "very quickly" to say the least. I would like to get something larger but size restraints is a concern. Both ceiling height for the unit and height of the drum.
    A couple questions

Can I build a square box for the chip bin ? I assume it's Very important to get the lid to seal tight.

I see some using a Brute style plastic trash barrel but I don't know how they get the lid to seal tight.

After measuring I am limited to 28" height for my bin.

I would like to get a bigger bin but not sure if I need to stay with a round one or build a square box

Any Suggestions
    Thanks

link to my dc build
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ion&highlight=

You can use any kind of enclosure as long as it's airtight. You need to think about how you will empty it. I use a 22"d. x28"h. 30 gallon plastic barrel with 6 mil plastic liners. The top is sealed to the barrel with 1" thick closed cell foam without fasteners - held down by slightly over-length flex-hose connection to the cyclone cone and the system suction.

Blog Entries
    You could cut down a 55 gallon drum.
    Best Regards, Maurice

What Kevin said...the size and shape of the bin under a cyclone doesn't matter as long as there is an absolutely leak free seal between the bottom of the cone and the bin. Not even a whisker of leak or there can and will be blow-by due to the nature of cyclone separators.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you make a box with flat sides be sure they are strong enough to withstand the vacuum if the cyclone is strong. I've the sides of a metal 30gal can collapse under a 5hp ClearVue cyclone and a round shape can be stronger than a shape with flat sides. I fixed mine by using a can with a heavier gauge. Flat sides could easily be reinforced if needed. I'd probably weld up some angle iron but wood reinforcement should work.

I've heard the circulation in a non-round container might not be optimum but I have zero experience with this and it might not even be factual. I do know the rounded big distributes fines in a inverted conical pattern, higher at the sides than the middle. Perhaps a square bin would even have more room to spread out. Let us know how it works out.

As others mention, the seal must be perfect. If some deflection on a side or lid creates even a small leak it may cause a disaster, filling the filters with sawdust.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    I have a hybrid Grizzly dust collector. Motor hooked directly on top of a Super Dust Deputy. Enlarged ducting to 6" and it works very well.
    I have a 20 gallon Eagle salvage drum as my chip bin and of course it fills up "very quickly" to say the least. I would like to get something larger but size restraints is a concern. Both ceiling height for the unit and height of the drum.
    A couple questions

Can I build a square box for the chip bin ? I assume it's Very important to get the lid to seal tight.

I see some using a Brute style plastic trash barrel but I don't know how they get the lid to seal tight.

After measuring I am limited to 28" height for my bin.

I would like to get a bigger bin but not sure if I need to stay with a round one or build a square box

Any Suggestions
    Thanks

link to my dc build
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ion&highlight=

You could make a square plywood box and seal it well. An old refridegrator comes to mind. then have a simple open drum inside to catch the chips. Easy and light to move.

If it were me , I’d focus on making the bin you have easier to change. Maybe casters and a bag liner and anything to make the latch on the drum easy to snap on snap off.

Emptying a heavy bin once is imho more of a pain than a small, but easy bin twice…

I used one of those 90gal totes with the lid removed. Just cut a piece of ply to fit the top and used foam gasket material between it and the can. I also put a plexiglass window in the top so i could see how filled it is. Works great

30E10A07-B598-4C53-AE6B-20BB0DA7EE49.jpg

Eagle makes several size drums. I use their 20 gal. with my small DD on my Ridgid vac. I have a 30 gal. galv. trash can under my SDD cyclone and 2 hp DC. I almost bought a 30 gal. Eagle container for it because it was squatty and would have fit just fine under the SDD. I would check their measurements if you want the same type system.

https://eagle.justrite.com/salvage-p...ck-yellow-1602
    Last edited by Steve Eure; 03-09-2022 at 9:56 PM. Reason: update
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

You could use a 50 gallon drum and set a lightweight 20 gallon inside. Easy enough to lift it out and dump 20 gallons until you forget and overflow the 20. Then you get to fight the 50 gallon one to the outside world to dump it.
    Bill D

Make more room. Move it outdoors, or go up. Get a barrel on wheels.

I have one identical to the eagle in 40 gallon, they seal well. When full its light enough to lift. My clearvue is in the attic above and it piped down to the drum and flex 2' above. I wired up a DIY sensor for a full alarm but it only worked for a month or so, now I just use the clear flex to see if its full.

Thanks for the suggestions and insight. I have made a little room and have some flex hose between the barrel and SDD. I shortened the flange collars so it's pretty simple to unhook the flex hose and remove the barrel.
    I also ordered a Eagle 30 gallon salvage drum and will try that. I figure it's easier and probably cheaper to buy one instead of building a plywood one with the plywood cost and all the seals and latches. I think the Eagle salvage drums are excellent products, heavy duty and great ring latches on their lids.
    bin hookup.jpg

Thanks

Now what you need is a drum dolly (grainger has a bunch, too)

Matt

Consider also weight. 55 gallons of planer/jointer chips weighs much less than 55 gallons of dust off a flat bed sander. Gonna depend a little bit on what you do.