Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat tires on a re-saw band saw?

Flat tires on a re-saw band saw?

I bought an older 32" Centauro band saw that was run with flat tires.
    My smaller band saws both have crowned tires, so flat tires make me a little apprehensive.

I was quoted $915 to vulcanize, crown and balance both wheels

The rubber tire on the lower wheel is in very good condition, but I need a new tire on the upper wheel.
    I can replace the upper wheel tire myself if I use a flat tire, so that's a big saving.

I'm looking for confirmation that flat tires will work for tracking with blades of 3/4" and up in width.

The wheel rims are about 1 7/8" wide, in case that make a difference.

Any advice welcome. Thanks, Mark
    Last edited by Mark Gibney; 03-09-2022 at 12:08 AM.

My bandsaw has vulcanized flat tires. I’m thinking they are better then rubber tires I can properly track 1 inch blades and 1/4 inch blades. I have a Aggizani B 20/20.
    When I had a 14 inch powermatic bandsaw I replaced the tires several time with good results. I used to have a laguna 18 inch that need new tires. I failed miserably on the tires. I had them done at dailysaw in South Gate. Kairos tooling has taken over daily saw.
    I bet they do bandsaw tires in case you need help.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Flat tires are the norm on big Euro bandsaws. Yes they will track wide blades well, that is what they do best. I own a Centauro CO 600 made in 1980 that has flat tires and tracks like a dream. It lives with a 3/4'' blade on it full time.
    Last edited by Mike Kees; 03-09-2022 at 12:56 AM.

I thought all the Centauros had quick change tires of a rubbery concoction, and not real rubber (vulcanised)
    If so, then note that there is a possibly a very good chance of there being a track/groove in the centre on these wheels specifically
    for fast changing, see on youtube, the original Sam Blasco minimax mm16 video on youtube, where he mentions this.

Might be worth seeing if you can dress them, I'd guess this would be a common thing if there were lesser Centauro's about!

ps A 3/4" blade will track well with the teeth off the wheels.
    https://youtu.be/lGCnAQKWwAY

Tom

My mm16 has flat tires with 1” carbide blade- teeth just hang over the edge- only used for re-sawing. 14” delta has crowned tires - blade sits center on the crown
    Jerry

Flat tires will not only work for that bandsaw, but they're easy to replace. Holding the tire in your hand, heat it with a heat gun as you jump it along with your other hand. Go all the way around until it's almost too hot to hold, and it will go right on. There is a groove on the wheel that holds the little tongue on the tire in place. It will be obvious when you have it in your hand.

As has been noted, flat tires are quite normal for these large, heavy machines...even my 2004 MM16 has flat tires. Also note that you track them with the tips of the band just off the wheel so that the wheels don't compress the tooth set. This is a major reason why running a narrow blade on these machines is a bit difficult because you have to re-track them for center and subsequently a tensioned blade will lose set faster.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes flat tires work fine, that’s what is common on the Euro saws.

I buy the rubber a bit longer than required then cut and glue it on.

I use high strength contact cement, coat the wheel and strip except for the last few inches. Then with a helper to hold the strip I bond the rubber to the wheel with a rubber mallet. Once it’s all on except for the last few inches I cut the strip to make a butt joint, apply the contact cement and once dry, I bond that.

I use a piece of wax paper and a couple of popsicle sticks to keep the parts separated until the glue is dry…….Rod.

That's good news - that flat tires are the standard on these big band saws.

However the wheel rim is nearly 2" wide. If the blade is say 1" wide and the teeth are off the edge, that leaves over 1" of "unused" tire behind the blade. Is that normal in this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post

However the wheel rim is nearly 2" wide. If the blade is say 1" wide and the teeth are off the edge, that leaves over 1" of "unused" tire behind the blade. Is that normal in this situation?
    It begs the question...
    On my Italian machine the top wheel shaft is able to shift in/out of the carriage.
    Not heard of folks addressing the edges of the tires to account for wear, but for a machine with tires which have been very bad damaged,
    theoretically possible to match a new sharp edge with the other one.
    They would need to be very bad like mine to need go this far into the wheel, as you would be gaining width dressing the face of the tires
    tire dressing jig .jpg
    SAM_5086.jpgSAM_5095.jpg

I left the top wheel to experiment and try see how important a sharp edge is.
    Still mucking about making bearing spacers for the wheels, which are different than on the Centauro,
    so some interesting mucking about to do.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    I thought all the Centauros had quick change tires..
    Not the early ones. Only the contemporary "white" Centauros.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Eric ,where is a good source for new rubber tires for a Centauro ? Mine are like Rod Sheridan described, glued in place with a butt joint on an angle. At least 1/4'' thick maybe 10mm, I would have to measure to be sure. About a week ago ,I had just started my saw when my blade broke. A fairly large chunk was ripped out of my upper tire. The bottom one is still real good. Would it be a good idea to replace both tires at the same time or just the one that needs it ?
    Last edited by Mike Kees; 03-09-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post

Yes, actually.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have owned three Italian 24” saws and they all have flat tires. Like Mike K, I had an old tire fail (spectacularly) due, I think, to very old glue and a 1” blade tensioned to the limit.

I bought tires online (Carter maybe) and never had a problem since.

Greg

Last time I replaced one tire because the customer didn’t want to pay for two, I had to make a return visit a few weeks later to replace both…..Rod.