Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Can I Create This Bevel?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    To me it seems like CNC cutting the picks would mean cutting half way though the material with a chamfer bit then turning the material over and doing the same on the back side? Seems like you would also need to leave some attachment points to the sheet to keep the picks from flying off the CNC table?

I do not see how those chamfers could be cut by a hand router with a guide bearing and being able to cut chamfers on both sides? It seems like there would not be enough edge for the bearing to ride on?

Interesting problem... I look forwards to see what you come up with.
    Michael, thanks. What we will probably have to do is cut these individually, each pick, one by one. The reason for this is some of these industrial plastics we use are so expensive that it's much cheaper to buy it by the rod, then machine the shape of the pick from above and part it off. So I suspect I'm looking at creating a jig / holder thingie; and yes, I think you're right, it would need to be flipped 180 degrees to do the other side.

Thanks!
    Scott

Ineresting. I have woodworking business and am also a mandolin player. I am having a hard time understanding this market. I have always used extra heavy picks and have made some picks. My experience has been that once the picks are thick enough to lose flex the do not work. The picks I have made I beveled free hand on fine abrasive.

My method would be to make a jig to hold them against a sanding belt or disc or slow speed grinder. But that’s only if I had to make small runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    To me it seems like CNC cutting the picks would mean cutting half way though the material with a chamfer bit then turning the material over and doing the same on the back side? Seems like you would also need to leave some attachment points to the sheet to keep the picks from flying off the CNC table?

I do not see how those chamfers could be cut by a hand router with a guide bearing and being able to cut chamfers on both sides? It seems like there would not be enough edge for the bearing to ride on?

Interesting problem... I look forwards to see what you come up with.
    Michael, what you're saying makes perfect sense. And I would think ultimately one could create a large jig where the whole sheet could flip over, perfectly aligned. Not impossible to do, over time. And I agree about leaving a small tab as well.

Stay tuned! Thanks, Michael.

All the Best,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Ineresting. I have woodworking business and am also a mandolin player. I am having a hard time understanding this market. I have always used extra heavy picks and have made some picks. My experience has been that once the picks are thick enough to lose flex the do not work. The picks I have made I beveled free hand on fine abrasive.
    Brad, I don't like making money off my friends. If you wanna try one of our picks, I sell clean blems off at half price. What are you playing? Golden Gates? Dawgs? Dunlop?

PM me if interested. No big deal if you aren't. I'm not here to promote my business.

sm

Blog Entries
    I am having trouble understanding this thread as well.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I am having trouble understanding this thread as well.
    EDITED: See below.
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 03-08-2022 at 10:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    I guess I should have quoted "understanding this market"
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I guess I should have quoted "understanding this market"
    Maurice, forgive my misunderstanding. I want up just now and edited/deleted my response.

Yeah, it's a weird market. Actually, what's happened in the guitar industry in the last 15 years is that the economy has been very robust, so there are hundreds of thousands of guitar players who own guitars in the $5000-10,000. This, combined simultaneously with the rise of ecommerce and internet marketing, has caused the high-end accessories market to explode. This includes straps, strings, tuners, capos, pedals, cases, picks and dozens of other toys.

It's really crazy what people will buy.

I apologize for any misunderstanding I may have caused. Please let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to PM me if you feel like it.

Thanks, Maurice,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Memmer View Post
    Another reason I say this, Mike, is that another big Acrylic house is also making picks from PEEK (as we do), and I don't think PEEK could use that mold/die process. Am I understanding this correctly. Here is the (very similar) bevel design from this other vendor: Same bevel design:
    PEEK can be injection molded but high temperatures ($$ molds). Machining PEEK is tricky to get good finishes and it leaves burrs so a good deburring method is needed. The medical PEEK implants often CO2 blast for deburring.

I wonder... (random brainstorm) if a fixture that set into something like a knife sharpener would allow you to pass the edges through it and get the finish/angle you wanted. Worksharp has a small knife sharpener that simply holds the piece at an angle against a belt. But that is still one at a time...

Getting one side on a CNC could be done with a bit ground to the angle you want. Location indexing when flipped to the back side would be critical to pick up the edges accurately (several location pins needed), but that might be worth a try then the angled cut on the backside would also become the 'cutoff' where the part releases from the sheet. Could be tested with a standard angled bit.

I think the challenge here will be workholding. It makes sense that the other picks on the market would be hand ground following laser cutting. I'm guessing a two stage process (grind then buff) perhaps followed by a bulk tumble polishing process. With decent workholding/fixturing you could do the hand work fairly quickly and consistently.

While very nice, Personally I've never understood the type of pick you manufacture. I suppose it would make sense if you were a single line sharpshooter type player. I bought a gross of these (below) 30 years ago and they've served me well. I expect these are die cut from sheet, tumbled, and hot stamped. That's how I'd make them anyway. Perhaps a bit pedestrian compared to the boutique nature of your product, but serviceable and economical to manufacture.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

A PEEK doesn’t necessary cost more because of the mold, but to design the mold and HotRunner properly a moldflow analysis should be done also because of the thin part very high pressures are needed to inject it which can add cost to the HotRunner a little because to cost of high pressure tips are needed (but really that doesn’t add much) additionally depending on how many drops in the mold (parts) you could need a fairly large tonnage machine.

Also a properly setup process can produce flash free parts that require no post processing, it’s done all the time - Epipens, Novopen comes to mind where a part with even the tiniest bit of flash can mean death for its user

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    PEEK can be injection molded but high temperatures ($$ molds). Machining PEEK is tricky to get good finishes and it leaves burrs so a good deburring method is needed. The medical PEEK implants often CO2 blast for deburring.

I wonder... (random brainstorm) if a fixture that set into something like a knife sharpener would allow you to pass the edges through it and get the finish/angle you wanted. Worksharp has a small knife sharpener that simply holds the piece at an angle against a belt. But that is still one at a time...

Getting one side on a CNC could be done with a bit ground to the angle you want. Location indexing when flipped to the back side would be critical to pick up the edges accurately (several location pins needed), but that might be worth a try then the angled cut on the backside would also become the 'cutoff' where the part releases from the sheet. Could be tested with a standard angled bit.
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 03-09-2022 at 11:01 AM.

Did anyone see my post on how the OP’s picks that he posted are made? Some are laser cut, some are cast and all are hand finished at least thats what the company that makes them claims it’s not rocket science…. Although they also claim that they sell 100k of them a year, can you imagine hand finishing all of them without some sort of process that involves fixtures/jigs of some sort?

In case you haven't seen this thread, Dale occasionally does a short run of wood and brass picks.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ghlight=Guitar
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Memmer View Post
    Jamie, thanks so much. Forgive my ignorance, but could those bits be used on a standard router, or are they for CNC? It's cool either way, as I have a Shapeoko CNC coming on line in the next month or two, which is the way I want to do it long-term.

Thanks Again,
    Scott
    Generally speaking all CNC bits can be used on a router. But all router bits should not be used on a cnc. Basically if it comes down to safe plunging.