Thread: Drum sander belt tracking

Drum sander belt tracking

Hey all, I have a performax 16-32 drum sander... about a year ago the conveyor belt broke and I needed to replace.

Ordered new belt from super grit arrived look good enough could get to track straight no matter what I did... called, maybe it wasn't cut perfectly square so they sent another... improved but similar situation....

The only way I got the belt to track more or less straight left it somewhat loose on the open end of the machine causing a little pillow effect so to speak ...

While sanding normal sized stock this doesn't cause a problem but whenever I have to do something thinner say less than 3/8 or so, that pillow starts to touch the drum and sand against each other causing my paper to wear and well you get the idea. The DC suction makes that problem worse.

I have tried adjusting the belt so many different ways and nothing makes it both straight and no pillow.

What to do? Why did it track before and not after the replacement belt? Any thoughts much appreciated as I'm tired of dealing with this. Thanks

Kurt, I have the same sander and the same issue, except mine was from day 1. I'm on my 3rd conveyor belt, as once the edges get damaged they won't track (one was my fault when I installed it, I didn't check and it was hung on the outfeed bracket).

The guy I talked to at tech support was very responsive and apparently this is a known issue. He told me to check the motor side of the roller for parallel to the table. This will cause it to track badly. It was off by quite a bit and I thought that was the answer, but the issue persists, although it has improved.

I just keep an eye on it, but I can't go through a session without fiddling with the adjustments. I'm thinking about adding some layers of tape to one of the rollers, higher in the center, thinking it will hold the tracking more steady.

I really have to watch it closely running wide material (stands to reason).

I would call tech support anyway.

Have you tried switching out the belt orientation or checking the circumference at either side? I would suspect the belt. If they cut one out of square they could do it twice.

I have the same sander, and I find that I have to constantly tweak in the new belt. I recall the original belt took a bit to finally track, but once it did it required very little fiddling. Recently I replaced the belt, not a Performax/Jet OEM belt and I found that this one I have to constantly fiddle with it. It may be the non OEM belt is not as square. Belts all stretch, and this may settle down in the future. I found that I am getting it closer to tracking straight al the time. I may have to tweak it once a day now.

The manual does have some good information hoe to initially set the belt up. In case you didn't read that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Kurt, I have the same sander and the same issue, except mine was from day 1. I'm on my 3rd conveyor belt, as once the edges get damaged they won't track (one was my fault when I installed it, I didn't check and it was hung on the outfeed bracket).

The guy I talked to at tech support was very responsive and apparently this is a known issue. He told me to check the motor side of the roller for parallel to the table. This will cause it to track badly. It was off by quite a bit and I thought that was the answer, but the issue persists, although it has improved.

I just keep an eye on it, but I can't go through a session without fiddling with the adjustments. I'm thinking about adding some layers of tape to one of the rollers, higher in the center, thinking it will hold the tracking more steady.

I really have to watch it closely running wide material (stands to reason).

I would call tech support anyway.
    I too thought about doing something to offset the issue, but realized, if it was fine before it should be able to do it again. One belt I can understand, two, especially after stating the issue seems less likely, but anything is possible. I've had to clamp some small rabbeted pieces on the sides of the open end of the table to flatten the belt a little so it doesn't lift as much. This not only doesn't fix the issue, but also limits the capacity of the machine. When I'm doing something wider, the lift is obviously not an issue since the board keeps it down, but it still doesn't make much sense to me. Plus in my case, if I humped the middle it would actually cause more lift on the sides I would think. I read somewhere that the brass roll pins can wear and get out of square...again, if it were a developing issue I'd say maybe, but the fact that it was fine and then not leads me to less likely. Belt does seem most obvious, but can't keep buying belts when you only need 1!

Who do you contact for tech support on these? I thought performax was gone now? Did JET buy them?

I think I changed the belt around several ways and times. checking the circumference on a floppy belt isn't easy...if you have a method let me know.

Super common complaint. Those that are frustrated after buying an after market feed belt are usually more pleased when they buy an OEM belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Super common complaint. Those that are frustrated after buying an after market feed belt are usually more pleased when they buy an OEM belt.
    Does the JET belt interchange? I don't think they sell the Performax line anymore?

It used to interchange, but Jet has some new models. I'd call them to make sure before you order one. Edit; According to E-replacement parts; The Jet part number 60-0316-P Conveyor Belt. Is the correct one for the Performax 16-32. https://www.ereplacementparts.com/conveyorsanding-belt-100-grit-mil-p-449045.html

Prepare yourself, it costs $190.17
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 03-07-2022 at 4:17 PM.

Kurt ... I've been thru that EXACT-SAME-SCENARIO with Super Grit. I have a Jet 22-44 Oscillating Drum Sander. The oem belt always tracked perfectly. When it 'wore-out' I went to Super Grit ... the price was right. For the 1st one the open-end adjustment was completely loose and I couldn't sand 3/4" thick without the bubble touching the drum. The 2nd one 'improved' to about a 1/2" bubble. Then I tried my luck with Klingspor ... 3 tries didn't do much better. I went back to Super Grit for another try ... this one is at about a 3/8 bubble. I use 'carriers' as a work-around for thin stock. About 6 years-ago I found that I could sand dried pine (no pitch) in the oscillating mode without 'fouling' the sandpaper ... most of the carriers that I use are 3/4" pine B-C that I've sanded flat ... and all have end-stops.