Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Felder mini-wide belt sander FW 850 classic

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J Kelly View Post
    The SCM hovers around $21k in the US..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    I believe my price estimate of 8500-9500 is WAY off….
    Split the difference and you're in the ballpark. To be clear, this is NOT a production machine like the bigger units. That should be obvious from the size and price point. Where I see the value is in the one-person shop who has a need that a drum sander can't satisfy, but who don't have the budget/workload/power/dust collection for a bigger unit. Of course it's not as 37" machine but it isn't trying to be. Back in the my Italian days, we sold a good number of Sandya Wins, which were a 25" machine. I still see a fair number of those in service in commercial shops. If all you're doing is sanding faceframes, cutting boards, etc. then this could be a great option. Not sure what the availability looks like at this point (we still can't quote/order one) but I know they are planning to show one at the IWF show in August.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I heard from a reliable source ~$16, way to much and unless that machine has an anti dubbing feature paid with the air bladder platen they will suffer from the same issues the bigger brothers have (unless they added antidub to them).

i just bought a 2000 sandya win 25” for $4250 delivery included and they installed a new conveyor belt, the part alone was 1k.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Split the difference and you're in the ballpark. To be clear, this is NOT a production machine like the bigger units. That should be obvious from the size and price point. Where I see the value is in the one-person shop who has a need that a drum sander can't satisfy, but who don't have the budget/workload/power/dust collection for a bigger unit. Of course it's not as 37" machine but it isn't trying to be. Back in the my Italian days, we sold a good number of Sandya Wins, which were a 25" machine. I still see a fair number of those in service in commercial shops. If all you're doing is sanding faceframes, cutting boards, etc. then this could be a great option. Not sure what the availability looks like at this point (we still can't quote/order one) but I know they are planning to show one at the IWF show in August.

Erik
    Thank you for the additional details!

I was just wiping my company laptop before I send it back to Felder and out of curiosity, tried to see if I could quote one of these things and I actually could. So, it seems they are at least available to ORDER now. Again, still unsure about delivery time. Looking at the quote, what I can share is that this machine is WYSIWYG. No options, it is what it is. That being said, I still feel the price and value are in line with what you are getting. The nearest competitors would be the east Asian machines, which seem to have a spotty track record (at least in production environments). I guess my sales proposition for this unit would go something like, "Yes, you could go with one of those budget WB's but for a few $K more, look what you get".

Also, I don't have much info but the factory has apparently figured out a crating system that gives much more secure transport options for this particular unit. In the world of LTL delivery, WB's are one of the most damage-prone machines since that are tall and a little top-heavy. For example, any time I have to deliver one of these, it almost always has to go by dedicated truck, which shoots the cost way up. To my mind, there is additional value beyond just machine cost in guaranteeing that something like this can be delivered safely and without major rigging equipment.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have a Houfek 3, 950 or 37". Its in the class of the Sandya S1 In my opinion. That little Felder is a great idea. Lots of wide belts dont get used for more than an hour at a time. There is a big market for machines that are convenient, but not used for production

I had an older SCM Sandya Win 25" with a 12hp motor. I never had a shortage of power. My Houfek is 15hp and has never been short of power. There is no question that a production shop would want more power than I have but usually sand pieces, legs, aprons, and tops. much of the sanding is literally 3" - 4" wide.

I think Felder nailed it with that machine in that size. Its not for everyone, but lots of shops ( and hobby shops) will see it as a great addon. More than enough machine for most

If it had existed when I bought my Grizzly widebelt, I would have bought it instead. Seems pretty perfect for my environment. Plus hey, a color match for all my other Felder stuff. Not a production shop here. But the 33" instead of the 24" I have, would be extremely helpful to me.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I saw this unit in at IWF, and it is insanely small for what it is, not just in height, but in overall footprint. I'm not sure there's anything else like it on the market, but I've also not heard anyone say anything about it. I believe they are at $22k which is a comparable price to many larger 37" units including the SCM DMC SD 10, Laguna, Timesavers 1300's, etc. The main selling point really does seem to be the price, but I bet they would have a much easier time selling it if they lowered that price a bit.
    Last edited by derek labian; 11-14-2022 at 10:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Erik Loza if you could be my salesman how would I get you to give me a quote?
    To be clear - I'm a hobbyist and while I may could cough up the money - I'm not sure my wife would allow me to sleep in the house again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    Erik Loza if you could be my salesman how would I get you to give me a quote?
    To be clear - I'm a hobbyist and while I may could cough up the money - I'm not sure my wife would allow me to sleep in the house again.
    Erik is no longer in the business.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was told it was less than that. The 950 is $25k. I believe it is more like $16k. My Felder salesman tells me the build quality is good but I have no experience with it to say. I did see it at IWF and the footprint was great for a small shop.

I guess we will see when someone picks one up!

PK

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J Kelly View Post
    I was told it was less than that. The 950 is $25k. I believe it is more like $16k. My Felder salesman tells me the build quality is good but I have no experience with it to say. I did see it at IWF and the footprint was great for a small shop.

I guess we will see when someone picks one up!

PK
    Thats what I had heard as well, but I was told a higher price at IWF (~$22k) and the floor model (at IWF) of the 950c was offered at $26.5k..

Don’t know why anyone would want this, looks lightweight for the price, for 5-10 k you can get a used SCM 25”- -37” built way better.

Here is the 37” I paid $8200 for delivered…

90F1995A-B218-4FE0-91FA-47C2F2CB59C9.jpg038F4BC6-D43E-48D2-B7A2-53F25240DF65.jpg

Mark,

I agree 100%. I just need to find one in that kind of condition!

PK

IME, cherry Italian used widebelts are a pretty rare thing. Usually, your options are auction buys that are full of dust and require a LOT of spare parts to get running to factory spec again. It’s not really fair to compare new to used machinery prices. Sure, you might find a diamond once in a while but there’s an argument to be made fore being able to just write a check, have the thing get delivered on a liftgate truck, full warranty/factory support, etc. To each, their own.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Wasn’t really trying to compare price only to say for half the cost you can get a much better machine and build than this specific Felder, true the SCM 37” one is in excellent shape but I have come across a few and, the 25” sandya that I had ($4200) right before this (bought 1-2 months before then found the 37” when I was looking for a shaper) was definitely ridden hard but worked pretty much flawlessly. Both delivered by lift gate and 30 day warranty - laughable sure but so is “factory” support in most cases. Also I believe the SCM 37” is still made and retails for about 22k

My advice don’t buy a low end sander from a major manufacturer new when you can have an SCM at less than 1/2 the cost, these SCM’s have a long proven rock solid history…

pic of the 25”
    3412551D-214E-44C7-BEA8-8849B98566E9.jpg
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 11-17-2022 at 3:54 PM.