Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Felder mini-wide belt sander FW 850 classic

Felder mini-wide belt sander FW 850 classic

Pretty cool that Felder is making smaller units.

FW 850 Classic

1 meter squared of space, 7.5HP. Almost no other details that I could see? I don't even see the width of the belt?

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 9.49.13 AM.jpg

That is way cool, I'd love to have a smaller wide belt. I just dont have room or electrical service for a huge machine. Be curious as to specs and pricing.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

850/25.4 = 33.5”ish

You guys know as much as we do. Have only gotten the brief promo material so far. Nothing as far as pricing, availability, specs, etc. I've been out of town but somehow recall more info coming in April.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

They just release it today and US Felder reps are awaiting more information on it today, said my rep this morning. Love the marketing “space-saving miracle finds its place even in the smallest shop” ��
    Last edited by Pat Rice; 03-07-2022 at 12:06 PM.

We got the ballpark price in the sales meeting this morning. Won't share on the open forum but I can state that it is both attractive and competitive. This machine is still a true widebelt, not a drum sander, so keep that in mind when you are calling your Felder rep but based on how popular the Sandya Win was, I definitely see a market for folks who either can't swing a 37" WB or just don't need a machine that runs a full shift a day. Also, I was surprised to learn that it apparently has a combination head with an electro-pneumatic platen, which is a feature you don't even get on some of the $30K+ industrial widebelts. Still waiting on actual tech data from Austria.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

As soon as I saw this thread this morning I called my salesman.

I like this line on the web:

The FELDER FW 850 classic wide belt sander makes it affordable to take that next step into professional woodworking and it is this high quality standard configuration that particularly impresses.

I hope we can find out soon more details because this is the perfect size to replace my dual drum sander.

PK

As soon as I saw the inflatable platen I was thinking maybe I should cancel the Sandya win that i put a deposit on. I have read that inflatable platens can be troublesome but thinking that was on older machines but if executed well they can have the finesse to sand pressed commercial veneer panels where a hard platen is iffy. Although nothing comes close to a segmented for veneer.

Does it have a steel or rubber contact roller?
    One other thing, can we assume the 850 means it is 33.5 sanding width? Thats a nice size but guessing that means ordering none standard width belts (i think?) most are made to order anyways for length but wonder if that width is going to limit brand choice or do you know if all makers will do custom widths?

It looks like a lighter build than the year 2000 Sandy win I would want to see one in person and run it, any idea when one will be in a showroom? Bet the lead time will be a killer though… my price prediction is under 10k , 8500-&9500

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    We got the ballpark price in the sales meeting this morning. Won't share on the open forum but I can state that it is both attractive and competitive. This machine is still a true widebelt, not a drum sander, so keep that in mind when you are calling your Felder rep but based on how popular the Sandya Win was, I definitely see a market for folks who either can't swing a 37" WB or just don't need a machine that runs a full shift a day. Also, I was surprised to learn that it apparently has a combination head with an electro-pneumatic platen, which is a feature you don't even get on some of the $30K+ industrial widebelts. Still waiting on actual tech data from Austria.

Erik
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 03-07-2022 at 8:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    Pretty cool that Felder is making smaller units.

FW 850 Classic

1 meter squared of space, 7.5HP. Almost no other details that I could see? I don't even see the width of the belt?

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 9.49.13 AM.jpg
    SCM already makes mini sander DMC SD10. takes 1.3m2, belt width 950mm.

Looking at the height of the unit, SCM being close to 1.7m high, SCM's belt MAYBE be longer than Felder, on SCM its 1525mm long, SCM's unit come with platen as well.

here is a link to SCM's sander with pricing. Knowing SCM in NZ I know I can probably get it under $20k NZD + tax. which is about $14k USD.

https://jmjwood.co.uk/products/scm-dmc-sd-10-sander
    Last edited by Albert Lee; 03-08-2022 at 2:06 AM.

Hi Albert, I don’t think that 850 comes even close to the build of the DMC, I wouldn’t put the 850 in a professional shop but the DMC i would without hesitation. They should have branded it a Hammer as it’s obviously value engineered it with things like the Chinese $90 DRO from Alibaba.. that said i think it will be a winner like the Hammer edge sander for hobbyists

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    SCM already makes mini sander DMC SD10. takes 1.3m2, belt width 950mm.

Looking at the height of the unit, SCM being close to 1.7m high, SCM's belt MAYBE be longer than Felder, on SCM its 1525mm long, SCM's unit come with platen as well.

here is a link to SCM's sander with pricing. Knowing SCM in NZ I know I can probably get it under $20k NZD + tax. which is about $14k USD.

https://jmjwood.co.uk/products/scm-dmc-sd-10-sander

Looks like a nice machine for the hobbyist or part timer. Pricing will be key. 33" belt is a bit weird. Seems like they could have stretched the width to get it to that 36" mark. But 33" is more than enough with for most.

I have a 25 x 2 supermax drum sander now. A smaller footprint 36" widebelt would be ideal for me one day.

The SCM hovers around $21k in the US and is 18hp. I think it is a different beast! Much larger too.

PK

I believe my price estimate of 8500-9500 is WAY off….

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    I believe my price estimate of 8500-9500 is WAY off….
    I have seen a Felder FW 1100 series sander in the last 2-3 years.

not too impressed, with the money they are asking I think I deserve better machine.... so decided to keep my 20 yo SCM WBS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J Kelly View Post
    The SCM hovers around $21k in the US and is 18hp. I think it is a different beast! Much larger too.

PK
    yes... it seems to be larger in all aspects. probably built for industrial use. not hobbyist