Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for Air Assisted Airless, or other methods for spraying latex paint

So I was able to get my hands on a gallon of SW Emerald Urethane Trim Satin. No simple task. My local SW said they haven't seen any in months. None of the local stores had any either. I eventually found some about 30 miles away. Crazy.

Haven't used any yet. I'll report back in a few days.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Yeah, I think either a SW plant went down or one of their supplierd's. Product availability has been spotty for months.

John

The whole paint industry is really hurting right now from multiple factors...ingredients, manufacturing, etc. Unfortunately, folks have to be a little more flexible with. brand/product right now because of that when something absolutely has to get done. SW is always my first choice for paint and I have three stores to try with the local BM purveyor a close second. But there have been a few situations where the box-store got the nod simply because of availability.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The whole paint industry is really hurting right now from multiple factors...ingredients, manufacturing, etc. Unfortunately, folks have to be a little more flexible with. brand/product right now because of that when something absolutely has to get done. SW is always my first choice for paint and I have three stores to try with the local BM purveyor a close second. But there have been a few situations where the box-store got the nod simply because of availability.
    Not surprised. There must have been 20 SW stores between mine and the only one that had this particular product.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

The folks in the stores are not happy about this for obvious reasons...it not only affects sales numbers, but it can also can cause customers who were exclusive to the brand to potentially find a better mate for when things smooth out.
    --

At least some of the paint at HD is made by SW's. I'm pretty sure HD's Urethane Alkyd Trim Enamel is pretty much the same as SW's Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-PRE...0004/311033792

My friend used it on some interior window trim and it looked, smelled, and brushed just like SW's product. Dried hard and looks great. Sometimes you gotta take a leap and try something else - on some test specimens first of course.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    At least some of the paint at HD is made by SW's. I'm pretty sure HD's Urethane Alkyd Trim Enamel is pretty much the same as SW's Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-PRE...0004/311033792

My friend used it on some interior window trim and it looked, smelled, and brushed just like SW's product. Dried hard and looks great. Sometimes you gotta take a leap and try something else - on some test specimens first of course.

John
    Interesting. And a lot cheaper too.

BTW, sign of the times. That "gallon" container of paint.... Not so much.
    Gallon of paint.jpg

This is probably old news, but inflation rages on. We're seeing portions being made smaller in all the restaurants we go to. Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Interesting. And a lot cheaper too.

BTW, sign of the times. That "gallon" container of paint.... Not so much.
    Gallon of paint.jpg

This is probably old news, but inflation rages on. We're seeing portions being made smaller in all the restaurants we go to. Sigh...
    Was that a "gallon" container of tint base? I thought they left room in the tint base containers for the coloring agents.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

My wife likes the look of painted furniture and built-ins. I have used BM Advance on many a project. Spayed with a Fugi 4 system and 1.8 needle with good results but always about 15% thinning. Always used BIN as a undercoat. Redcoat time is a real pain though.

When I couldn't get the SW EU, I bought some Behr Trim and Cabinet paint. I wish I had tried their Urethane Enamel because I was less than satisfied with the Trim and Cabinet.

One other problem was the White was not quite as bright of a white that the SW was. It was in a rental house, so we just let it go.

Whites are always a challenge, Tom...it kinda forces one to stick with a single brand and product. It's pretty interesting how the human eye really can see even a minor difference when the light is just so!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Whites are always a challenge, Tom...it kinda forces one to stick with a single brand and product. It's pretty interesting how the human eye really can see even a minor difference when the light is just so!
    Which reminds me, never, ever let a customer say "Oh, just paint it white." without giving them a color specimen for approval. Otherwise, on delivery day, you are likely to hear "Oh, I thought it would be brighter, or I guess I really wanted something more yellow, or on and on.

John

I have a Graco corded Ultra handheld sprayer for small tasks like this. It works great, using a fine finish tip it gets flawless results using latex enamel paints no thinning required. Maybe add a little flotruel for best results, but I was getting goo results after 20 minutes of practicing. Clean up is nice as it uses deposable cusp liners and no hoses to clean out. I believe they no longer sell the ultra corded, but the cordless version is available and uses dealt batteries. Good luck.