Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagon Mechanics Talk To Me

I don't see a need to replace the master cylinder right now based on what I know so far. It's a dual cylinder and until I get all the brake work done and start bleeding the system I won't know what condition the master cylinder is in, it would be difficult to replace since the area forward of the fire wall is only accessible from the wheel wells. The right front bake shoes are installed, just need to install the new wheel bearings and it will be complete.

I am working around the daily schedule right now. Yesterday we had the worst rain storm here since hurricane Isabel, everything flooded and I had a doctor's appointment about twenty miles from home. I picked up a large bag full of car parts on the way home and when I got here the day was over. Today won't be much better, I only have this morning to work on the brakes.

Blog Entries
    the local parts store didn't have any hose
    One of the problems with VWs in the early days was with gas line hose. VW used 6mm, American vehicles often used 1/4" hose. Close but not close enough. Occasionally the fuel pressure would cause the hose to slip off.

Brake hose has fitting of course.

Are there no foreign auto dealers in your area?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Strangely enough the two lines between the brake fluid reservoir and the master cylinder have fittings only on one end. They are flex hose but I don't know what their composition is? There is a fitting in both master cylinder ports but they are designed for slip on hoses or this is a bad hack that someone installed. My local O'Reiley's auto parts doesn't have any information in their system concerning the connections between the reservoir and the master cylinder.

At this point I am considering ordering another reservoir and hoses from a more modern car. I don't see where that would present a problem.

Jim, we have a VW dealer in Newport news about 15 miles from my home. I think I will call them this morning.

If that reservoir includes the brake master cylinder, there's something to consider. On most cars, the brake fluid pressure is different between the front and rear brakes. That's because the front brakes do most of the stopping. If the pressure was balanced, the back brakes would lock up before the front and you could spin.

The problem with putting a brake master cylinder from another car is that it will be balanced for the weight distribution for that car.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The reservoir is remote to the master cylinder. It's located under the drivers side wheel well which is part of the problem. The reservoir has a crack in the plastic bowl and has leaked to the point it is almost empty. Putting a brake fluid reservoir in a wheel well is not a good choice in my mind, it was probably damaged by a rock thrown from the tire. I intend to relocate the reservoir over the top of the master cylinder which is probably the best location. I think is was originally mounted in the trunk of the VW about 2 feet above the master cylinder.

I don't intend to replace the master cylinder just connect it to a new reservoir which shouldn't be a problem except the the stock reservoir has hose connectors, no fittings which is the most common means of connecting the reservoir to the master cylinder. I don't trust the existing hoses, they look pretty old and need to be replaced. If I obtain a modern reservoir it will have fittings so I can use a manufactured brake line hose with fittings on both ends.

Make sure the hoses are compatible with brake fluid. It is not a mineral oil. Gasoline is bad for brake hoses.
    Bill D

I have ordered a 24 inch piece of hose made specifically for brake fluid.

Hose barbs and a screw clamp are probably fine for this. It is only holding back. the pressure of 12-24 inches of brake fluid. A low pressure, easy to hold back with your thumb on the hose.
    Do not over think it.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My recollection is the oil cooler is mounted right above the #3 cylinder and lessened the flow of cooling air available to the #3 cylinder.

jtk

That's exactly right. The points cam in the distributor was cut so that #3 cylinder would fire 4 degrees retarded to lessen the load on it and make it cooler. If the distributor was removed and replaced with the rotor in the wrong position -and spark plug wires moved to correct the firing order that created a big problem.

As I remember there were two major failings with the engine. If the engine was run hard and the valves not adjusted #3 exhaust valve would break and drop into the combustion chamber. The other was the flexible crankshaft would beat down the center main bearing if run at high RPM. I had a book on hot rodding Bug engines (an oxymoron, I know) and it said that engine life at 5500 RPM was measured in minutes. For all the racket they made they weren't high revving engines.

The engine was pumping out about 70 hp at the end of its life. When it was first designed 25 hp at the rear wheels was considered plenty.

I remember driving with a date to a concert in my bug. On the way to the concert the windshield washer hose in the dash decided to split spaying blue washer solvent all over my white bell bottoms. In spite of everything I have fond memories of the car.

(edit: when I rebuilt the engine I had Manley stainless steel valves put into the head to make it more durable.)
    -Tom
    Last edited by Tom Stenzel; 03-27-2022 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Hose barbs and a screw clamp are probably fine for this. It is only holding back. the pressure of 12-24 inches of brake fluid. A low pressure, easy to hold back with your thumb on the hose.
    Do not over think it.
    Bill D
    Thanks Bill.
    Since the reservoir does not have a pressure style cap (vented) I had decided that it was just a trickle fill with no pressure to speak of.

I ordered a new reservoir that was supposed to install on top of the 67 VW type one master cylinder but the barbs were to large for the master cylinder. I am now back to mounting the first reservoir on the fire wall and using hoses to connect it to the master cylinder. I fabricated an aluminum bracket this morning and will mount it after lunch today. Assuming there will be no leaks I will start servicing the back brakes tomorrow.

Yesterday I removed both sides of the interior upholstery, they were sun weathered pretty bad, I will remove the upholstery around the back of the back seat later today. Based on the configuration of the sides and rear of the interior I am considering wooden panels instead of traditional upholstered panels. The car is a roadster style and I think wood might look real nice. I have seen some dune buggy's that have wooden rear seats the look real nice. There would be some steam bending involved and although I don't have much experience with it I have a friend who repairs music instruments that I might be able to talk into helping me. My only goal right now it to make the necessary repairs to get the car inspected.

I started working on the back brakes many days ago and have been stalled waiting on O-rings to be delivered so I can replace the bearings. Starting my garden and replacing my shop refrigerator has been taking up the time waiting on parts which are scheduled to be here tomorrow. I will finish planting today and sharpen my mower blades so I can cut grass, with luck I will be back working on the VW tomorrow.

The rear bearings are oil fed from the transmission so I lost a considerable amount of oil when I removed the cover for the passenger side bearing. I was a bit shocked when I went to the auto parts store and had to pay $56.00 per gallon for oil. Since I had to remove the right rear metal brake fluid line to replace the brake caliper I ordered a complete kit so I could replace of the the old lines as needed.

I had a glass dune buggy in 1968 when they were still pretty new. Bought it from a coworker for $800, who had just built it. 40 horse, we kept it till '74 and put a lot of desert miles on it.

A couple years later, I bought a home made, street legal rail job from another coworker. It had a 1600 and a bus transaxle with reduction gears. This gave it some low gears to climb, along with 11" of ground clearance. It would go over almost any trail and could climb 'suicide hill' (where I once watched a bronco tumble end over end) forward AND backward. It was fantastic, but butt ugly. After owning it about 5 years, it caught fire while being towed and was a total loss.

When My son was about 15, we bought one of the last glass bodies available, and built another one from scratch. He got to use it a lot, and it was a great father son project. Wiring is about as simple as you can get.

We still own a cabin near Pioneer Town.

I may have a VW manual. I will look for it, and let you know.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thanks Rick,

Not surprised that you have owned 3 dune buggy's since you live in the land of dune buggy's. They are pretty rare to see on the east coast anymore, I wonder if that's true in California.

Don't see many on the street, but there is an annual weekend in Big Bear Lake where there are literally hundreds of them, including REAL Meyers Manx's.

I see yours is not on the usual shortened chassis, should be a bit more room in it than most. A friend recently sold one just like yours.

I will try to find my manual.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.