Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to replace my 3x21 belt sander

Time to replace my 3x21 belt sander

I rarely use the belt sander but when I do it's nice not to have to try to borrow one. What I have now is at least 30 (probably closer to 40) year old Craftsman. It's still using the original drive belt and works just fine except the rubber drive wheel has gotten hard and now the belts slip. At first I thought maybe it was bad joints in the belt but what's happening is the belt occasionally slipping on the wheel is damaging the joint on the inside of the belt causing belt joints to fail.

So now I'm trying to decide if I should get a 4x24 vs a 3x21. The downside seems to be that the local stores don't stock 4x24 belts so if I need one in a hurry I could be forced to wait on a delivery. Since I don't use a belt sander very often I don't like to keep too many on hand. What are others opinion about a 4x24 sander? Pricewise they seem not too much more than a 3x21. Are they too big and bulky? Belt sanders aren't really a nimble tool. Then there's brands. Right now I'm leaning towards Makita simply because I worked at a shop that had them and they seem to work just fine. But I'm open to pretty much any brand.

I have one of each. A newer Rigid 3X21 and an older Porter Cable 4X24. Neither one gets used much. The PC is a beast. Heavy and powerful. The Rigid is lightweight and easy to use one handed. Just used the Rigid this weekend sharpening my lawnmower blade.

I have a 4x24 Porter Cable that as Robert stated is a beast. Also have a Makita 9924. Both will go all day but the Makita is lighter and nicer to use for "finesse " work like scribing to a line in fitting cabinet panels to a wall. I would look for a Makita.

Best belt sander I've ever used has been the Bosch.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

If this sander ever dies ill be a Flea Bay finding another one. It was used when I got it, 45 years old now and it was used hard till I I built a stroke sander. Later upgraded twice. Made in USA quality that matches old Senco. Many times it was hot enough to cook a pizza and it never phased it. The on and off switch was replaced by a heavy duty one and it was re greased inside once by the past owner who sold it to me. Rockwell made good stuff.

P1800926A.jpg

The belt sander I had before this one was a pre plastic craftsman. The drive belt guard was steel who everything else was aluminum. One day it took a fall and broke the front handle off. It was a beast. The other sander I had was an old Porter Cable that looked like a 50's locomotive. It was a chain drive that a bearing went and the armature ground to a halt. That was a nice sander but before the internet so when it came to parts either they still sold new parts or it wasn't fixable.

I do have a Bosch palm sander that Ford gave me to test drive an F150. I've used it a lot and the only issue was the hooks on the pad no longer held the sandpaper. Otherwise it's been great. I'll take a look at their belt sanders.

I bought a B&D "Dragster" 3X21 - simply because the nose of it will fit under the lower rail of a deck railing so I could sand there when sanding down an outside deck,
    That was something like 15 years ago & the stupid thing is still going strong.

If you ever have the need to reach under something to sand - the "Dragster" is a decent lower cost tool.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    So now I'm trying to decide if I should get a 4x24 vs a 3x21.
    I had one of each. When I parsed the shop a while back I let the 3x21 go and kept the 4x24. When I am using a belt sander it is for heavier/more crude material removal and the larger footprint seems to serve that better. Plus less apt to dig in since more stable.

A long time ago Dewalt had one on a base that could flip up on your bench and use stationary. If you dont have something like that already it might be a nice feature.

(some of them can be LOUD - dont know if they are all that way, but quieter would be nice).

I’d suggest an entirely different approach - a geared rotary sander .

Haven’t used my belt sanders since getting one. Even for fitting scribes.

This is the best value going:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Power-T...07WK42NC5?th=1

Dave is that just a sander set up on a grinder body ? What is the RPM ?

Blog Entries
    I have an ancient Makita 9924DB (still a current model) 3x24 sander that also takes 3x24" belts. That thing just won't die, despite a lot of use & abuse. The platen protrudes on one side so you can sand right up to a perpendicular surface on that side. I have no problem getting 3 or 4" belts for it, usually ordered online. My Ridgid oscillating sander sander takes 4x24 belts so that's the only size I buy now. I've had great luck with Klingspor belts & have never had one break at the seam, even on belts over 10 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    I’d suggest an entirely different approach - a geared rotary sander .

Haven’t used my belt sanders since getting one. Even for fitting scribes.

This is the best value going:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Power-T...07WK42NC5?th=1
    Dave, how do you avoid cross grain scratches when using this on something wide in place of a belt sander? I can see how it would work well for scribes where the sanded edge isn't seen, but what about other uses?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I have a Bosch 3x21, purchased a couple decades ago. I've used it maybe twice in each decade. I typically use my Rotex 150 for heavy removal. It works fine and the only negative is the very small dust port that's more of a challenge to adapt a hose from an extractor to. I actually do have a sanding frame for it in case I want to do a large flat surface and minimize risk of gouging.

As to the size decision, the work you want to do with it has to enter into things...the smaller unit is more versatile and easier to handle. The larger one is "mo better" for large surfaces where mass and stability come into play. A really good one can rip your arm off... LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I cannot imagine substituting a rotary sander for jobs better done using a belt sander. But it's all dependent on the type of work you do and the skill you have using the specific tool.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I cannot imagine substituting a rotary sander for jobs better done using a belt sander. But it's all dependent on the type of work you do and the skill you have using the specific tool.
    This. They are different tools for different applications. While there's overlap, one is not a substitute for the other.