Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to replace my 3x21 belt sander

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I have an ancient Makita 9924DB (still a current model) 3x24 sander that also takes 3x24" belts. That thing just won't die, despite a lot of use & abuse. The platen protrudes on one side so you can sand right up to a perpendicular surface on that side. I have no problem getting 3 or 4" belts for it, usually ordered online. My Ridgid oscillating sander sander takes 4x24 belts so that's the only size I buy now. I've had great luck with Klingspor belts & have never had one break at the seam, even on belts over 10 years old.
    I have that same sander, at least 35 years old. I can't kill it. I made a hose adapter for my vacuum hose. When (if) it dies I will replace it with a Makita 9404 variable speed 4" x 24" model.

You can run 3"wide belts on a 4" sander if necessary.

Until it died I had an Elu belt sander with variable speed that went down to a creep, just faster than hand sanding. That was a really nice feature that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I have that same sander, at least 35 years old. I can't kill it. I made a hose adapter for my vacuum hose.
    I used an ABS pipe coupling, a heat gun & some epoxy to make a fitting to connect to that awkward rectangular port on the sander. Much better with a vac attached. Mine is also at least 35 years old, maybe 40. My wife bought it for me for a birthday present & it has turned out to be a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I cannot imagine substituting a rotary sander for jobs better done using a belt sander. But it's all dependent on the type of work you do and the skill you have using the specific tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    This. They are different tools for different applications. While there's overlap, one is not a substitute for the other.
    If for some reason my mention of my Rotex made it seem like I was advocating rotary "instead" of belt, I apologize because that wasn't my intention. I own both as noted, but have rarely been in a situation where the belt sander was the right tool for the job...for my particular projects. The last time I actually pulled it out, it got used as a poor-man's tiny edge sander.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The key seems to be that the one tool in your shop that will almost never die is a belt sander. There's not much to them. I can't say I've done any small projects where nimbleness would be of value. I think I'll go with a 3x24 and see if I can soften the rubber drive wheel on my old sander. Belt sanders seem to be a dying bread. Bosch, Milwaukee, and Dewalt no longer make them. I haven't looked into a Festool Rotex simply because I do have a 7" disc sander that gets even less use than my belt sander.

a belt sander is a necessary tool. I will always use the stroke sander first choice if possible as 6 x 309" belt. Before stroke sanders the belt sander was my only choice then random then hand straight line or belt hand to hand straight line. some work can be too large or heavy to get onto a stroke sander so then next best thing is the belt sander. Id never be without one.

I looked for a new belt sander some time ago, looked to me they are kinda dinosaurs now. DeWalt did not even offer a belt sander any longer (at the time) Ended up buying a 1980's Craftsman at a second hand store.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dinasours are good, didnt you watch the Flintstones?

Maybe because they elected to market the PC 352vs? Actually, this would finally be a good strategy.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I've got the little Bosch, maybe it's a Ryobi "brick" sander. Amongst a half a dozen or so belt sanders, it's my go to and has been with me the longest. The brick shape make it super versatile, as it can be clamped in place or to jigs for all sorts of uses.

I have a 3x21 belt sander but I almost never use it for the reasons Jim B already suggested. I have a Bosch orbital sander with 5mm stroke and "turbo" mode. It removes wood as fast as my belt sander. Plus it's just flip a switch and I am in orbital mode. Those suggesting a belt sander is an absolute requirement need to try an orbital with rotary mode. You might find the newer tool is worthwhile and even better. No digging in at the edge of the sander if you are not careful, for instance. It is quite a different tool than a 5 inch orbital with 3mm stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    ... Those suggesting a belt sander is an absolute requirement need to try an orbital with rotary mode. You might find the newer tool is worthwhile and even better. No digging in at the edge of the sander if you are not careful
    Not a chance.

The digging in only occurs with poor technique.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I used to use the one handed Porter-Cable for trimming horses hooves. This just made me realize that I don't know what happened to it. My 4x24 Rockwell is from the mid '70's, and I don't remember how old the Bosch 3x21 one is. Both of those still work but they're used so seldom that any belts I have for them have passed their end of life just from age.

Small belt sander belts have the life span of a fruit fly. Some manufacturers quoted me one year I think 3M was the highest with three years. I have stroke sander belts 40 years old some in unopened boxes that were in the attic hot and cold over the years. They work fine. Not sure if its more heat in the little tiny ones but the joints are junk with any amount of time depending on the manufacturer.

Belt sanders seem to be a dying bread. Bosch, Milwaukee, and Dewalt no longer make them.
    I suspect that part of that is because there are other ways for flattening surfaces that are a lot more popular these days, such as drum and wide-belt sanders, and other tools like the aforementioned Rotex for heavy sculpting and stock removal. These other methods most likely have cut into the market for hand-held belt sanders enough that it's discouraged manufacturers from continuing to make them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

ive sanded lots of stuff that would not fit a wide belt or a drum sander. Stroke sander many things as you can drop the table towards the floor if stuff fits in or at times you can hang some stuff off the front of the table. They can do stuff a wide belt or drum cant.

Ive done speaker cabinets so large and heavy that they could not go on the stroke sander. You can run down to at least 24 grit on a belt sander. Basically rocks.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 03-07-2022 at 10:49 PM.