Thread: Purpleheart bleeding?

Purpleheart bleeding?

I've had this piece of Purpleheart for years, and I've never had Purpleheart "bleed" like this. It's at 5% moisture content. If I sand it, the bleeding comes back within a short time.

Question...Can the bleeding be stopped when finishing? Perhaps by hitting it with shellac first? I don't want to use this piece if the bleeding will just return in weeks, months or years.

IMG_0098.jpg

You have a real stumper. Since no one else has offered, I will take a shot based on general characteristics of wood. I have no experience with purpleheart. The grain is highly figured so I guess internal tension might cause distortion when machined. It may be what is called 'reaction wood.' How thick is the board?

The bleeding pattern certainly looks like a liquid is emerging from inside the board. Do these areas have any odor? My only idea for a cause is that a viscous liquid like propylene glycol got into the wood somehow. It bleeds to a point of equilibrium between coats and then bleeds some more after the surface is sanded. You could try dewaxed shellac as a sealant but that would change the color of the surface and may just slow down the bleeding. I have other ideas on how to 'extract' the contaminant but it may not be worth the effort and expense.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

The board is currently 7/8" thick, and no odors. When I bought it roughsawn, it was already bleeding - I didn't think anything of it at the time. I will avoid "oily" boards in the future. In the meantime, I sanded it and sealed it with shellac to see what happens over time.