Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Floating Wall Cabinet with a Floating Top

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike and thanks to all for your patience. I am applying the last top coats now but it was a battle. Even after stripping and re-coloring the original problem reared its ugly head again. The surfaces that were previously waterborne top coated kept trying to turn yellow-green as they did shortly after the original application. I stripped them again and scrubbed the material with mineral spirits. I then card scraped and hand planed surfaces to remove a layer of wood from the entire surfaces involved. I re-colored and waited a few days. All seemed well. I put on an initial topcoat of an oil varnish blend and waited a few more days. All seems well. Additional coats to follow and we'll see where I end up.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very interesting project. I always learn a lot following your projects, Glenn! Thanks for taking the time to document and photograph them!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Oops. In the previous post I mentioned "the original problem" but had never really discussed it. I made the rookie move of trying a new finishing product and using HVLP which I have minimal experience with. The result was a push of the color toward a yellow-green that would have rocked in the early 70s . The product (General Finishes High Performance) and HVLP are used with good success by many and I want to be clear that the failure was surely due to my inexperience with the product and the method of application .

I used a Citristrip to remove the topcoat from the two surfaces I had applied it to. I must have done a poor job on the wash after the stripping. The oil base top coat I switched to looked great for a day or so and then the yellow-green coloration crept back. I stripped again and scraper, hand plane, and sanded back a 1/64" or so of material. Things seem to be doing OK now. More pics soon.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I'm getting back to the look I'm after. I will knock a lot of the gloss off of this before I'm done.

Float-Med-Cab (188).jpg . Float-Med-Cab (187).jpg . Float-Med-Cab (191).jpg

These are under shop lights and with flash. I'll get some shots with it installed soon.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I've had some finishing challenges which I will relay later. For now, some progress.

Float-Med-Cab (197).jpgFloat-Med-Cab (196).jpg

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-20-2022 at 4:46 PM. Reason: 7402

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Sorry. Almost forgot. Under lighting

Float-Med-Cab (207).jpg

It is adjustable and kind of emphasizes the floating effect. Makes for a nice ambient light when watching TV at night too.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-22-2022 at 9:34 AM.

– Samuel Butler