Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8-32 tap for long tapped holes

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Anthony, did you see that link in post #6? I wonder if that picture is an 8-32.
    Which is post #6? None of the posts that show #6 have a link.

8/32 is pretty small. If you're tapping 1" deep there is a strong likelihood that you'll break a tap.

The spiral pointed gun taps recommended by Tom are probably your best bet.

I will check the taps I have at work tomorrow and get back to you on this.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I am looking for a 8-32 tap to create threads in 1" long hole. Not a hole 1" tapped at the bottom, but a 1" piece with a hole tapped all the way through it. What do I need to google to get a 8-32 tap capable of producing 1" of threads? Searching for '8-32 extended tap' results in the getting really long taps that will still only produce 3/4" of threads.
    What material are you drilling and tapping the hole into? What is the function of the tapped hole? You can adjust your percentage thread depth to make the hole easier to tap while still maintaining thread strength and having less likelihood of breaking your tap in the hole.
    David

"Nut tap"
    Bill D

Mild steel. Technically it is a lead screw and should be an acme thread. But I don't have taps or threaded rod, so a standard 8-32 thread will have to do. The 1" width is to try to minimize any racking as the load is 1 1/2" from the tapped hole. If I had the metal working tools, I'd rather cut away the middle 1/2" but the two holes need to stay clocked. So with the tools I have, one continuous hole will have to do.

I would tap as deep as possible with a conventional tap then switch to a nut tap for final depth. The nut tap is more likely to snap so clean out the hole often, before needed. A pulley length tap may or may not be a nut tap form.
    Bill D

9. Hello.
    Here are some catalog numbers for reduced shank 8-32 taps:

Greenfield Threading GT925083 8-32 Spiral Point Tap.
    Cle-Line C66732 Reduced Shank Drill/Tap.
    Norseman 56980 Reduced Shank Tap.

This style of tap should get you through 1”. I have some Regal Beloit taps (70’s vintage) that I have used of the same tap design to tap deep holes.

https://allindustrial.com/procut-em8...point-ext-tap/
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

11. That's a great solution. This ProCut EM8090832 tweeter will definitely do the job that Anthony Whitesell wrote. Anyone who encounters a similar problem can take it to their tool arsenal.