Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cutting a curved rebate

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Results from googling James Pallas's "string cutter".
    Attachment 475253Attachment 475254
    Maurice, I believe James recommended using the curved fence for the Veritas router plane. I will post pictures. James told me about this in the past. I had my marking gauge for curves, however, and have not used the router plane.

router 1.jpgrouter 2.jpgrouter 3.jpg

Blog Entries
    A door lip router bit would be very un-romantic. Sort of like putting an Elephant in a blender.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Mark Rainey;3181515]Maurice, I believe James recommended using the curved fence for the Veritas router plane. I will post pictures. James told me about this in the past. I had my marking gauge for curves, however, and have not used the router plane.

router 1.jpgrouter 2.jpgrouter 3.jpg[/
    These tools are new to me.

Very nice! My stick with an X-acto blade does not feel too bad.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I wasn't aware of that fence, it might just work. Or a shop-made version of the fence or a cutting gauge that had two bearings or parallel half dowels to run along a the inside edge of the ellipse to guide the cut. -Howard

Howard, I posted this info on WC, but repeat it here for readers.

I am mindful that the elliptical frame will have grain issues. Some will run out, and this can create a problem if you attempted to plane with, say, a router plane.
    There are special curved rebate planes - for barrels - but barrels are made of staves, and this would eliminate run out. I think they are called a croze.

Guitar bodies use purfling cutters to prepare the circumference for inlay. I would try the same technique, cutting vertically, and then using a chisel to pare out the waste about 1-2mm deep at a time. A purfling cutter or cutting gauge (rotated 90 degrees and used against the side) could be used at the end to ensure the floor was level.

Another method: I have beaded on a curve, and this is not too different from rebating.

Again, start with a cutting gauge or purfling cutter to set the boundaries an ensure the grain does not tear. Then use a scratch stock to remove the waste, such as the LV cast iron scratch stock…

Here is a link to a review I wrote:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tchStock2.html

Having written this, a power router would be my tool of choice.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mark, found this looking around. I ordered one. If anyone is interested, I’ll let you know what I think when it arrives.

793BE578-39CA-44BE-97D5-D64B3500059D.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    This video of a Co Cavan cooper might be of interest
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcE8OTSZods

I love these. I don't often wear a sportcoat in the shop.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Mark, found this looking around. I ordered one. If anyone is interested, I’ll let you know what I think when it arrives.

793BE578-39CA-44BE-97D5-D64B3500059D.jpeg
    Good find Phil...I remain mystified why our favorite tool companies do not make this. Perhaps we are too quick to run to the electric routers when faced with a challenge. Howard, with or a similar tool your project will be fun. You can scribe the line with the point, or, as I did, use a pencil lead. Once the line is marked use carving gouges that follow the curve. Do not use a chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I love these. I don't often wear a sportcoat in the shop.

I’m also enjoying his sharpening technique 4 minutes into the video. I don’t think he has any 16000 grit stones in his shop.

Hands: County Cavan Cabinetmakers, Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx2y7MAys20

Blog Entries
    I am resisting going down the "Hands" rabbit hole until I get over realizing that I
    "couldn't make a nose bag for an ass".
    Interestingly we have several cooperages close by. White oak timber has been a premium commodity for locals for many years. The stave mills compete for the best logs. Just as Al Capones bootleg whiskey came from Missouri, many USA whiskey barrels come from Missouri.
    Best Regards, Maurice