Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blackstone flat top grill

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Google "Grill Top Griddle"...

Most of the ones I've seen are pretty small. Still looking, though. I thought someone might already have one they loved. I love the concept of cooking on a 65# cast iron one, but wouldn't love lifting it. Don't have space for that Blackstone.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

When I ran that search more than one at the top of the page seemed to be "grill size" in depth, etc.

I have the Grill Grates system on the gas side of my grill and keep two sections setup with the flat side up. It's not good for things like eggs because it does have perforations, but it's excellent for bacon, searing meat if you don't want grill marks, toasting buns, etc. I can flip them over to "grill" mode if I need to cook a bunch of that meat stuff for a larger group. It's a compromise from a solid griddle, but workable for me.

You might check with a local metal fabricator about getting a scrap of .25" sheet steel from their "scrap". Ease the edges with files/grinder and you should be able to season it like it was cast iron. Season both sides to help keep rust at bay (and store it carefully for the same reason) but keep the primary cooking surface constantly the top so it gets seasoned even more for a more non-stick surface.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Does anyone make a large cast iron plate to place on top of a gas grill. Looking for something full sized, not the griddle pan we have for the kitchen.

Not cast iron, but steel, same as the Blackstone. Cast iron would be too heavy. Google griddlemaster. They make custom sized griddles to fit your grill.

I just googled 'large steel griddle...

lsg.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I just googled 'large steel griddle...

lsg.jpg
    Ah. Needed to use the word "large". Who knew...
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

When I ran that search more than one at the top of the page seemed to be "grill size" in depth, etc.

I have the Grill Grates system on the gas side of my grill and keep two sections setup with the flat side up. It's not good for things like eggs because it does have perforations, but it's excellent for bacon, searing meat if you don't want grill marks, toasting buns, etc. I can flip them over to "grill" mode if I need to cook a bunch of that meat stuff for a larger group. It's a compromise from a solid griddle, but workable for me.

You might check with a local metal fabricator about getting a scrap of .25" sheet steel from their "scrap". Ease the edges with files/grinder and you should be able to season it like it was cast iron. Season both sides to help keep rust at bay (and store it carefully for the same reason) but keep the primary cooking surface constantly the top so it gets seasoned even more for a more non-stick surface.

Just added a Rectec to my arsenal and added a set of these grill grates to my gas grill for searing. They work amazingly well.

First cook was a failure on my part the Fillets were too thick and I should have gotten my internal up higher or maybe my sear was too short. I didnt realize until I sliced it all up. My wife through it in a cast iron frying pan. I just about cried watching 4) $30 Fillets frying.

I do want a griddle but might look into a top for the gas grill.

George, for steaks, fillets and even pork chops, I use Sous Vide to get the internal temperature even just below what I want it to be and the just do the sear on the grill. Steaks/fillets (which I like both thick) I do to about 121ºF in the bath and after a sear they are a perfect medium rare all the way through with a nice, tasty caramelization on the outside. And VERY juicy.
    --

Isnt that cheating?

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Isnt that cheating?
    Heck no! It's hard for mere mortals to get a piece of meat to perfect temperature all the way through with a great sear using other methods, at least with any kind of consistency. I used to do the sear and oven method. Sous Vide has been remarkably consistent in result. Honestly, I even use it for thick burgers so they are not "burnt and bleeding". I don't use Sous Vide for "thin" things, however.
    --

Heck no! It's hard for mere mortals to get a piece of meat to perfect temperature all the way through with a great sear using other methods, at least with any kind of consistency. I used to do the sear and oven method. Sous Vide has been remarkably consistent in result. Honestly, I even use it for thick burgers so they are not "burnt and bleeding". I don't use Sous Vide for "thin" things, however.
    +1. It's been a game changer. You would have to work hard to screw it up. It's why many, many restaurants cook their steaks that way. It eliminates diners sending their steaks back as they are over or undercooked.

Never tried it for burgers, though.

It's hard for people to get their heads around it when you initially explain the process to people. When you tell them it really doesn't matter if you cook a steak for 3 hours instead of 1 hour, they just don't get it.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 03-17-2022 at 6:44 PM.

Alan, I started doing the thicker burgers this way over a year ago just by chance and it really was a game changer! I pre-season them before they go in a vacuum bag and the freezer, too. (same with steaks/filets) So not only is the internal temperature what it needs to be and even at that, but the process lets the seasoning get into the meat. (many folks commonly don't season the meat until right before they put it in/on the heat and that means the flavor can be uneven and the salt, in particular, doesn't do its thing beyond the surface)
    --