Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackstone flat top grill

Blackstone flat top grill

Im on the fence about buying an outdoor flat top grill like a Blackstone.

Who has one and is it something you like so much you use it often or sorry you purchased one?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dave, We bought the 30" Blackstone griddle last year and use it often for smash burgers, stir fries, and breakfast things like bacon, eggs and pancakes. Works great for making naan, flour tortillas and other grill breads. It won't replace the barby, but supplements the outdoor cooking set up. I'd buy it again. Find The Hungry Hussey on Youtube for griddle things to try.

One of our manufacturing facilities (at least one) has a couple that they use for plant lunches. They've used them for burgers and multiple Mexican style foods, as well as for breakfasts. They work great. The guys over at the Big Green Egg grille forum really like them too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Look at used restaurant equipment. We've had a commercial one with two big burners on one side for decades. It doesn't have any kind of starting mechanism, but is easily lighted with a long lighter. The top is 65 pounds of cast iron. It cooks wonderfully, and I bought it for next to nothing soon after we were married in 1980.

FWIW, in my much-younger days I was a short order cook at many places, Denny's, Sambo's, Sizzler, and I appreciate a nice grill... The wife gave me a 30" Blackstone about 3 years ago. Haven't used it much, but not because I don't like it- hard to find time to do 'meaningful' cooking around here... But I love the thing, I wish she'd gotten me the 36"er....
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I have the 26 inch portable. Like others, when I use it, I really enjoy it. I bought it for the rv,since my portable grill rusted through over the years. It makes some tasty food.

I don't get it. just have a piece of metal plate sheared to fit at the metal yard. Why pay for another heating device?
    Bill D

I have a cast iron griddle (I think it is a Lodge) that I sometimes use over charcoal in a medium sized Weber. The South American guy with the Michelin Stars (it will come to me, his cookbook is Seven Fires) calls this a plancha. I am learning to use a plancha, and I am learning to do more things over open fire. Having a griddle running on propane or electric would be a ton more predictable, faster learning curve, but without the open fire flavor. Mallman. Francis Mallman.

I use my plancha for mushroom slices, and for empanadas. Empanadas are a ton of labor, but they are so so good. I am thinking a propane or natural gas fired plancha, where I would maybe toss an aluminum foil wrapped bundle of wood chips down with the fire to make a little smoke might be the best of both worlds, predictable temperature, reasonable warm up time, but still bring the open fire flavor.

I've toyed with the idea of an outdoor griddle but it's tempered by the limited amount of food I typically cook since it's primarily only two of us. I use the Grill Grates system on my grill already and the flat side works very nicely for bacon, warming buns, etc. If I wanted to do eggs and since I'm the only one who eats them in the house, my "outdoor" carbon steel pan on the side burner works great. (I have a CI pan that has a slightly warped bottom which is now inappropriate for induction inside, but great for outdoor cooking) But I really would consider an outdoor griddle like the one referenced in this thread under different circumstances.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've toyed with the idea of an outdoor griddle but it's tempered by the limited amount of food I typically cook since it's primarily only two of us. I use the Grill Grates system on my grill already and the flat side works very nicely for bacon, warming buns, etc. If I wanted to do eggs and since I'm the only one who eats them in the house, my "outdoor" carbon steel pan on the side burner works great. (I have a CI pan that has a slightly warped bottom which is now inappropriate for induction inside, but great for outdoor cooking) But I really would consider an outdoor griddle like the one referenced in this thread under different circumstances.
    First,this is a repeat of a post I did last week, which just disappeared into cyber space. Hit the reply button, and it disappeared. Don't have the room for a 36" Blackstone. Bought a "Little Suzzie" that I use on my old (1984) Kenmore gas grill. Because of the way burner is made, it's hard to have more than one heat setting over the cooking surface. Use my "Little Suzzie" regularly, burgers, bacon, eggs, steaks, chops, Italian sausage, with peppers and onions. With it, I can do a pound of sausage patties at one time, plus house doesn't smell. Recently (within last six months) rescued a Weber Spirit grill at dumpsters. Needed new burner covers and lighter. Other than these two items, it was in new condition. Both items cost me less than $35, which isn't bad for a grill that currently sells for $600+. Have an older Nexgrill/ Charbroil/Grill Master (same grill, sold under different names) that I want to make a griddle for. Having four burners would make it easier to regulate the heat. Local Metals Super Market quoted me right at $100 to cut and bend a griddle for me. I would have to weld up sides, and stiffeners on the bottom. It's one of those "one day" projects. I second watching "Hungry Hussey's" videos

Bruce, that's a really nice idea to repurpose an old, smaller grill and make a griddle out of it!
    --

Thanks everyone for the advice.
    Blackstone.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Just like mine --you'll love it!

Just need to pick up one more thing

bst.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Does anyone make a large cast iron plate to place on top of a gas grill. Looking for something full sized, not the griddle pan we have for the kitchen.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Does anyone make a large cast iron plate to place on top of a gas grill. Looking for something full sized, not the griddle pan we have for the kitchen.
    Google "Grill Top Griddle"...
    --