Thread: Replacement 6x48 belt for belt sander

Question Replacement 6x48 belt for belt sander

I need to replace the 6x48" belt on my belt sander. I normally just your standard aluminum oxide belt. Are there any belts on the market that are significantly better?

'

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Goldthwaite View Post
    I need to replace the 6x48" belt on my belt sander. I normally just your standard aluminum oxide belt. Are there any belts on the market that are significantly better?

'
    Contact Klingspor (Klingspor's Wood Working Shop) as they are both retailer and manufacturer of belts.

When my father's lifetime supply of belts finally wears out (he worked at 3M), I will probably order new ones from Klingspor. The ones I got for my 6x89 have worked well, as have the ones for my drum sander.

The 3M ones are quite good as well; I think the ones he had were industrial 2nds from the company store. I might look for some of those as well. I don't use the 4x48 sander as much as I used to after getting the 6x89, so what I have will last quite a while.

For woodworking I find the zirconia grit belts longer lasting than the AO ones. 6X48 belts in zirconia, ceramic or AO can be bought from Maverick Abrasives in California.

I also have had good luck with Klingspor.

Shopsmith® ceramic sanding belts available at Lowe's work very well.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shopsmith-6...dpaper/3456210
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Do not stock up and buy too many. over the years the glue will fail even just sitting on a shelf.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Do not stock up and buy too many. over the years the glue will fail even just sitting on a shelf.
    Bill D
    Yep. But a scientist told me we’re only a few years away from a good glue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    I think that is more of an issue with belts for hand held sanders where the belt goes over a narrow roller. The one my 6x48 sander is probably 10 years old, possibly more.

That said, there probably is no need to buy by the dozen unless you are a production shop.

Yep. But a scientist told me we’re only a few years away from a good glue.
    And we are 50 years from fusion power, and always will be.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-14-2022 at 11:48 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging