Thread: DeWalt 616 vs 618 dimensions

DeWalt 616 vs 618 dimensions

Hi All,

I'm sure someone out there is far more versed in DeWalt stuff than I am.

I have one of the DeWalt routers, I thought it was 1 3/4hp (616) but as I was looking for a model number I realize it could be the 2 1/4 (618). The reason I'm interested is that I'm in my office and don't have the router here, but I was looking to buy a hard case for the router and plunge base (mine came with the bag). Does anyone know if these two cases are interchangeable, or are they model specific? I'll just buy one on ebay if they're interchangeable, but if they're not I'll hold off until I can check the model number tonight.

Thanks!

I am not 100% certain, but I think they were interchangeable. I had a hard case not sure if I sold it, never used it, but if I come across it I will let you know as it might be available. I think they switched to the bag at some point. I think the only difference between the 2 units was the motor itself. I will say this, I remember that the case was rather large (unless they've changed it) so it would totally depend on your needs as to whether or not that was desirable.

Good to know re. the size. Maybe I'll stick with the bag and see if I can make it work. I'll check the specs and dimensions on the website for the case. Thanks!

Just got off a Zoom call, so I could run out to the shop and take a look.
    To my eye the 616 and 618 are pretty much the same size.

I have had the 616 for several years and just bought a 618 kit so I would have an extra plunge base (so I don't have to remove the other base from my FMT) (I also thought the D handle might be nice to have)

The motors look the same size to me. In the pictures the 618 is all the way down (as shipped, since I haven't had a chance to use it yet), and the 616 is at whatever random last height I used it at (taller than the 618) (the height above where it clips to the adjustment ring is the same 2.5 inches on both motors.

616 and 618 side view.jpg616 and 618 top view.jpg

Since you were interested in cases

Here is the 618 in it's case
    618 in 618 case.jpg

The 616 in the 618 case (I did not adjust the height or take off the power cord. The 616 normally lives on a shelf near my workbench)
    616 in 618 case.jpg

Here is the 616 in the 616 case
    616 in 616 case.jpg

And the 618 in the 616 case (with the 616 in the space for the other bases)
    I618 in 616 case.jpg

John

Isn't the DW616 just 11 amps single speed, but the same physical size as the variable speed 12 amp DW618?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow, this was super helpful! Thank you!