Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting in the market for a milling machine and metal lathe

FYI, SMC actually does have a metalworking sub forum...

https://sawmillcreek.org/forumdispla...9-Metalworking

Once I have my new shop building up, I'm tinkering with the idea of adding some basic metalworking myself.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Offutt View Post
    Do yourself a favor and skip the mini-mills. While many people have them if you've ever used a Bridgeport type you probably will be disappointed. They lack the rigidity and mass to be productive.

You can easily bring a full size Bridgeport or similar clone through a 36" walk door. As shown in the pictures above you can get it in. But if needed you can also remove the long table in less than ten minutes. You need two guys or a small cherry picker or hoist. And as shown the head rotates easily to clear the height.

Actually you can break a bridgeport down into the major components easily. Once done the heaviest piece is the base.

Don't let the 3-phase motors turn you off. You can buy a VFD for not much money, probably less than a phase converter. And the VFD gives you variable speed, instant reversing, slow start and dynamic braking.

As far as the R8 spindle and tooling you're on the right track. 30 or 40 taper spindles are also good but less common. For your drill chuck you will buy a R8 to Jacobs taper adapter. These are common so they're inexpensive and easy to find.
    I'm not worried about the 3 phase as long as it is 220V 3ph. My drill press is 240V 3ph running off of 220V 1ph and a VFD.

Based on the research I have been doing since the info provided here on spec'ing machines, I see three different levels of machines. The little mill/drills (like G0758), the mid size (like G0755), and the full size (G0796).

The little machines listed as mill/drill are out. I think something like the G0759/760/755 will fit nicely. I don't think the G0796 would fit (84" height).

P.S. I noticed the ceiling may be 84" tall, but the doorway is only 6'-8" tall (80").

They are indeed top heavy. Ive had the misfortune of having moved my Enco (Bridgeport clone knockoff) at least three times. Ive turned the head upside-down and then run the table up to snug things up (block of wood between the head and table). as mentioned,...shouldn't be be too much trouble moving it through a 3-0 door

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I bought a mill and metal turning lathe from the Little Machine Shop and they have been great. They also have everything you will need and more. I don't think the collet type makes too much difference. Mine uses R8.
    Not that I am interested in buying new, but LMS is out of stock on all machines (or were the last time I looked).

Blog Entries
    Little Machine Shop may be out of stock on mills, but does have a good selection of lathes in stock.

Howard Garner

FYI A bridgeport breaks down into several 200 pound pieces with the main base being about 400-600 pounds without the knee. Head, arm, turret, table, knee.
    Rather then r8 consider NT-30 spindle taper. bigger stronger, more expensive new. But they may be cheaper used since no home shop demand to drive up prices.
    BillD.

For a lathe or mill expect to spend as much as the purchase price on tooling and work holding stuff. That does not include metrology stuff.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-05-2022 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    For a lathe or mill expect to spend as much as the purchase price on tooling and work holding stuff. That does not include metrology stuff.
    That was my thought already on the tooling. I have a lot of metrology stuff already.

If you go the insert type tooling look into just a few same size inserts that are cheap to buy and stock. Some makes are only made by one company and they can charge as much as they want. For general work I like the round inserts. In theory they have a infinite number of new cutting edges as you rotate them to expose a fresh edge. Certainly more then 3 or 4 edges.
    BillD

I have a South Bend 13" lathe, it is a BIG step up from the 12" Craftsman lathe I used to have. It does everything I need it to do.

I have an Enco mill that I am quite pleased with. It was in excellent shape when I bought it (still is in excellent shape). I looked at many Bridgeport mills that had obvious signs of severe wear that even a novice like me could spot. I would have preferred an US made mill but I figured a Taiwanese mill in good shape was better than an US mill in poor shape (for me at least).

R8 collets are pretty standard for the Bridgeport class machines and under. It is what would recommend going with. Tooling is plentiful and easy to find.

You probably already know that the machines are the cheap part and the tooling is what gets expensive!

I find the following forum very helpful. A good group of hobbyist guys. Much more friendly than the Practical sight and much more helpful too. (A lot like the people on this forum!)
    https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/
    There is a big Precision Mathews following on that board... too pricey for me though!... I buy most everything used.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 03-06-2022 at 5:34 AM.

Think carefully before investing in carbide tooling. Unless you lathe weighs over 2000 pounds it probably is too light weight and under powered to make good use of carbide speeds. That said it is nice to not have to sharpen stuff and learn that as well.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Think carefully before investing in carbide tooling. Unless you lathe weighs over 2000 pounds it probably is too light weight and under powered to make good use of carbide speeds. That said it is nice to not have to sharpen stuff and learn that as well.
    Bill D
    Never heard that. I have a small lathe and mill and the carbide insert tools work fine. I do take shallow cuts if that makes a difference.

I agree with John. My 11 inch Logan weighs about 800 pounds and I mostly use carbide insert tooling. I've taken .040" cuts in mild steel no problem.

I have heard that if the cooled chips are not blue or purple you are not pushing hard enough. I do like it because I can avoid the mess of cutting oil.
    Bill D

What are the thoughts and consensus on the Little Machine Shop milling machines?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    What are the thoughts and consensus on the Little Machine Shop milling machines?
    As mentioned earlier in this thread I bought both a lathe and mill from them. I’ve also bought a fairly comprehensive set of accessories and tooling. Pleased with the price, the machines and the company. The mill is precise and accurate, nice controls.

Note that you can buy machines that look nearly identical from other sellers but be careful about quality. LMS claims they buy machines built to their own specs - a friend bought a cheaper lathe from another company and said it required complete disassembly to remove burrs and such before everything worked smoothly - those I got were much better quality.

Those are my thoughts. Don’t know about getting a consensus.