Thread: benchtop jointers,,

benchtop jointers,,

i am seriously considering getting a benchtop jointer,,,actually i had rather have the full size with spiral cutterhead but needless to say they are so much more expensive,,,,and reguardless if it is a benchtop or floor model most is 6 inches,,,,and i have heard that all benchtop models are junk,,save your money and get a full size one,,,although the benchtop has a more appealing price,,,i just didnt want to be sorry for buying it over the floor model,,,any thoughts would be appreciated,,,,thank you

For small work, a benchtop like the Rikon or Triton can work ok if there is a space and budget issue...and you require new. But if you have the space, try to find a used jointer. They are not complicated machines and the extra mass (and induction motor) that a floor standing machine brings is worth it in the end, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What Jim said. I started with a Delta 37-196 six inch floor model. It was the last machine that I upgraded to something bigger. I used that jointer for more than 10 years jointing stuff to 10' long with supports. It did about 75% of what I need to this day. Six inch jointers are usually quite plentiful on the used market.

I have the 6" Wahuda jointer and it works fine for what it is. Since most of the projects I make are smaller, the benchtop jointer works fine for the small/short stock that I normally use. If I had the space I would have bought a floor model, my jointer sits on a flip cart with my Dewalt 735 planer. Also I probably paid as much or more for my new bechtop jointer as I would have spent on a good used floor model.

I suffer from a small shop. I had a 6" Craftsman that looks like a heavy benchtop but was on a stand. It worked great but when I figured out how to use a jointer plane combined with the limited 6" when face jointing boards, I sold it. I haven't looked back and love the extra space. Becoming a hand tool geek helps too, still learning. At least my arms are getting bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave VanDewerker View Post
    I have the 6" Wahuda jointer and it works fine for what it is. Since most of the projects I make are smaller, the benchtop jointer works fine for the small/short stock that I normally use. If I had the space I would have bought a floor model, my jointer sits on a flip cart with my Dewalt 735 planer. Also I probably paid as much or more for my new bechtop jointer as I would have spent on a good used floor model.
    My advice is peruse the classifieds for a used 6" stationary jointer - if you have the space. They come up fairly often at good prices.

At the same time, when i first started out I had a Ryobi benchtop jointer. By the standards of this group - junk. But it worked quite well for my needs at the time and I built many projects using it.

And now I have a combination machine - I have considered more than once to add a benchtop to avoid the need of switching out the machine all the time. Many times I just want a light pass on an edge of a relatively short piece. Many of the benchtop jointers are quite capable of this. (I am a hobbiest so do not batch my work)

The length of the bed is what matters. Some say you can joint 2x the bed length. Most benchtop models have pretty short beds limiting you to short boards. (of course the cutter width matter too.)

I went down this road late last summer. I am limited to 110VAC in my current shop, so max six inch floor stander. I was very tempted by one of the benchtop jointers, but digging a little deeper into the reviews, not so much for the work I do.

Bed length is a factor, I am not a ukulele maker. Weight to help the fool thing hold still, also a factor.

I ended up with a used ShopFox floor standing machine ( 6"/ 110 volts) for about $400 from facebook marketplace.

Also, the floor standing machines will hold their value better, or at least have in the past. Overall, if I become unhappy with the jointer I bought I am going to need to go to 220vac but I should be able to get most of my purchase price back out of this machine.

Most of us started with stuff that we have replaced as time went on. I have bought and sold more stuff than I remember. Scott is right about getting your money back when buying and selling used stuff. I sold a lot of machines for more than I paid for them. When you have bigger needs than cash available then you learn how to stretch it. My suggestion to the OP to buy a used 6'' is based on that being a better first jointer at less overall cost.

Anyone who would have watched this afternoon using my Wen JT833H 10 amp 8 inch spiral benchtop jointer would be quite impressed - milled a 2 1/8" sawmill rough sawn Red Oak on it, it works very excellent - I have put it to the test with several of these Red oak rough sawn boards & it has handled with no problems. Highly recommend it, very pleased at results -great value at $429 on Wen website.

I’d hold out for a floor standing model. A 6” floor model will be much less frustrating than a bench top model. Width is not as big a deal as length. It’s painful to flatten long boards when the beds are too short. You will end up rigging outfeed support. You will pay in effort what you save in money.

Even a modest size coffee table top will be at the limit of what these models can joint easily.

Blog Entries
    These old Delta's are popular enough that helical carbide cutter heads are available. This is super handy and portable. It is not a replacement for a full size jointer.

IMG_0383.jpg IMG_0385.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Check out the Cutech jointers. I used one for years before I upgraded.

Very nice quality, easy to use, small footprint. Good price point.

However, the extension arms aren’t really that great, but that’s true for all the bench tops. I get good results up to 36 inch boards.