Thread: Buyer beware- too good of a deal to be true

Blog Entries

Buyer beware- too good of a deal to be true

I wanted to get a knife grinding belt sander, so I googled it, and wow- I didn’t know Grizzly sold one for $51. I went to Grizzly’s site, and they don’t. It’s $795. There are multiple sketchy websites offering it for $51 on Google ads. Fortunately, I knew better, but I could certainly see someone not knowing better.

3DD9AA1E-76B5-4F92-88C8-29717FD61063.jpg

The real price at Grizzly $796
    Attached Images Attached Images

Funny thing, I googled A Dewalt 20v oscillating tool today. All within $10 except 2 offering it for 1/3 the price. I looked expecting to see rebuilt or remanufactured but didn’t. Too good to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I wanted to get a knife grinding belt sander, so I googled it, and wow- I didn’t know Grizzly sold one for $51. I went to Grizzly’s site, and they don’t. It’s $795. There are multiple sketchy websites offering it for $51 on Google ads. Fortunately, I knew better, but I could certainly see someone not knowing better.

3DD9AA1E-76B5-4F92-88C8-29717FD61063.jpg

The real price at Grizzly $796

Many you tubes showing how to build one. Look here, in both shop made tools and metal working forums for some ideas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Many you tubes showing how to build one. Look here, in both shop made tools and metal working forums for some ideas
    Yes, I’ve considered that, and actually that’s why I was looking- cost analysis purposes. If it’s only going to be another $100 or so to buy one, I’ll just buy one. Seems these things are a whole lot more expensive than I had imagined. I say this admittedly without knowing details, but I’m just saying I expected to be able to get one for around $350 and I was very wrong.

Malcolm, are you looking to use one to make knives, or to just re-sharpen? I have a WorkSharp Ken Onion Edition that does a nice job sharpening. They have several different models that may fit your needs.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Malcolm, are you looking to use one to make knives, or to just re-sharpen? I have a WorkSharp Ken Onion Edition that does a nice job sharpening. They have several different models that may fit your needs.
    I have a Worksharp, but I'm looking for a belt sander to fix badly abused knives. (I sharpen for people, and you'd be amazed how poorly professional chefs treat their knives.) The Worksharp works, but I really want something bigger that takes more metal off at a time.

The scumbag scammers do that for just about everything. The try to sell $1000 RC cars for $75, and you receive a matchbox car. Sad they even are allowed ad space.

What is their scam? do they just want your credit card info or what.
    Bill D

They take your money and either send you something way less expensive or don’t send you anything.

Blog Entries
    When my dad was in high school around 1928, one of his friends brought an ad to biology class. It claimed to be bug killer 100% effective. The students pooled their money and sent in an order. What they got was two blocks of wood and some instructions, “Place bug on block A and strike sharply with block B.”

Beware of ALL excellent prices on used tools, new tools, heavy equipment, etc. This is how the feeble minded criminal groups steal your phone number & email address = all those fake emails and fake phone calls come mainly from some ad you answered. You can go on Craigslist right now and find fake ads for Bobcat machines & woodworking machines, trucks, cars etc. Most fake ads will not have a local phone number or real email. Create a new email address just for shopping and you will soon be bombarded with fake nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roock View Post
    Beware of ALL excellent prices on used tools, new tools, heavy equipment, etc. This is how the feeble minded criminal groups steal your phone number & email address = all those fake emails and fake phone calls come mainly from some ad you answered. You can go on Craigslist right now and find fake ads for Bobcat machines & woodworking machines, trucks, cars etc. Most fake ads will not have a local phone number or real email. Create a new email address just for shopping and you will soon be bombarded with fake nonsense.
    Any ad like that with a phone number or web address pasted into the actual photo is a scam.

Have to laugh at this one, since you could beat me to a bloody pulp and I STILL wouldn't have McAfee on any of my computers...

mcscam.jpg

No links in the email tho, just call to cancel... >cough<
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle