Thread: plunge routers

plunge routers

Looks like I am going to have to replace my perfectly good plunge routers. I use them for dove tails and other type hand held work. I have a dedicated router table for other work.

Min HP I should get and brand recommendations welcome. promise I will purchase extra collets when I buy this time.

Brian
    Brian

I like the Bosch Micro Adjust, pick your size you like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Looks like I am going to have to replace my perfectly good plunge routers. I use them for dove tails and other type hand held work. I have a dedicated router table for other work.

Min HP I should get and brand recommendations welcome. promise I will purchase extra collets when I buy this time.

Brian
    If you are looking for a router for handheld operation, I think power is not a major issue as you will not use big bits, at last will not use them for at a single pass.

I always had plunge router as my primary router, just occasionally I will use a fixed base - actually for a couple of decades I had only plunge.

I have two plunge bases, one for my small 1 1/4 HP Makita series rt0701 and one for my 1600W Bosch GFF1600CE (MR23 series in the US). Both are great and I am glad to use both of them. Although I prefer Bosch, Makita offers a smoother operation.

I have different collets for them as I have different shank bits. For Makita I have OEM 6 mm, 1/4 in, 8 mm and from third part 1/8 in. For Bosch I have OEM 6 mm, 1/4 in, 12 mm and 1/2 in and a sleeve from 8 mm to 12 mm. Except for the Makita 1/8 in and the sleeve from 8 mm to 12 mm I use in the Bosch router, all collets came together with the router when purchased. Although I have router bits in all those shank sizes, my most used one is 8 mm. The second most used is 1/2 in mostly in my router table.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Honestly, for dovetails, I prefer a fixed base router...lower center of gravity and really easy to micro adjust. Maybe consider one of the multi-base kits so you have flexibility. These are generally 12 amp, mid-range power routers and able to to the bulk of what most folks use routers for outside of a table. Pick your color/brand. Mine is a DeWalt 618 kit with all three bases. I only really use it with the fixed base at this point because I have some plunge routers from Festool...it was purchased prior to the latter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim; a fixed base model is better for work with dovetails jigs, etc. Bosch, Dewalt, take your pick of the mid-sized offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Honestly, for dovetails, I prefer a fixed base router...lower center of gravity and really easy to micro adjust. Maybe consider one of the multi-base kits so you have flexibility. These are generally 12 amp, mid-range power routers and able to to the bulk of what most folks use routers for outside of a table. Pick your color/brand. Mine is a DeWalt 618 kit with all three bases. I only really use it with the fixed base at this point because I have some plunge routers from Festool...it was purchased prior to the latter.

Jim, so like a dw618 unit for just the fixed router? thanks. brian
    Brian

If I was to buy a new plunge router it would be a DeWalt DW621. This router was originally made by Elu and is a nice size plus it has built in dust extraction capability.

I have a couple old PC 690 routers and half a dozen bases for them including a plunge base. They work great so I have resisted the temptation to buy another router. I also have a big PC in my router table and a little Bosch colt. I prefer a fixed base for dovetails and other hand held work where the limited depth adjustment is not an issue. I use the plunge base when I need the greater depth capability (Like using a straight bit to make dados) or to make mortises. I don't really do that latter any more since I have a domino.

Yes, you could buy the "fixed base only" version, but I think that the three base kits are the best value, even if you don't use all the bases frequently. There are "those jobs" where the D-handle (still fixed base) is more comfortable, such as for some edging operations and there are some tasks when an extra plunge router is handy. I mentioned DeWalt and I'm very happy with mine...owned it for years now...but Bosch, Makita, etc., all have similar 12 amp routers if you have a brand preference or there is a price advantage due to a promotion or sale.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Dewalt DW618 router kit (with fixed and plunge bases). It is a very nice router but it is bigger than I would want to use for dovetails. I prefer a smaller more maneuverable router for jobs like dovetails... and routing in general. 2 1/4hp is overkill for the majority of the routing jobs I do. Sometimes the extra hp is needed and the DW618 is great for bigger bits but it does not get as much use as my smaller routers. I have very rarely used the 618 in the plunge base. Sometimes you need a plunge router for the job at hand but the majority of the time I greatly prefer a fixed base. I personally prefer the D handle DW618 base to the two handle fixed base.

I also have several PorterCable 690 routers and love them. The PC 690's, interestingly, use the same collets as the Dewalt DW618.

I have my fathers 3/4hp Stanley router from the 60's and have picked up several other identical units since. I LOVE these routers, I can easily handle them one handed allowing me to use them in inconvenient spots and switch hands while routing when I need to move along a long work piece. I would seriously consider a trim router for general round over work and dove tails.

I use a PorterCable 7518 3.5hp router in my router table but I usually use a shaper for most table type work.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 03-04-2022 at 1:00 PM.

I may be off base, but reading between the lines ………………you need a collet ?

Try Elaire - if they don’t have it , they’ll make it.

https://elairecorp.com/routercollets.html

eBay is also a good resource for out of date , discontinued & hard to find tools/parts.