Thread: Art gallery finish?

Art gallery finish?

I'm working with an artist to fabricate a sculpture consisting of intersecting panels of various hardwoods. I've included a maquette below for reference. I'd like the finish to be lustrous but without being in any way shiny. Wood species will run the gamut, although mostly the softer ones... walnut, cherry, maple, teak, birch, etc. Any recommendations on process or finishes?

Thanks!

2022-03-03 10.53.52.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Crimmins
    -------------------
    OLT CNC - 64amp Plasma
    Shenhui CNC - 80 watt Co2 (Up From the Ashes)

Rubio Monocoat or Osmo Polyex might be worthy of consideration based on your requirements.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    If your maquette (had to google that) is full size you might try Watco Butcher Block Oil. It is easy to rub on and you can build or reduce sheen with the rubbing technique. It creates a golden amber hue on light woods.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-03-2022 at 7:28 PM. Reason: caps
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Rubio Monocoat or Osmo Polyex might be worthy of consideration based on your requirements.
    Thanks, Jim, I will try these out.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    If your maquette (had to google that) is full size you might try Watco Butcher Block Oil. It is easy to rub on and you can build or reduce sheen with the rubbing technique. It creates a golden amber hue on light woods.
    I like the idea of an oil. The sculptures will be a little larger than the maquette but under 3' tall... so not a ton of surface area. I will experiment. Glad you learned a new word of the day. :-)
    Bob Crimmins
    -------------------
    OLT CNC - 64amp Plasma
    Shenhui CNC - 80 watt Co2 (Up From the Ashes)