Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need help writing clever ad copy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Right before you harvest the lint, dry a fuzzy sweater to give it a touch of color!
    and thus Designer Lint was first created
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Gluten free, not tested on animals, vegan. Guaranteed not to rust, bust, boil, spoil or split at the seams.

Blog Entries
    Dave, this is genius. I’m pretty far down the bag-o-lint path but I may work this again.

Made from missing socks
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

specially treated with dihydrogen oxide. Zero carbon footprint.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Many thanks to all that helped.

I led with Johns Haute Coutre paragraph. Then I put in some of my own bullet points. The big finish was Dave’s limerick.

I struggled with getting enough bidders until I learned about Plus Addressing. This allows you to add text to your email address. For example, if your address is A@B.com, you can add a plus and some text to make A+DEF@B.com. The system will strip off the plus and you will receive as normal. The recipient field will show the extra text. Adding the plus and text allowed me to set up about a dozen bidding accounts that were totally under my control.

This may be confirmational bias but I think that there was more overbidding than in past years. I wonder if I normalized moderate overbidding by extreme overbidding.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 03-14-2022 at 10:15 AM.

What did it sell for?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    What did it sell for?
    $120.
    The selling price was predetermined inasmuch as all eleven bidders were actually me.

I divided into three acts:
    Act one. These were local sounding screen names that could plausibly be friends and relatives. They ebbed and flowed and got the price up to about $35.

Act two. Collectors learned about the auction and left the locals in the dust. They ran it up to about $80.

Act three: A broker in NY and a US based museum chimed in and then a Paris based museum started bidding. In the end a museum in London acquired the piece.

bidding could have been easier. I had to keep track of what the bid was because I had to log out of the auction site and log back in as a different bidder. I did that a LOT. But, for all the tedium, it was still better than marshaling eleven people. I suppose I could have created eleven email accounts. What I did was the least obnoxious.

A nice donation. Like you said earlier, maybe it will start something.

I like the silliness of it.

Maybe it evolves into 'Lint From Around The World'.