Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help writing clever ad copy

Blog Entries

I need help writing clever ad copy

My grandsons preschool silent auction fundraiser is in a couple of weeks. Most people use these auctions like Black Friday. They are on a hunt for bargains. I take exactly the opposite tack. I view it as an opportunity to donate. My strategy is to find something that I would like to have in the $20 range and grossly over-bid. That has generally been a certificate to the local ice cream shop. Yes, I could just write a check but I’m trying to get other people to over-bid too.

This year, I want to take my strategy to the extreme. I’m pressing the auction folks to put some dryer lint in a ziplock and have the kids sign it. I plan to bid somewhere between $50 and $100. I will probably be the only bidder but I would love to see some competition. Maybe, with the right descriptive text, I could lure in another bidder or two.

Some ideas
    1. You won’t have some nick-knack that you may or may not want. This item removes all doubt. You don’t want it.
    2. It’s convenient. Since you have no use for it, you won’t have to come up with a use for it. There’s no gift card to cart around or remember.
    3. Timeless. This item will fit into any decor. Inasmuch as it has no style, it will never go out of style.
    Some of the cleverest writing I’ve ever seen comes from this forum. I need hyperbole, false claims.

Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-03-2022 at 2:17 PM. Reason: Defaulted text size so it's readable on large monitors.

1. Official "Build A Nest" (trademark pending) material for building your own birds nest.

2. Stuffing for your pet hamster's pillow.

I'll think on it during the day...

-Tom

Unique, Priceless and Premium are all concepts that could also be applied. Anything is Premium nowadays, you just have to say so.

How to instructions on how to start a camp fire. You pay for a starter pack and with knowledge gained from instructions you can now start to build your very own collection of exotic fire starters. No 2 packs are ever alike.

Blog Entries
    Sadly, this has to be G rated. One of my thoughts was a treatment for hemorrhoids and leave the how to peoples imagination. But other quack cures are welcome.

Sam, if I go down the fire starter route, I would be implying that there is a use for dryer lint. I don’t want anyone to even entertain the thought that dryer lint has value.

The ultimate in Haute Coutre, we present the deconstructed garment. So Avant garde, the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture scoffs it is too high brow for us. Forget "form following function" this is the ultimate embodiment of fashion where form has no function! Rare! signed by the next generation of fashion icons.

John
    Last edited by John Stankus; 03-03-2022 at 10:37 AM. Reason: forgot about the famous signatures!

Belly button refills. Don't leave home with a lintless bellybutton! (superglue available for an extra charge for outies)

Picture of a cute puppy with a pistol to its head. "Please bid, or I shoot the puppy."
    Regards,

Tom

Don't forget it's 'official' ... as in official lint (or deconstructed garment) of .... the NFL? WWE? V.Putin's belly button? Seal Team 6?

'Sanctioned' too. Or, 'collector grade'. Display case available.

Time saving - no need to endlessly clean your dryer, or non-famous neighbor's belly.

Maybe sawdust as IKEA-esque Krenovian chest-on-stand - some assembly required. Glue included. No instructions, but can be completed in average of 39 years. (Of course you include a stunning picture of what the finished product looks like.)
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-03-2022 at 11:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    I love where this is going! I’m kind of leaning into Johns Haute Couture for a lead paragraph. It dovetails nicely with an idea I had to provide a certificate authenticity.

Natural, Organic, hypoallergenic, billet, upgraded, digital, hyper, works with I-phones, low carbon footprint, saves gas, proven to stop covid, reduces visible signs of aging, aids hair growth. excellent for applying lotion to the skin. impress friends and family, trend setting. Not available in stores. Just like the kind in fancy hotels and Hollywood costume departments. Similar to Rolls Royce and Tesla seat padding. low carbs high fiber, unbalanced nutrition. verified by independent lab studies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Picture of a cute puppy with a pistol to its head. "Please bid, or I shoot the puppy."
    Oddly, that has been done and done well.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_Toby

Made in the USA (with gobal materials)
    Hand Selected Materials (I used my hand to pick the laundry out of the basket)
    Limited edition
    (cause we're never gonna have the same combination of clothes in the dryer again)
    Like a pet rock but softer and warmer
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I’m pressing the auction folks to put some dryer lint in a ziplock and have the kids sign it.
    I would bypass asking permission. I would take a perfect pad of dryer lint gently peeled off the screen, carefully mount it in a picture frame (that you made?) under glass without squeezing it (spray mount?) and have the kids sign the frame with a fine point sharpie.

Inside, next to or under, maybe something like this:

There once was a dryer with lint.
    Where, I can’t give you a hint.
    Signed by the kids,
    You know that it is,
    Bound to be worth a mint!

Right before you harvest the lint, dry a fuzzy sweater to give it a touch of color!

Contents:
    A unique, one-of-a-kind collection of short, fine fibers that have been mechanically separated from the original surface of various cloths and yarn, accrued during the process of decontaminating and disinfecting fine linens using 'flood style' treatments consisting of a patented mixture of specialized soluable surfactants in conjunction with a proprietary mixture of hydrogen and oxygen, subsequently subjected to a process of rapid deconstruction of the hydrogen/oxygen mixture via a combination of rotational collision forces and high-pressure thermal bombardment, resulting in the bonds of the hydrogen and oxygen molecules breaking free from the fabrics and of each other, ultimately atomically disintegrating in a harmless vaporized state, at which point the fibers are carefully collected by a microscreen filtering system. NO TWO ARE ALIKE!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle