Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some electrical code answers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    While non-ducted range hoods won't keep the steam vapor from cooking from recirculating back into the kitchen, their screens WILL capture the grease and oils within the steam...
    Only a fraction will be captured.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    How is a plug in range hood allowed by NEC? I thought plug in were temporary. You cannot have a permeant extension cord setup can you. I suppose the bath vent fans are allowed since the plug is inside the junction box and not exposed. Also being in the ceiling it is not exposed to traffic wear and tear.
    Bill D
    It's no different than an over-range microwave/fan combination, Bill. Those all require a plug-in receptacle in the cabinet above, too. Range hoods that are designed as direct replacements come the same way...the Hauslane unit I just installed (which is excellent) was specified that way. There's no "extension cord"...the outlet is required to be within a certain area. I did need to take the cabinet down to create the pathways for the venting, but otherwise, nothing changed with the switch from the (undesirable) over range microwave/fan (unvented) to the new hood (vented) electrically.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    How thick is a plaster over lathe wall? Those remodeling outlets might go deep enough..
    My old house, 1949, was 1/2" button board with 1/2" hard coat plaster on top of that. I would say plaster and lath would be the same or thicker total.
    The old work boxes almost work with the button board walls. I got good at mounting them next to a stud with screws from the inside of the box. I used. a Aro pancake drill to drill pilot holes and a pnumatic ratchet to drive hex head roofing screws.
    Bill D

You guys realize OP has already finished this, right?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    The vent vs vent free hood debate is interesting. Wood lath and plaster is 3/4 inch thick. I have seen it as thin as 1/2" and as thick as 1"
    Best Regards, Maurice