Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

Jim. Glad your starting to make some progress on the new shop. To bad you can’t get RR Buildings to build it. If I was planning a shop I would try to follow there methodology as best as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Jim. Glad your starting to make some progress on the new shop. To bad you can’t get RR Buildings to build it. If I was planning a shop I would try to follow there methodology as best as possible.
    Yea, it would be a dream to have Kyle and his sidekick Greg build here, but aside from doing Diresta's "cathedral", they don't operate outside of their general area and for good reason. I don't think I could afford them, either. LOL That said, I've learned a huge amount from their work and have had some short chats with him on socials. I'm very certain my building will not be quite up to their standards, but I will also not be an uninformed consumer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, it would be a dream to have Kyle and his sidekick Greg build here, but aside from doing Diresta's "cathedral", they don't operate outside of their general area and for good reason. I don't think I could afford them, either. LOL That said, I've learned a huge amount from their work and have had some short chats with him on socials. I'm very certain my building will not be quite up to their standards, but I will also not be an uninformed consumer.
    RR is a very good channel. Anyone contemplating a build should binge watch a bunch of his stuff. Things are presented in a manner that is easy to understand & he shows how something should be built right. I don't dare watch the Diresta project because I will want it, but I can't afford it and if I could I have nowhere to put it.

Jim, your build will be providing me with much vicarious enjoyment. But without any of the work

Frank, if you're scared of Diresta's post frame "cathedral", you should be more scared of his wife's timber frame equestrian barn that also went up not long ago. Oh the drool I had to clean off the desk...
    --

Blog Entries
    Frank, if you're scared of Diresta's post frame "cathedral", you should be more scared of his wife's timber frame equestrian barn that also went up not long ago. Oh the drool I had to clean off the desk...
    I'm afraid to even go there. My Son & DIL are seriously into horses. They have a riding arena that's just an engineered steel building and it costs well over a million to build. Horse people are nothing if not dedicated (to burning through the cash)

Agree, that unless you are a Diresta type, he won’t be coming out to build. The good thing is that you can become very informed about Post Frame watching his channel, almost to the point of doing it yourself.

I watched the timber frame horse barn and it was definitely drool worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I'm afraid to even go there. My Son & DIL are seriously into horses. They have a riding arena that's just an engineered steel building and it costs well over a million to build. Horse people are nothing if not dedicated (to burning through the cash)
    Folks think that horse owners are rich people...that's impossible because the horses eat money. Trust me on that...I've been five years horse-free now, brother. Can I get an amen? (that said...I miss them...some of the most empathetic beings on the planet, unless there's a tarp flapping nearby, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Agree, that unless you are a Diresta type, he won’t be coming out to build. The good thing is that you can become very informed about Post Frame watching his channel, almost to the point of doing it yourself.

I watched the timber frame horse barn and it was definitely drool worthy.
    Yea, if I wasn't the age I am or at least didn't have some of the physical issues I have, I'd seriously consider a self build as I can get a full "kit of materials" for the building size and type I want for under twenty grand. Doing the ground work and the interior will be enough for me at this point.
    --

8. Is all concrete the same quality or are there different formulas/quality? Something I never thought of when having my house built but did after when my concrete drive had some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Is all concrete the same quality or are there different formulas/quality? Something I never thought of when having my house built but did after when my concrete drive had some issues.
    Charles, The 'concrete' used for a sidewalk/driveway, home foundation, sky scraper and nuclear power plant are completely different materials. Their cost is also very different, which is why sometimes buildings or bridges fail because the contractor substituted a cheaper mix, or didn't follow the specs for the steel used for
    reinforcement.
    Mark McFarlane

Blog Entries
    if I wasn't the age I am or at least didn't have some of the physical issues I have, I'd seriously consider a self build as I can get a full "kit of materials" for the building size and type I want for under twenty grand. Doing the ground work and the interior will be enough for me at this point.
    I had to make that same decision during my journey. Over the last few years I seem to have suddenly caught up with being a senior citizen . I now choose carefully what things I want to do versus things I just want done. The price tag often gives me pause but, the commitment of my time away from things I enjoy helps me make the decision.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I had to make that same decision during my journey. Over the last few years I seem to have suddenly caught up with being a senior citizen . I now choose carefully what things I want to do versus things I just want done. The price tag often gives me pause but, the commitment of my time away from things I enjoy helps me make the decision.
    Me too. Plus it get's done.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Is all concrete the same quality or are there different formulas/quality? Something I never thought of when having my house built but did after when my concrete drive had some issues.
    There are SO many options as Mark mentioned. For this particular application, the strength requirement is a lot less than would be needed for a structural situation or a building intended to be used with heavy vehicles, etc. Also, with a post frame building the slab is more or less a "floating" entity and not really tied into the building. There's no foundation or wall support involved, for example. That said, the firm I'm likely going to use for the building doesn't skimp on the floor...their spec is fiber mesh 3500 PSI at 4" and is also scored and sealed which is a decent level of strength to my understanding.

----

Glenn and Leigh, we're on the same page. As much as I LOVE doing things myself, there are limits that I set at this point. It's not just the physical labor, either...it's about time. For a post frame structure put up by folks who "do that all the time", the building itself can go up in 2-3 days max followed by the concrete. It would take me weeks (or more) just to put up the structure if I decided to do the contractor side myself, even with help. I see no point in that as I'd rather put my personal effort into making the interior specific to my needs since that's where I'll be spending a good chunk of my time for hopefully many years doing fun things.
    --

As much as I LOVE doing things myself, there are limits that I set at this point. It's not just the physical labor, either...it's about time.
    One of my neighbors started assembling the steel frame for his shop building 9 years ago, it's still not done.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Charles, The 'concrete' used for a sidewalk/driveway, home foundation, sky scraper and nuclear power plant are completely different materials. Their cost is also very different, which is why sometimes buildings or bridges fail because the contractor substituted a cheaper mix, or didn't follow the specs for the steel used for
    reinforcement.
    Informative thanks Mark. When I have my shop built this is something I'll check, I think they used too cheap of a mix for the concrete in front of my garage. Typical builder trying to cut corners.

There are SO many options as Mark mentioned. For this particular application, the strength requirement is a lot less than would be needed for a structural situation or a building intended to be used with heavy vehicles, etc. Also, with a post frame building the slab is more or less a "floating" entity and not really tied into the building. There's no foundation or wall support involved, for example. That said, the firm I'm likely going to use for the building doesn't skimp on the floor...their spec is fiber mesh 3500 PSI at 4" and is also scored and sealed which is a decent level of strength to my understanding.
    They sealed the inside of my garage floor with some kind of lacquer, anytime I drip solvent it turns sticky. Are you going to do an epoxy finish?