Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

Well, alrighty now...the "grownup" lumber moved in today. Most of it, anyway. I'm clearly going to need to keep some in the tent storage going forward just because of space considerations. I did move everything except the poplar and some "construction" type stuff. When I deal with the material that's still stacked and stickered for air drying, some of that will also need to live in the tent; probably the spruce and some of the ash. I can probably squeeze the walnut inside. At any rate...the tent has room available now.

IMG_4023.jpg

One load with the big trailer got things to the new shop building. This was the THIRD time I've moved this stuff! The first time was from the old shop to a pay-for storage unit. Then it was moved from there after they nearly doubled the rent after four months to the storage tent with the wood platform I build for the equivalent of two month's storage rental. The last was today.

IMG_4025.jpg IMG_4026.jpg

So now there is a "virtual forest" of lumber handy in the shop for future projects.

IMG_4027.jpg IMG_4029.jpg

I still need to deal with this stuff tomorrow and I've decided to build a rolling cart for the "longer skinny shorts" to free up more space in the vertical rack. I have one small "platform" left from the old shelving that was originally in the garage when we moved here, so that will be the base for the cart.

IMG_4028.jpg

I guess you could say that for most purposes, the "shop project journey" is kinda complete...and yes, it actually was fun most of the time. After a bit of cleanup and additional organization, I'll post some "tour" photos to close things out officially.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-11-2023 at 7:31 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very awsome shop! Must be nice to have all that room to store lumber, lol..

Jim... I went 'way 'way back to your posts in Sept about the concrete pour for the floor.
    What did you spec level (slope) and flatness to? If you mentioned it, I didn't see it.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 02-12-2023 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Jim... I went 'way 'way back to your posts in Sept about the concrete pour for the floor.
    What did you spec level (slope) and flatness to? If you mentioned it, I didn't see it.
    Flat flat flat flat flat! No flippin' way I would have accepted any kind of sloped floor for this shop building. And since it's a "residential accessory building" and not a "garage", there was zero issue with accomplishing that. (Disclaimer...like any concrete floor, it's not perfect. I had to put a very thin shim under one leg of the CNC machine, for example. 'Nature of the beast)
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Flat flat flat flat flat! No flippin' way I would have accepted any kind of sloped floor for this shop building. And since it's a "residential accessory building" and not a "garage", there was zero issue with accomplishing that. (Disclaimer...like any concrete floor, it's not perfect. I had to put a very thin shim under one leg of the CNC machine, for example. 'Nature of the beast)
    I understand "flat" and "no slope" but how did you spec it for the build (or pour)? Was a laser level used?
    Out here you can say "flat and "no slope" until the cows come home, but if the concrete guy says it's flat (when it ain't) they just shrug..."it's flat enough".
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 02-12-2023 at 10:50 AM.

I think you are confirming my suspicion wrt a question that I was going to ask my local code office, whether I can build a detached garage with a flat floor. I'll still ask but my bet is not. I want to be able to advertise as a detached garage if/when we sell this place.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I understand "flat" and "no slope" but how did you spec it for the build (or pour)? Was a laser level used?
    Out here you can say "flat and "no slope" until the cows come home, but if the concrete guy says it's flat (when it ain't) they just shrug..."it's flat enough".
    A good concrete crew will use a rotary laser to keep things as flat/level as possible as they pour and screed, but for a small space like my shop, they didn't do that and still came up pretty darn good. It's what they do. I told them prior that I wanted it flat with zero slope and let them do their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I think you are confirming my suspicion wrt a question that I was going to ask my local code office, whether I can build a detached garage with a flat floor. I'll still ask but my bet is not. I want to be able to advertise as a detached garage if/when we sell this place.
    It's a good idea to have a conversation with your jurisdiction's building/code officer so you know up-front what you can and cannot do. If you are required to pour with a slope because of the "garage" thing, perhaps you can either get the building designation changed to something like an equipment shed or accessory building. If not and they are steadfast, consider a higher ceiling height and plan for putting in sleepers and a wood floor that can be level for YOUR purposes, but be reconfigured in the future for someone who wants to use it for vehicles.

I actually did have this conversation with the local code officer and it was a pleasant experience. My jurisdiction has multiple types of outbuildings in their building regulations so there were no issues here with what I wanted, even though there is an 8x8 overhead door on the front facade.
    --

A good concrete crew will use a rotary laser to keep things as flat/level as possible as they pour and screed, but for a small space like my shop, they didn't do that and still came up pretty darn good. It's what they do. I told them prior that I wanted it flat with zero slope and let them do their thing.
    OK.. Thank you. That answers my question.

While I was puttering in the shop working on a few things, I stepped back and noticed that I was feeling pretty good about the "tool wall". There's still some little things to do and some adjustments to be made, but I'm pretty happy about it so far.

IMG_4043.jpg
    --

It really does look great. First order accessibility too.

It's always very satisfying to complete tool re-organization, consolidation or build project. I have been doing that for the last year as this workshop evolution occurs.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    The wall looks great Jim. It must be a hoot to start from a new sheet of paper and fresh perspective. I know there are some things that I would do differently given the opportunity.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Jim, What is that (marked in pic) and what is it used for?

Tool Wall.jpg

Not enough stuff on that tool wall, Jim. Need to pack it denser.

All I can say is wow.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Jim, What is that (marked in pic) and what is it used for?

Tool Wall.jpg
    A shop project in progress...finish is wet.
    --