Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

Are you going to have an air drier? I'm going to add one to my shop in the near future. This time of year my air is quite wet.
    The Plane Anarchist

Your mini-split doesn't have a dehumidify mode? We've got 5 here in the house, and they're 'imports' ... literally, driven across the border and nothing in the manual is in English, and there's no UL sticker. Look exactly the same as the name brand units, and are all working just fine.

FWIW, there's been a significant reduction in electric consumption since these are being used rather than the ducted system.

I've run dehumidify on the one in the garage to dry my car out. It wasn't particularly cold outside, so I don't know what results in the way of heating/cooling, or whether you'd have to alternate in the winter. In the summer, in AC mode, the 2 in the BR and LR leave a small stream running across the back porch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    Your mini-split doesn't have a dehumidify mode? .
    Yes, it does have drying mode. But that's not heat, AFAIK, but I'll check into it to be sure. We're about to get a cold snap from the "polar vortex" after another copious amount of rain later in the week, so getting heat from the mini split is the priority for sure! Running the dehumidifier is working just fine for the moment.

----

Limited time in the shop building today, but I got the air system filters and regulator placed as well as the RapidAir manifold. The additional air outlet kits arrived late in the day, so I can get those placed tomorrow in prep for running tubing as soon as a few other components arrive. I need to spend some time doing the design for the cabinets/drawers I'll be putting my Systainers in/on.

The other thing I did this afternoon is got the Jointer/Thicknesser loaded and strapped on to a couple of dollies so it's prepared for moving as soon as the weather and ground cooperates. I'm thinking that said polar vortex and temps in the 20s early next week bodes well for moving without sinking into the lawn, AKA swamp. I'll get the CNC on its casters next for the same reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes, it does have drying mode. But that's not heat, AFAIK,
    --- temps in the 20s early next week bodes well for moving without sinking into the lawn, AKA swamp.
    LOL. We've got mush here and there as well, but a base of limestone not too far down or even exposed. And it gets below zero (C) here as well, which just seems bizarre, to me (Nor-Cal native) in the 'south'. Then again, that was the issue with Challenger ...

Drying mode, I'll have to try it again, I'm not sure myself. Technically, I think it needs to cool the air to get the water to precipitate out so it can drain off. But maybe it runs at a low speed so there's not a lot of airflow resembling AC?

Oh, and I like the air line ports too. Seems a ton easier than the copper I had in my old shop. And probably look better as well, I ain't exactly a pro' at soldering.

Wes, the ground here at our new property features an extremely high water table and a soil that has more clay than I would prefer. It grows grass just fine, but it gets really 'squishy' fast when there is a large amount of rain or in the early spring if there's been any snow. Last week we got about 3.5" of rain and I'm expecting a ton of it Thursday and Friday. I may move some smaller things tomorrow if I feel that the Big Orange Power Tool (Kubota) will not overly damage things, but otherwise, an expected hard freeze starting on Sunday will hopefully let me get the J/P and the CNC moved as I have to use the trailer with it's winch to do that. I have a loader mountable hitch to move the trailer so I don't have to use my larger vehicle to do the deed, but I don't want to make big ruts, either.
    --

Does this mean it's a shop now?

IMG_3401.jpg

I'm using some pallets to help with moving the smaller stuff when it makes sense to do so...the Big Orange Power Tool can move a bunch of stuff at once that way. The trailer will be necessary for the remaining larger tools, however.

IMG_3394.jpg

----

Today, the remaining 240v receptacles were installed as I shut down the temporary gara-shop in that respect and moved said receptacles and the CNC's breaker to the new space. The remaining time I had today was spent as noted above...packaging and moving some of the lighter stuff as the ground was (barely) hard enough to get some of that done.
    --

Today I spend a few hours prepping machines and other stuff to move from the temporary gara-shop to the new shop building. It was a combination of packing, wrapping, positioning and cleaning.

Interestingly, it looked bare when I started because I cleared space so I could jack up the CNC and put the wheels on...

IMG_3407.jpg

But that was deceiving. Near the end of the exercise, before I moved the bandsaw and a few other things up, it looked like this...

IMG_3408.jpg

Stuff that rolls is on its wheels and will go up on the trailer. Other stuff is on pallets that can be moved directly by the Big Orange Power Tool. The lathe, once again, will stick around and move last as I need to break it apart to transport in pieces as it's too heavy to lift with the tractor whole and the mobility solution I have for it in the shed cannot navigate ramps as it only clears the floor by about a quarter inch. The stuff on pallets will hopefully move on the weekend and the bigger machines early in the week when I hopefully have help available.
    --

Ot looks to me that when you get the old space all cleared out you will have a nice place for a-a-a- Wood Shop! Or maybe a dedicated Metal Shop!
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Ot looks to me that when you get the old space all cleared out you will have a nice place for a-a-a- Wood Shop! Or maybe a dedicated Metal Shop!
    LOL, I do plan on having a work table and some basic tools in the "garage" for convenience. Probably will park the Kubota in there during the coldest weather. We are undecided about parking Professor Dr. SWMBO's Forester in there, largely because it's difficult for her to maneuver in close spaces due to eyesight and a few other issues I'll not go into here. If I backed it in (I back in for parking normally) for her, that might work. But neither of us have ever, ever parked a vehicle in a garage in our entire lives so we're up in the air about it.

------

I'm going to do a little work on the air system this afternoon and I have an HVAC guy coming to properly top off the refrigerant in the Mini Split. It's less expensive to do it that way (cash deal) than for me to buy the little containers of the stuff. I still need a few more components for the air system, but I have what I need to do most of the lines, etc.

Tomorrow, I'll be moving the "smaller stuff" on pallets and the plan is to move the big tools on Monday while the ground is hopefully frozen. My daughter's boyfriend is available to help, so that's hopefully how things are going to work.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

I'm going to do a little work on the air system this afternoon and I have an HVAC guy coming to properly top off the refrigerant in the Mini Split. It's less expensive to do it that way (cash deal) than for me to buy the little containers of the stuff. I still need a few more components for the air system, but I have what I need to do most of the lines, etc.
    Jim on your new Mr. Cool or this is in your house?

I think it would be appropriate for all of us to help Jim to decide what to do with his old shop space.
    I vote for a nice dedicated metal shop. Mill, lathe, bandsaw, welder, tube bender, cut off saw, all the stuff normal people have.
    The Plane Anarchist

You neglected to add hand held plasma cutter, CNC plasma table, and paint booth. Of course, by now we'd need another building.
    I think it would be appropriate for all of us to help Jim to decide what to do with his old shop space.
    I vote for a nice dedicated metal shop. Mill, lathe, bandsaw, welder, tube bender, cut off saw, all the stuff normal people have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Stiefel View Post
    Jim on your new Mr. Cool or this is in your house?
    Shop building. When I had the leak awhile back due to my own stupidity, I did a partial recharge with a small "kit" that was more expensive than I would have liked. It was frankly less expensive to get an HVAC guy to do a 'side job" to top things off properly than to buy the two small canisters of R410a that I would have needed to do it myself. He was out last night and the deed is done. Hopefully, I've corrected all of my "idiot" mistakes at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    You neglected to add hand held plasma cutter, CNC plasma table, and paint booth. Of course, by now we'd need another building.
    Well, maybe I need to buy a winning Mega Millions ticket today to be able to afford these helpful suggestions. But a paint booth in the garage is totally out...no insulation and no real heat.

I will add that having the "garage" will absolutely provide additional temporary storage space for materials, partially finished things and for "tweaking" of stuff destined for inside the house. Example: I may be doing a built-in in our eating area to match/compliment our kitchen cabinets.
    ----

Yesterday, I got the air system "plumbed" completely and one hundred foot coil of the tubing was sufficient so I will be able to resell the second 100' coil to someone else at a very attractive cost just as I bought this stuff to begin with. I still need two "tees" to complete-complete the job and bring the system live and hopefully, they will arrive something next week. I also mounted the 25" monitor for the CNC computer to the wall and began planning for accommodating the keyboard and rodent. I may or may not switch to a different mount in this space, rather than doing a shelf, but a shelf can be less money. Still debating on that.

Today is way too cold to move the pallets of stuff because of the outside temp and "big wind", so I may do that tomorrow afternoon after all the presents and brunch stuff is done for the holiday. It will still be chilly but no appreciable wind. Unless something intervenes, I plan on moving the big machines on Monday when the ground is still frozen. My younger daughter's boyfriend is available to help with that.
    --

Now that the minisplit/heat pump is all charged up, did it keep your shop at a decent temp today?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Now that the minisplit/heat pump is all charged up, did it keep your shop at a decent temp today?
    Reasonably so...my install isn't "ideal" in that it has to blow the long direction so it's cooler up in the front than back at the unit. It just wasn't possible to put it anywhere else without doing some uncomfortable dancing that I'll not get into. It's set to 68º right now as I wanted things to get back to "normal" and is maintaining 64-67ºF as measured at the unit. My YoLink temperature/humidity sensor up front near the electric panel is indicating a range of 60-62ºF. I may put a supplemental fan somewhere in the middle at some point, but honestly, anything 62ºF and above is reasonably comfortable for me in the shop and I"m sure the LED lights add a little to the effort, too, when I'm out there. Now this is for the current excessively low temps we're getting due to the weather event. With our normal overall temperatures, it can stay a toasty 68º F without much effort. This is normal for a heat pump...even though this particular unit can produce heat down to -13ºF, it's not very efficient when you get down to the single digits like it did last night and through part of today. Nature of the beast. At the moment...it's 11ºF outside. By the coming New Years weekend, it will be in the fifties. We tend to have 40s and sometimes warmer for a good part of the "winter" with a few weeks of lower 30s in late January/early February.

I'm sure my space also pushes the limits for a 24k BTU unit when it has to work hard because of low temps outside. The open ceiling area gets it beyond the 1000 sq ft "effectively" compared to what it would be with an 8-10' fixed ceiling. The 36K BTU version would likely perform better and if it was my house, that extra cost would have got the nod. Now come warm weather, I suspect that the AC performance will be fine because of how cooler air pools in the space rather than raising up.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-24-2022 at 7:50 PM.
    --