Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

Congratulations with starting the building of your new shop. If you haven't considered it yet, I recommend that you paint walls and ceiling white if at all possible.
    It will virtualy eliminate shadows.
    Cheers,

Tim

Tim, while most areas will be a light color, I will not rule out some contrasts. I don't like boring spaces. So I can assure you it will not be one big, stark white space as that would be very uncomfortable for "me". What I decide to actually clad the walls with will also factor in. For example, in my old shop, half the space was clad with T1-11 left natural. It was light enough to not cause issues with light levels but warm enough to make it a comfortable space to spend a lot of time in.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congrats on kicking it off, I know you have been waiting quite a while. I look forward to following along.

I did semigloss white paint on my walls and have a white acoustic tile ceiling. I regretted the pure white walls pretty quickly (unfortunately not quickly enough to repaint them before covering the walls). I think I would have been better off with an off white or light tan color. I'm fine with the white ceiling, but a little warmer color on the walls would have been more pleasant. Now the walls are covered with enough stuff that it isn't so bad, but I probably would repaint if the opportunity presented itself.

Blog Entries
    Looking forward to following this build.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    I did semigloss white paint on my walls and have a white acoustic tile ceiling. I regretted the pure white walls pretty quickly (unfortunately not quickly enough to repaint them before covering the walls). I think I would have been better off with an off white or light tan color. I'm fine with the white ceiling, but a little warmer color on the walls would have been more pleasant. Now the walls are covered with enough stuff that it isn't so bad, but I probably would repaint if the opportunity presented itself.
    You express my own concern pretty well. There really can be a "too white" situation and in such a large, open space, it can really smack hard. But I'm a long way from having to worry about it...sadly. LOL
    --

I went the T1-11 route. It’s really the only disappointment I have in my shop. I bought the T1-11 at the peak of the lumber crunch and had to take what I could get. It was horrible quality, many complete sand thru spots where the veneer was completely sanded thru. I returned 10 complete sheets that I wouldn’t have used on a hog barn. But I did use the rest and tried to put the bad spots in hidden area’s. Lots of football patches too.
    my walls are 10’ and the T1-11 that I could get was only 9’. So I put a 1’ border right at the electrical outlet level. Painted below and MinWax floor poly on the top. Trimmed on top and bottom with pine 1x4. I do like the finished look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I went the T1-11 route. It’s really the only disappointment I have in my shop. I bought the T1-11 at the peak of the lumber crunch and had to take what I could get. It was horrible quality, many complete sand thru spots where the veneer was completely sanded thru. I returned 10 complete sheets that I wouldn’t have used on a hog barn. But I did use the rest and tried to put the bad spots in hidden area’s. Lots of football patches too.
    my walls are 10’ and the T1-11 that I could get was only 9’. So I put a 1’ border right at the electrical outlet level. Painted below and MinWax floor poly on the top. Trimmed on top and bottom with pine 1x4. I do like the finished look.
    i think you came up with a very handsome look with the stripe and tan bottom, even with the sub par material.

I agree with Adam that your choices worked well. I actually wouldn't mind doing a a raceway for machine wiring rather than conduit so I could end up with a similar situation. My plan is for 10' walls and that gives some flexibility around the idea.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Another shop question I don't see addressed is fire suppression. I have a small and medium extinguisher at two locations in my 3 car garage shop.
    Charles, my shop/studio is a metal building, even so, I have 3 fire extinguisher updated and inspected regularly. People have ask me why

Jim, I’m glad you’re taking the time to share your efforts and journey with us and for the opportunity for each of us to offer our insights. After all, as they say, it takes a village to raise a workshop. This will be a rich thread to follow.

Another shop question I don't see addressed is fire suppression. I have a small and medium extinguisher at two locations in my 3 car garage shop.
    Sorry, I missed this question previously. I have multiple, readily accessible, fire extinguishers available in my shop...even in the temporary shop.

Lawrence, a lot of folks don't realize that metal "burns", too. Sometimes literally. But it's also weakened physically/chemically by high heat. So yea...a fire can and will be a problem for a metal structure, too.
    --

13. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Lawrence, a lot of folks don't realize that metal "burns", too.
    A few years back a hobbyist caught his metal lathe on fire turning Titanium.

Blog Entries
    A few years back a hobbyist caught his metal lathe on fire turning Titanium.
    Was that titanium or perhaps magnesium? Titanium is known for withstanding extremely high temperatures.

Humanity never fails to have at least one person who does the amazing...even if it's something ill-advised.
    --