Page 30 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    So, Jim, if I follow you correctly the shop will not be served by the generator, correct? I have the same set-up here, the shop going up after the house re-model was done. Curious what product you are planning for the acoustic tile. I, too, have the 10’ walls but did the 8’ply with a 2’ up top. The tile is a good idea. Have to say i have enjoyed this thread. I get up in the morning and wonder what we…er, you got done today.
    No, the generator is only for the house. Same setup as at our old property in that respect. I'm going to use simple "cheap" drop ceiling tiles to line the upper perimeter---same stuff that was stapled to the ceiling at the old shop. That's just one piece of the sound mitigation...there will hopefully also be baffles and other sound absorption up in the truss area, too, and maybe some creative wall hung things. I have a lot of scrap trim boards from the house that was demolished next door that I can employ to make stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    It's normal practice around here to have multiple circuits supplying a dual receptacle in a kitchen. Allows one to plug in two high power appliances without tripping a single breaker. Breakers are tied so no real confusion.
    Here, that's done by alternating circuits...duals are not so common, at least in existing homes. But yes, using a double pole breaker or strapping two with appropriate hardware, can keep things safe. I might consider this in the shop, but I only have a few instances of quads planned. I really don't need them other than for charging, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Shop build threads are interesting. This one concerns me a bit, though. Jim's avatar aged substantially since the project started.
    LOL!
    This looks like it will a nice setup when all is more or less said and done.

I too noticed that he has aged, and it seems his barber retired as well. I'm pretty jealous of his new workshop

LOL. Actually, the old avatar was from something like 2008. The real transition is that I'm back to having more hair.

teen-face.jpeg Jim-Hair.jpg jim-avatar-300pix.jpg IMG_E9532.jpg IMG_E2727.jpg

-------

On another note, electricians were back today to complete the conduit to the cutoff location and get the ground rod installed. It's nice when an 8' metal rod goes in with a hammer and doesn't hit a single rock. They should be back out tomorrow and there's an outside chance the work will be completed, but I'm not holding my breath...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    LOL. Actually, the old avatar was from something like 2008. The real transition is that I'm back to having more hair.

teen-face.jpeg Jim-Hair.jpg jim-avatar-300pix.jpg IMG_E9532.jpg IMG_E2727.jpg

-------

On another note, electricians were back today to complete the conduit to the cutoff location and get the ground rod installed. It's nice when an 8' metal rod goes in with a hammer and doesn't hit a single rock. They should be back out tomorrow and there's an outside chance the work will be completed, but I'm not holding my breath...
    The rebel in repose? Who would have thought we would be here now when we were there then.

More hair is relative. Seems an abundance in the back but somewhat less up front. Actually that works pretty well for long hair as you can have it and not have it in your face all the time. i don’t miss that pony tail at all. PPersonally, I got tired of going bald slowly so I have been shaving my head for the past 25 yr. Smooth is good! Wear it as you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Here, that's done by alternating circuits...duals are not so common, at least in existing homes. But yes, using a double pole breaker or strapping two with appropriate hardware, can keep things safe. I might consider this in the shop, but I only have a few instances of quads planned. I really don't need them other than for charging, etc.
    I've always wanted a 220V powered espresso machine but they're not very common for home use in NA. Nice to have the option to convert a receptacle to 240V.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    I've always wanted a 220V powered espresso machine but they're not very common for home use in NA. Nice to have the option to convert a receptacle to 240V.
    Reminds me that Mike Pekovich (FWW) has talked about the 240 volt commercial toaster he bought in his search for "perfect" toast. I do like good toast (and good espresso) but probably not willing to go that far for either
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Why the acoustic tile at the top of the walls for 2'. Obviously for sound mitigation, but why only at the top? Is the foam in the walls taking care of reducing sound in the lower parts of the wall?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    More hair is relative. Seems an abundance in the back but somewhat less up front. Actually that works pretty well for long hair as you can have it and not have it in your face all the time. i don’t miss that pony tail at all. PPersonally, I got tired of going bald slowly so I have been shaving my head for the past 25 yr. Smooth is good! Wear it as you like it!
    I've actually used that as a joke many times over the years...same amount of hair as when I was younger but shifted more to the back. I did the short, not quite shaved, thing for a few years up until we moved last year. I just got the itch to get back to "me".

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Why the acoustic tile at the top of the walls for 2'. Obviously for sound mitigation, but why only at the top? Is the foam in the walls taking care of reducing sound in the lower parts of the wall?
    It's just part of my sound mitigation plans, Alan. The walls are the walls. The spray foam (especially where it will be exposed up top) can help with knocking down reflections, but closed cell foam has a firm surface and isn't all that absorbent. So I'll be doing more things that will help keep things comfortable. In my previous shop, the entire ceiling was acoustic ceiling tile (stapled up rather than in a drop grid) and it was like being in a recording studio. I doubt I'll get that here, but somewhere in between "noisy" and "quiet" will be the goal.

-----

Electricians were back today to get the infrastructure done at the house end, including new meter box and the shop disconnect. Things went well and a nice thing was that the generator keep the house powered the whole time we were "literally" off grid. The minor exception is that nobody thought to make sure that a 320 amp meter was requested from the power company. So right now, we're in bypass mode overnight until this can be dealt with. If I had been asked, I would have made the request myself. Oh, well...stuff happens. They will be back tomorrow to do the actual pull of the cable between the shop and the house and hopefully by the end of the day, things will be "completed completed". Cross your crossables...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-20-2022 at 4:32 PM.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Reminds me that Mike Pekovich (FWW) has talked about the 240 volt commercial toaster he bought in his search for "perfect" toast. I do like good toast (and good espresso) but probably not willing to go that far for either
    I live (now) in the 240v world and haven’t seen a good toaster for 50 years. My parents' old Sunbeam would toast rings around what you can buy today. I think my Dad used it for a heat treating oven occasionally.

Overhead door company was here bright and early this morning to replace the bottom seal with a "fluffier" one to solve the issue of a slight dip in the concrete on one side that was leaving a small space for air leakage and critter infiltration. The bigger, softer seal solved the problem as was expected so that was the very last punch list item for the builder/concrete/door folks. They are all "related businesses" so this was also a less expensive fix because of cross charging, too.

Hopefully, the electricians will finish up today...still waiting for them to arrive.
    --

Speaking of OHD's. this is what I woke up to yesterday. I don't know when the torsion spring broke, if'n it happened when I opened the door or maybe it snapped because of the cold weather...donno. The door guys replaced the torsion springs on both doors today and I reinforced the top of the doors with a 1-1/2" x angle iron.....I didn't know these springs are "cycle rated".

521C1389-8BF5-47FA-B161-6FC34469FF45_1_201_a.jpg CC19C0F5-640F-4958-B1BA-C63AC7023A83_1_201_a.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    .....I didn't know these springs are "cycle rated".
    I didn't either until a couple years ago when one broke in our garage. Once I learned that I started thinking about how many times I open/closed that door and I realized they would only last about 8 years if they only met their rating. Had them put in the HD springs which had double the duty rating, 20,000 cycles I believe.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I didn't either until a couple years ago when one broke in our garage. Once I learned that I started thinking about how many times I open/closed that door and I realized they would only last about 8 years if they only met their rating. Had them put in the HD springs which had double the duty rating, 20,000 cycles I believe.
    It also helps to keep them lubed. When I change the oil in one of the cars or a lawn machine, I wipe some of the used oil on the springs. Helps keep them from rusting and lets the coils slide past each other with less friction so you don't have some coils flexing more than others.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--