Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

Any room for overhead storage?

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Any room for overhead storage?
    No and not planned for. 4/12 pitch roof with trusses. Yea, I could throw some sticks up there, but I'm not really keen on needing to use a really tall ladder to put stuff up and bring stuff down. I will have both vertical and horizontal lumber storage and that works well with a 10' "ceiling".

--------

Did most of the remaining wall girt work today which was primarily the front wall with the man-door, overhead door and a window. So more small pieces which understandably takes more time than full sticks down the long walls. 'Had to get creative with the bottom girt where the electric service comes up though the floor...

IMG_2746.jpg

This pano shot make it look like a bowling ally but it shows most of the completed interior girt work. I have two bays on the back wall to complete after I get some more material I waited on that because I needed to mull over the "where" for the aforementioned lumber storage, but I think I have that worked out. Some extra structure is necessary to insure there is adequate weight bearing strength down to the floor for that function.

IMG_2745.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-14-2022 at 8:47 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I pretty much completed everything I can do on the interior this afternoon, outside of a very short list of "little things", that I can do until the electric service is in and I can get my final inspections and certificate. The back right corner has reinforcement for vertical loads as this area will handle lumber storage. I "may" put a little more of that reinforcement to the left of the right post in hindsight as it's likely that I'll need a combination of horizontal and vertical storage for said lumber and I'd rather put out another fifty bucks for some sticks now that not have it in place and find it's needed later.

IMG_2747.jpg IMG_2749.jpg IMG_2748.jpg

So let's hope the electrician can get back to do what needs done. He's swamped, partially because his son, who is his second, got tagged for military reserve duty for a few weeks, and also because of recent weather.

"Meanwhile"...I gotta paint some doors and do some grading outside. When that runs out, I can get back on making the other three speaker "enclosures" I'll need for the flat panel speakers that are going up into the "ceiling" space.
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I pretty much completed everything I can do on the interior this afternoon, outside of a very short list of "little things", that I can do until the electric service is in and I can get my final inspections and certificate. The back right corner has reinforcement for vertical loads as this area will handle lumber storage. I "may" put a little more of that reinforcement to the left of the right post in hindsight as it's likely that I'll need a combination of horizontal and vertical storage for said lumber and I'd rather put out another fifty bucks for some sticks now that not have it in place and find it's needed later.
    I added 2 more horizontal racks and one more vertical rack beyond what was planned. Most if this is because I was without a shop for a couple of years yet still acquired material. Material in these areas will eventually become product instead of material and be the space will be re-assigned to a more practical long-term use. . That being said, I am glad I have it available for the time being.

In the words of the David Letterman show . . . "Better to have Lou Rawls and not need him than to need Lou Rawls and not have him".
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Good analogy, Glenn! $3.75 2x4s are "cheap" given the long term potential of a little extra support in an area that will be primarily used for storage things. I also gotta stick one more short horizontal girt above the electrical panel as there will need to be a shelf up there for audio and network gear..
    --

HI Jim (And everyone else),

I am going to have my 20'x20' garage rewired to make my woodshop.
    "Rewired" is really not accurate as it has one light outlet in the ceiling. That's it.
    I'm going to have a 100A subpanel installed and go from there.
    So Jim, how many 110V ckts do you have in your new shop and for what current? and how did locate them?
    (I'm also going to have 4 separately dedicated 220V ckts but I already have those locations planned)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    ... I am going to have my 20'x20' garage rewired to make my woodshop. ...
    Patty, you don't say where you are and local rules & regs will be a significant factor in your options. I've been slowly collecting info for the same sort of upgrade here. It seems there are two conflicting features to be finessed here. First, having two dedicated 50 amp circuits suitable for car chargers, I'm told, will significantly increase property values. The other, conflicting, point is that PG&E, our power company, has been being 'erh Jerks about service upgrades.

If you are in a similar situation, you may want to see the cost and permissibility of a 200 Amp sub-panel for your garage, complete with appropriate sized wire from the main panel, but using a lower amperage breaker in the main panel sized for your current service and expected shop loads. I got busy with other stuff and haven't found an electrician to check if I can do that here (and the cost), but a HVAC guy suggested it so I'm hopeful....

Good luck.

Thank you David

I am in the Phoenix metro area (Mesa to be exact).
    I've considered the 200A sub panel. Here is what I didn't say in my initial post: my house currently (HAHA) has 150A service.
    I am thinking to upgrade to at least 300A. If EVs weren't looming I'd go with a 200A Main and the 100A sub.
    So yes, maybe a 200A Sub would be prudent if I go with the 300A main.
    But the reason for the question was really about the 110 ckts.
    I think at least 2 separate ones should be in the ceiling for lights, and 15 A should be OK.
    But I want to know how many 110 Ckts (and what amperage) Jim has and how he decided on location (and how many outlets per ckt), and did he hang any from the ceiling/rafters.

Thank you David
    You're most welcome.

I am in the Phoenix metro area (Mesa to be exact).
    Seems like a good place for solar, which might get you to higher amps locally. But that's something I haven't even thought about investigating. (If you do, please share.)

... But the reason for the question was really about the 110 ckts. ...
    This I have thought about. The best answer probably depends on your personal use (which, I know, can be hard to predict.)

Around here ceiling circuits seem to be 15A. With more efficient LED lights, you may (should) be able to run multiple banks on one circuit.

For outlets, ignoring any dedicated circuits (which I'd prefer to be 240V anyway), I think I would have use for a max of three at any one time: power tool, shop vac, and misc stuff (e.g. task lights, battery chargers, radio, etc.) Since 120V circuits naturally come in pairs round up to four. Here, a circuit with multiple standard 15A outlets is wired with 20A wire & breaker. I'm sure there are limits on the number of outlets on a circuit and site specific routing challenges that might make the number go up for wiring convenience. I'd be interested in others thoughts, so I can collect ideas for when (next spring? I hope) I get around to upgrading here.

This is an underlying reason for my big 200A sub-panel fixation! 2/3'rds empty so I can easily rectify all my planning mistakes.

All lights could be easily handled by one ckt, yes.
    However (comma), I like the idea of splitting the lights on two ckts so if you have to shut off the lights for some reason (repair/relocate etc), or if the lights decide to just fail all of themselves, you still have one bank of working lights.
    I worked in aerospace for 35 years so I have redundancy on the brain.**
    But I think I read it here too, about having the lights split on at least 2 ckts.
    And yes, I'm thinking all 110 ckts should be wired for 20A.... 15A just doesn't do it anymore.

**"Hello...You've reached the Department of Redundancy Department"
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 10-16-2022 at 2:49 PM.

HI Jim (And everyone else),

I am going to have my 20'x20' garage rewired to make my woodshop.
    "Rewired" is really not accurate as it has one light outlet in the ceiling. That's it.
    I'm going to have a 100A subpanel installed and go from there.
    So Jim, how many 110V ckts do you have in your new shop and for what current? and how did locate them?
    (I'm also going to have 4 separately dedicated 220V ckts but I already have those locations planned)
    Thanks
    The electrical plan I have created has two 120v 20 amp circuits for general use inside the building, one 120v 20 amp circuit for outside outlets and one additional 120v 20 amp circuit to supply power and light to the small 10x16 shed that is about 40' away from the new shop building. I have not determined exact final locations for the 120v general use circuits but they will be convenient to workstations. The air cleaner will share the "outside outlet" circuit as will control side of a contactor that will provide wall switch on/off for the compressor which is a 240v device. All four of these circuits will be using GFCI breakers to be in compliance with code. Lighting consumes an additional 120v circuit. For 240v, there will be dedicated circuits for the DC, Minisplit and my CNC machine. The remaining machines will share a single 240v 30 amp circuit since none of them will ever be running simultaneously. Running dedicated circuits for machines that don't compete for power is costly and not necessary for a one person shop...I made that "mistake" in my previous shop. There's no harm in it, however, other than to one's wallet. Breakers are darn expensive these days.

I agree with the comment that where you live as well as what tools you intend to service will affect your own design and encourage you to create a thread here in the Workshops discussion area that can get into those details for your particular situation.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-16-2022 at 7:58 PM.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Enlighten this city boy. What is coil stock?
    My son just had this machine installed at his new shop. The coil stock is rolled into a 'B Deck profile' through a series of dies, with different dies the same machine can be used to form 'R' panel like the roof and siding panels used on Jims shop.

9B081E3B-2F3C-4D30-B421-D3D5BFCF24D2_1_201_a.jpg 8C1FE059-BCAD-4053-9028-540DB2E6DD8B_1_201_a.jpg 9D84F23D-8D71-4DA7-B20D-9B180FB741BE_1_201_a.jpg A7408BD0-1F82-4587-A47B-66D7A242946F.png
    Last edited by Lawrence Duckworth; 10-16-2022 at 9:28 PM.

Thanks Lawrence. That looks like a pricey piece of equipment!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thank you....That was very helpful. I now have a pretty good idea of how I need to wire my shop.

'Don't think I'll be buying one of those machines, Lawrence, but yea...it's amazing how coil stock of varying thicknesses can be formed in to "new materials". That's the simple method that the gutters on my building were made right here in the driveway. The "B Deck" stuff you show is certainly thicker and stouter, but the same method gets the job done!
    -------

Yesterday, I did a few more little things on my short list of little things including getting the man-door painted (looks great) and installing a little more blocking for vertical support on the back wall. I've decided to add slightly more of that as well as a couple of pieces of horizontal material in the corner to allow for vertical sheet goods storage. The scrap from that will provide what I need when I get into electrical box placement. Speaking of electric, the contractor is hopeful to get here tomorrow and/or Wednesday to get the trenching completed so we can move forward to establishing the service in the building. That's the only thing standing between "now" and getting my inspections completed which needs to happen before I can do any more interior work other than faddling with little things. Exterior wise, I need to get the big door painted and do a little regrading in front of the big door.
    --