Page 21 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

Yesterday I finished up one piece of blocking above the man door and also marked all the interior girt locations just because I had the time to do so. They will not go up until after insulation on 6 October. Today's fun was taking delivery of 11 ton of 2B clean stone for the concrete folks to do the final prep for the floor next week...I wanted to bring in the big truck while it was still very dry out since I can no longer use the lot next door for transit of "stuff". Other than a piece of color coordinated trim I need to install under the man door threshold, I pretty much have nothing else I can do inside the building until after the floor is in. I will likely just move on to taking care of getting some dark stain on the exposed portion of the grade board all around and then work on getting a little more stone along the edges to clean things up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The aforementioned stone...

ORXY0246.jpg

Yesterday, I picked up the 2" foam insulation for the floor...the folks at Lowes had a challenge finding someone actually there that was permitted to run a fork lift and they also didn't have long forks which made loading the stack a combination of a fork lift and three people including me pushing and shoving. I would have liked to buy at one of the full service places, but the cost per sheet would have been $12 and $36 higher. I'm having a similar quandary about the material for the interior girts. I'd prefer 16' material, but have to decide if I want to pay $3-10 per board higher since the material cost is higher and I'd have to opt for delivery.

IMG_E2331.jpg

Today's activity after staining the visible portion of the grade boards was installing the drainage pipe for the two gutters that will be on the building. I salvaged 4" PVC pipe from the demolition house next door a few months ago for this purpose and just had to buy some fittings. The digging was easy with the Big Orange Power Tool. Once the pipe was in the ground and backfilled (compacting to reduce settling) I put additional stone around the perimeter, other than near the overhead door that will be getting a small poured apron, to clean things up.

IMG_2340.jpg IMG_2339.jpg

This outside stuff is "busy work", but doing it now means not having to interrupt any of the interior work later. There's really not much more I can do now until the floor is in. I need to coax the electrician out to at least get the shop end of the conduit installed before the pour, but hopefully, before the concrete prep work being done on Thursday.
    --

It sounds like you're making a lot of progress, both on the things you can do yourself and on scheduling the other people to do their jobs. I like that they gave you those corner guards for the insulation. I had to haul 15 sheets of 2" XPS about 90 miles on my trailer and the straps cut into it on the corners of the top sheet.

Zachary, "they" didn't provide the corner guards...I took them with me. I save that kind of material when I get a box or crate of something because invariably, that stuff comes in handy. Even with them, however, there's some minor deforming from pressure from the hold down straps.
    --

Good for you, that was a very wise plan. I thought about taking one of the sheets of subfloor from the bottom of the pile and putting it on top to protect the foam but I had also bought a bunch of cull lumber in an unplanned way from Home Depot that was on top of the subfloor on the trailer, and it was pouring rain by the time I got to the lumberyard that had the foam, so I didn't.

I wish I would have thought of taking a sheet of 1/4" scrap that I have from an old plywood delivery from industrial Plywood, but even if I had thought of it, digging it out would not have been a reasonable task. This foam will be hidden under 4" of concrete, so a few little defects will be inconsequential fortunatly.
    --

The time lapse I promised for the build is now up to entertain you...

--

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the video. Really enjoyed watching it.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

That was fun to watch!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yea, I love these time lapse type presentations of projects like that...I'm putting up a custom camera mount today so I can do the same for the concrete prep and later the concrete pour.
    --

That was cool! But you need to fire that guy in the shorts....he hardly did any work!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Looks great Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    That was cool! But you need to fire that guy in the shorts....he hardly did any work!
    He was providing quality control for the build session, but will soon be up to his eyeballs in finishing out the entire inside largely by himself. So there's payback for being "lazy" while those young bucks threw sticks around.

------

So....tomorrow is going to be a busy day. The concrete folks moved their prep from Thursday to tomorrow starting at about noon. The electrician finally got out and will get the conduit placed at the building end in the morning. I already dug the baby trench so he can do that fast and then return to another job nearby. And the gutter folks are also showing up tomorrow morning bright and early.

And then I have to get on with getting the insulation foam down on the floor...that's going to be fun. LOL

Concrete pour is confirmed for early Monday morning. Builder's QC team will also be out next week to replace one corner trim and the man-door that has some damage.
    --

Busy day today...gutters up. Electric panel and conduit stubs in the building. Concrete crew done their prep work.

IMG_2376.jpg IMG_E2390.jpg

The inspector will be out late morning to look at the ground and say, "Yup...that's nice flat stone" and then I can start working on getting the vapor barrier and foam insulation down so things are ready for the Monday morning concrete pour. Electrician will be out mid-late next week to trench, etc. He finally found a 320 amp meter box with another electrician who had a job cancellation and it's less money than current pricing by a magnitude.
    --

Blog Entries
    320 amp!!! I'm jealous!
    I've been following this and is an interesting build.
    I've helped build barns, sheds and shops before.... But that 1 day build still amazes me they were able to get it done that fast!