Page 19 of 61 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Delivery driver called me late this afternoon...he's arriving at about 06:30. Sheesh...I guess I'll have to roll out of bed a little earlier than normal. LOL But it's worth it!
    At least being the first delivery should practically eliminate any potential delays.

I hope everything went smoothly about the delivery. They must do this all the time, so maybe that will help them to be efficient.

As promised, a truck piled high with "building parts" arrived at oh-dark-thirty this morning. The dude was 15 minutes early so he had to wait until I brushed my teeth and put on some clothes. That was good, anyway, because in those few minutes, it got a lot lighter outside. Companies that "do this" really have things down to a system on how things are packed for easy roll-off. A prime example...there are concrete "cookies" that go at the bottom of the drilled holes under the posts. They are all encased within a square wrapped stack of all the posts so they didn't have to be unloaded manually from a pallet. Once they cut the bands, they can move a few posts and those concrete "cookies" are accessible to drop into the holes before they set the posts. The laminated posts already have brackets attached to fasten the uplift cross pieces. All the delicate trim pieces were held in an aluminum open rack to protect them during transport and all the small stuff was in a big poly "cooler crate". There is very little cutting that the build crew will have to do when they arrive Monday morning. The quality of the lumber seems to be outstanding.

IMG_2038.jpg IMG_2047.jpg IMG_2051.jpg

About 30 minutes after the delivery driver left, the "drilling team" arrived with a nice power tool. They did the basic layout to locate the building per my specifications and then put a bunch of holes into my nice, clean building pad. LOL I was very happy when the team leader indicated he felt that the pad was well compacted as I had never done that kind of work before. The drilling was easy...zero rocks as I expected...and the clay below the compacted base made for uber-clean holes.

IMG_2056.jpg IMG_2058.jpg IMG_2066.jpg IMG_2071.jpgIMG_2075.jpg

In addition to still photos as show, I took video by hand as well as had my DSLR setup for time lapse. For the latter, I'm glad I tried it out today as I found I forgot to change one setting which resulted in a very short video that only captured the first 25 minutes. That will get fixed for Monday's build. The DSLR is setup on the porch roof just outside my office window and has an excellent view...it should make for an interesting time lapse for sure as long as I don't screw up further. LOL

Hole inspection is tomorrow morning at 09:00.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, DSLR's used to be limited in the length of video they could take. The limit was 'less than 30 minute's. This was apparently due to the tax laws in Europe where video cameras were taxed at a higher rate than photographic cameras. I don't know if this is still the case but it was a limitation 5 years ago when I was researching video cameras. I'm not sure if Timelapse mode interacts with this limitation.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/67...ipaeustatement
    Mark McFarlane

I wish I had the space for a large shop build!

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Jim, DSLR's used to be limited in the length of video they could take. The limit was 'less than 30 minute's. This was apparently due to the tax laws in Europe where video cameras were taxed at a higher rate than photographic cameras. I don't know if this is still the case but it was a limitation 5 years ago when I was researching video cameras. I'm not sure if Timelapse mode interacts with this limitation.
    My D750 has plenty of available time... 1 second less than 8 hours for the max. I just forgot to change the setting. Of course, it's not practical to set the shoot time that long and create such a massive movie with 24mp stills every 5 or 10 seconds. So I'll likely do it in four hour increments so it's easier to monitor storage and battery status. I didn't want nor need to spend money on a dedicated camera like a GoPro for this as there are more critical needs I need to cover for the project. Example would be that some electrical components have increased in cost since my electrician quoted the job and I didn't lock in the cost with a very large deposit months in advance. My bad, but it wasn't financially possible to commit to him that early.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-08-2022 at 1:54 PM.
    --

This is the general view that the time lapse will have, albeit not zoomed quite so close. Assuming I don't screw something up. (this is an iPhone photo just for the view)

IMG_2078.jpg
    --

Can you plug that D750 into your computer USB and use it like a gopro? Might give you more storage or capture options if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Can you plug that D750 into your computer USB and use it like a gopro? Might give you more storage or capture options if so.
    Maybe...I can investigate that as it does have HDMI and USB. But one thing I did do is order an AC power adapter setup because the biggest challenge for time lapse is power. The biggest issue with plugging directly into my computer (which is within reasonable proximity) is that I have a "yuge" amount of stuff already plugged in via USB-C/Thunderbolt, USB-A, etc., including two large monitors, etc., and I'm loath to break things. I have time to check out the possibilities, however, or consider using an extra (but older) MBA for the task.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-08-2022 at 8:23 PM.
    --

The gentleman who got the short straw to be the inspector for this project was very happy with the 18 pretty holes in the ground when he stopped by this morning for the scheduled inspection. So unless some kind of strange thing happens, the building should go up on Monday and part of Tuesday.
    --

Blog Entries
    So exciting! It's amazing to watch these buildings go up. Congrats on the recent & upcoming milestones!
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Jim, will they be putting posts down into those holes, or pouring a concrete foundation? Just curious. Eagerly watching for updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Jim, will they be putting posts down into those holes, or pouring a concrete foundation? Just curious. Eagerly watching for updates.
    Greg, some 16" diameter by about 8" thick concrete "cookies" go in the bottom of the holes. The PT ends of the posts sit on top of that, have dual uplift brackets and get a few bags of concrete in the hole before they are backfilled with the material removed. There is no "foundation" for this post frame structure. Some folks do choose to use either posts with concrete bottoms or pour round footings with steel brackets on top for the posts, but that's more common for larger structures. It's not necessary for a 24x36 building and is more costly. The laminated posts have a lifetime warranty and honestly, it will be someone else's lifetime.
    --

For your entertainment..."Day One", as it were, with material delivery and hole drilling.

--

Nice generator, Jim. Glad it and the propane tanks are still there after the truck passed through.

That post hole digger is awesome!!!

You must be thrilled at the progress. Never thought to video my shop, but not freestanding, so would not have been as enjoyable as watching your video.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.